Pics of different chopper cuts

catfish123

Hullbilly.......keep your eye on it..........in 9 years of running my Allison, that prop was the only one I ever cracked a blade on.

catfish123

Here is a picture of the crack. If anyone wants to make me an offer on this prop, a 28 Chopper II with Allison cut by Performance, let me know. It is in perfect shape other than this crack in the one blade. All offers considered.

Attachments

Last edited:

catfish123

Wow.........tough question. I have had so many and all have both strong and weak points. I have a 26 Chopper II that I like a lot and it had been worked by Tillman. I have a 30 Chopper II and a 30 ET both worked by Robbie Patterson. They are both great top end props. My 26 ET is very fast out of the hole, excellent acceleration, and a top end now with my raised limiter of about 92 mph. Contrary to some others, I found a 26 Trophy to be an all around good prop. 28 Chopper II and 28 ET ran well. Favorite now would probably be 26 ET but only because of the raised limiter on my 225X.

catfish123

I actually bought it used and the work had already been done so I'm not at all sure it had been "worked" for an Allison. It appears to me to have more tip cup. It comes out of the hole strong, accelerates well, and acts more like a 28 pitch on top end. At equal top end rpm's, it runs about 4-5 mph faster than any other 26 pitch prop I have ever had.

hullbilly

Well,

Sent the new 28 allison cut chopper back to Billy. Ran it this past weekend and had two big problems. First was that I had way more vibration than the 4 blade 26 Trophy I learned to drive with. Enough to vibrate the entire boat and make a noticable noise while cruising. Is this normal for a chopper? Anyway, didn't like that. Second, and most suprising, was that the prop did not have enough bow lift for my boat with a medium/light load. This is contrary to everything I've heard about the choppers, but I was having to run a lot of positive trim to get the bow to lift, which made the boat act a little funny.

Got a few questions:

1. After the weed cutters have been removed, is it normal to see and feel a noticeable "out-of-round" area where they were removed on the back of the barrel? Mine has 3 flat spots where they were removed, so the barrel is not perfectly round. Problem?

2. One blade has a trailing edge that feels a little different from the rest. Is stays thicker a little further up the blade. Problem?

3. I was told the chopper would probably like to run a little higher than the trophy. On average, when going from a 26 Trophy to a 28 chopper, how much higher should the motor be?

Thanks for the help!

(oh yeah, I tried a buddy's 28 ET and it had a ton of bow lift on my boat. Only variable is that he thinks it may have had extra work for his 21 ft. bullet, but he wasn't sure. It too had more vibration thent he 26 trophy.)