pro stock 2.5 on an 03??

90 5.0

Haven't decided what to hang on my 03, and i see these for sale pretty cheap in my area all the time.

Was wondering how it would run compared to my pm, and if i decided to make a few dsra events for fun how bad i would get wooped in an 03.

I bought a bullet to fish out of and was going to sell the 03, but i've decided to keep it, hang the PM on the bullet and put something else on the ally.

Gonna take all the fishing stuff off the ally, and just keep it wired for the console graph, so i can have navigation /gps/depth when i want it and just make a cruiser out if it instead of a tourney rig.

M.ALEXIE

If you have it tuned and proped right you could win.
1825lbs for a prostock engine and 1875lbs for a promax.
Need to be about 90mph in the quater.

suicidealli

I think the 03 is going to be to heavy... I "heard" the rules changed this year, and the lake racer "bass boat" class they lowered the weight limit down. Also the smaller the hp the lighter you can be. So with the extra weight of an 03 you might be heavier with the 200 pro stock, than the guy you are racing with an 02 and a drag.... I hope it makes sense....
Anyway the pro stock 200 are great motors, if they are built with the pro stock internals. If you take a bone stock 200, and set it up for pro stock and spin up, prolly wont last to long.. The merc pistons aren't great, and they have plastic caged rod bearings. Not great for the higher rpms. Built right they run awesome, and can last a long time. They will put a hurtin on a stock 225pm in a drag race... Won't even be close. You wil spin prolly a 1000+ more rpms than a stock promax on your 03, in a drag race. Now If the 225pm is set up like a pro stock that is a different story...

You need to look at the rules, and weight...
Somebody should chime in about the weight.

I'm building a 200 now. It is going to be a little healthier than a 200 tho. It is getting a couple of sleeves now. I expect it to run with the 260/280 if both are on pump gas.JMO

Roy

Last edited:

M.ALEXIE

He would fall in the ProBass & ski class. No drag motors in there. But that does not matter, weights are set per combination.

90 5.0

He would fall in the ProBass & ski class. No drag motors in there. But that does not matter, weights are set per combination.
i thought i saw 1400lbs, or was that pro stock class, and pro stock motor in perf bass and ski is 1825??

There is no way i could get the 03 down to 1400 rigged with me in it i don't think.

I just want something i can have fun with on sundays at the river, that can make 100 mile trips(not wide open lol) run as good as my pm or better and be able to show up at a few races and not get destroyed.

I don't have the time to "win" i know how much time that takes, i would just want to be reasonably "competitive" enough for it to be fun.

I see the pro-stock motors with 2-3 races on them for sale drop on cheaper than i do 260's or pm's so that's why i was thinking about one.

patches

The 1400 lb is a Prostock 200 in Lake Racer. Your 2003 won't get that light. So far I've only seen one 2002 that will. Marty is right, a PS powerhead on a 2003 is a Performance Bass and Ski boat. Mark Screen did well in the class in 09 with a 2003.

patches

Btw, if you're just using this boat for a riding boat you oughta consider selling it for a 2002. I think you'd really like one

90 5.0

i thought mark has a 280 when he ran perf b+s not a ps motor??

And if i was building a combo to race primarily and ride around i would prolly find a 2002.

I just love my boat to much to sell i think, it's too nice. I've been around a bunch of 2002's, i considered one before i bought the 03, i just like the 03's better even though i know they aren't as fast..

If i was going to sell my boat i wouldn't replace it, i'd just run the bullet all the time, fishing and play riding like i do my 03 now..

that's prolly what a smart man would do anyway lol

patches

I understand that

Mark had a stock 225 Promax on his 2003 when he ran PBS. Weights are lighter now than when he ran his. I say do you up a PS motor and come give it a try, you might like it. LOL
First race is tentative for April 6-7 in Catahoula. All classes run 1/8 mile at this site. Probably my favorite one of all the ones we run

M.ALEXIE

If you want to drive one come to the San Jac one day we will be testing up till the Winter Nats.

90 5.0

If you want to drive one come to the San Jac one day we will be testing up till the Winter Nats.
I'm on the Sj pretty often on Sunday's as of late.

I have the white and blue 03 with the 15" mariner, let me know when y'all will be testing and I'll ride by.

90 5.0

This is a great answer
Unless you had an 03 as nice as mine, it doesn't need anything.

Just took it to Kevin and had it buffed and the fishing stump scratches fixed.
It's like a frikin new boat, I always keep it nice. :)

I would have to fix up whatever 02 I bought, I'm already redoing a bullet. Redoing one boat at a time is enough :lol:

allison8503

I think at the weight of PBS the 03 is a better choice. It's a little wider and helps on the hole shot. The only person that I can think of that really set a 03 up to really try and drag race it in PBS was Mark and he won. Now if you strip the two boats down the 02 will accelerate harder but at = weight I don't think there is any difference, and PBS doesn't run real high MPH for the smaller boat to make that big of a difference on the big end.

bullwhipjkg

i think at the weight of pbs the 03 is a better choice. It's a little wider and helps on the hole shot. The only person that i can think of that really set a 03 up to really try and drag race it in pbs was mark and he won. Now if you strip the two boats down the 02 will accelerate harder but at = weight i don't think there is any difference, and pbs doesn't run real high mph for the smaller boat to make that big of a difference on the big end.
agreed

bigtis

The prostock setup on a xb03 is a great lil combo. Prop the boat fir 78-8300 wfo and it's got some snap.