Optima Batteries

reward69

Advance auto has 25% off on all batteries and was looking to get a new cranking battery. ANyone run these that can provide feedback?

bringit

check the web for optima bats!because if u have a charge system that puts out more than 10amps a battery with cicular cells are not recommended,fact.also check your owners man also.not trying to give crap news but i have seen these bats explode because they are not for large charging systems and they also had loose connections.its not a pretty sight.they are very good for trolmotors,no doubt!

harrells

I have the blue top marine battery 1000 cranking amps. Been in the Allison for three years now without any problems. The key to battery life is to keep it on the battery tender when not in use.

allison xtb

I love my Optimas I run them in my classic car as well as my boats cranking and troller. No corrosion and +1 on the tender.
Oh yea be sure to check height because some are to tall to get into the battery compartment.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Rather than re-type my whole optima story, I'll just post up a link for you. Long story short, don't try to crank off the blue tops with the light blue case if you've got a newer motor with a motorola ECU. That doesn't mean they're bad batteries if you just use 'em to run the troller and have a 3rd cranking batt, either an optima with the dark grey case or a wet cell, but I could kill my two with the trolling motor in about 2/3 of a day if i was fishing in heavy wind and current (running the troller or 80-100% the whole time).

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=3969&highlight=optima

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=4010&highlight=optima

suicidealli

You must have the correct charger or you will kill it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a gel charger from walmart is a good charger, but it will kill a optima!!!!!!!!!!! buy the optimal charger, or a charger just for a gel battery.. i run a braile charger it works fine.

roy

bringit

damn it dont argue with me i know everything about nuttin!!!!!!lol whichin crunks it?

allison xtb

I run the yellow top for cranking and troll. I remove them every spring and put them in my modified electric wheelchair that I take to the Charlotte Auto Show. I run them hard all weekend (3days). I charge them at night but I could make it all weekend, I just dont take the chance. Ever tried to push one of those things.
Gary

bringit

im sorry but that last statement just sounded wrong.please lord forgive me but,if ya in a chair for a reason?isnt it gonna be kinda hard toooo push it ppppphphhhhhahahahhahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!im so sorrryyyyy i got a warped image of that.sorry gary

Fishforcash

The old Optimas were awesome. I am not a fan of the new "Mexican Made" ones, had two bite the dust on me and to be brutally honest I just dont have faith in them anymore.

Theres better options out there. Odyssey is now making the Die Hard Platnum Marine battery. The great thing is having Sears garantee and stores coast to coast, they are almost as plentifull as Wal Mart with a much better product. Much better option and only a couple of pounds heavier. 880 CCA/1050MCA vs 800CCA/1000MCA (Optima) and 49lbs for the Odyssey, 53lbs for the DieHard vs 44lbs for the Optima. More cold cranking amps, more reserve, and same price. Only a few more pounds.

DeKa is also making a spiral cell knock off through Car Quest.

bringit

i've seen alot of made in mexico stamps on recent merc parts come to think of it!