Ran a couple of props today

JOEALLY

Today, me (180#) & passenger (100#) ran a 28 hydromotive quad IV OT & a 30 ET.

28 hydro
22 gallons fuel, water in livewells, our fishing load.
90 mph bumping limiter (6850)

30 ET
14 gallons fuel, water in livewells, our fishing load.
89.7 on the limiter pretty easy.

Me & passenger both sat up front.

The 30 ET was bought used and has a prop shop stamp on the side; neither me nor the previous owner knows what was done to it. It "felt" like it was slipping a good bit.

I didn't play with the hydro much at all. I feel like there may be 1-2 mph left in it.

xb03

Yeah, that 30p et must be closer to a 28p, that sucks :argue

JOEALLY

So which one did you like all around better??????
Really hard to say due to only a very short run with the hydro. They both handled good; the hydro may have handled a little better - the Hydro also may have had a little quicker hole shot.

Last edited:

catfish123

Joe.......thanks for posting.......I always enjoy your posts as you provide interesting, specific, information. I would agree that the 30 ET is acting more like a 28 pitch. I would expect that with just one person, it should run 93-94 if it's pitch is as it is stamped, a 30. I would have also expected the 28 Hydro to have the better holeshot but the work that had been done on the 30 may have changed that as well. Keep the posts coming, Bob.

JOEALLY

Joe.......thanks for posting.......I always enjoy your posts as you provide interesting, specific, information. I would agree that the 30 ET is acting more like a 28 pitch. I would expect that with just one person, it should run 93-94 if it's pitch is as it is stamped, a 30. I would have also expected the 28 Hydro to have the better holeshot but the work that had been done on the 30 may have changed that as well. Keep the posts coming, Bob.
Bob, after reading your post, I went back & looked over my written notes from yesterday & realized that the hydro did have the better hole shot. That's why I right things down:LMAO:

I was tired last night and read my notes wrong I guess :big grin

I'll edit the previous

TBuck2003

Today, me (180#) & passenger (100#) ran a 28 hydromotive quad IV OT & a 30 ET.

28 hydro
22 gallons fuel, water in livewells, our fishing load.
90 mph bumping limiter (6850)

30 ET
14 gallons fuel, water in livewells, our fishing load.
89.7 on the limiter pretty easy.

Me & passenger both sat up front.

The 30 ET was bought used and has a prop shop stamp on the side; neither me nor the previous owner knows what was done to it. It "felt" like it was slipping a good bit.

I didn't play with the hydro much at all. I feel like there may be 1-2 mph left in it.
Joe,
Good Running. Please post RPM's as I would like to see efficiency numbers as well. Also include if your pad is stock or not. The OT likes to run up high so I am guessing you have at LEAST a couple left on the table. You also had 55-60 lbs more weight in the boat based on fuel load, with the 4 blade. Good job, be fast be safe

TBuck

JOEALLY

Joe,
Good Running. Please post RPM's as I would like to see efficiency numbers as well. Also include if your pad is stock or not. The OT likes to run up high so I am guessing you have at LEAST a couple left on the table. You also had 55-60 lbs more weight in the boat based on fuel load, with the 4 blade. Good job, be fast be safe

TBuck
My limiter is 6850 rpms. Lip is not stock, almost completely gone. The hydro ran 90 @ 1 3/4" above the pad.

The ET ran 89.7 @ 1 1/2" above the pad, it was actually 1-2 mph slower @ 1 3/4" above.

Both props on limiter, but ET was on it harder.

TBuck2003

My limiter is 6850 rpms. Lip is not stock, almost completely gone. The hydro ran 90 @ 1 3/4" above the pad.

The ET ran 89.7 @ 1 1/2" above the pad, it was actually 1-2 mph slower @ 1 3/4" above.

Both props on limiter, but ET was on it harder.
Thx Joe,
The OT was @ 7.4% slip which is good at that height. The ET was 13.8 % slip. It probably is a 30p , but it does not like to run that high, which is why you got excessive rpm's and hard into limiter. ET is a GOOD prop just does not do its best at 1.5" above the bottom... You can probably go up another 1/4" with the OT, and pull some more out of it, you will be limited by pitch though. Send that box off, and get a 7300 limiter, and you will be screamin' !!!!!!

TBuck

BigCountryx

Sounds like that OT will suit your rig better than it did mine, it was a great prop with a lighter than normal load, but so is my chopper. With my normal load the Chopper wins. Of course I weigh 70lbs more than you right off the bat, plus my 3rd battery, aux fuel tank and a rediculous amount of tackle. May have been better suited with a little lip shaving. Hope you enjoy it. Neal said it was his favorite fishing prop for his 03.

xb03

Its funny that you say lower the et Todd, because Joe and I was also talking about lowering it a little to give it some more bite and lower rpms. I would definitely give that a try Joe before you give up on the et.

TBuck2003

Its funny that you say lower the et Todd, because Joe and I was also talking about lowering it a little to give it some more bite and lower rpms. I would definitely give that a try Joe before you give up on the et.
You always have to try... I think the OT will be the prop, just based on the fact with 2" less pitch it is running as fast or faster than a 30 with holeshot to boot. Remember he ran heavier also with the 28 OT. This will make a nice two man fishing prop... JMO

TBuck

catfish123

The 30 ET's I ran with 1 person in the boat at 6850 would run right around 93.5mph. With 2 pretty good sized people, it would run 91.5-92mph. I would be surprised if you pick up much speed by lowering it, but of course, anything is possible. I'll be interested to see how that works out. With the 30 ET's I've had, they would let you know when you were too high ----------by then it was too late!...........LOL..........Up to that point however, I always picked up more speed even though the slip number got somewhat higher............Good luck and most of all........stay safe. AND FOR THE FINAL TIME...........HYDROMOTIVE QUAD IV OT'S ARE GREAT PROPS FOR YOUR BOAT AND MOTOR! Todd offers up once again excellent advice when he suggests raising the limiter to 7300.

Last edited:

resqu-u

Jared, I just bought the ET you sold Jay a couple weeks ago. He's tweaked it on his 03 and just can't get the RPM's down for his Yami. I've been waiting to find the right ET and can't wait to get it! With his mod's it should run great with my PM..

xb03

Shane, that prop looks alot better than when I had it lol, and should be alot faster. Let us know when you run it.

JOEALLY

Yesterday (Saturday) at blast off, my 28 hydromotive ran 90.3 mph with 30 gallons of gas, me & my son & fishing load. Hitting the limiter at 6850 rpms.

Thursday it ran even 90 mph with the same load and 22 gallons of fuel.

Friday night, I did raise the motor a grunt (maybe an 1/16 - 1/8"). The boat still feels like I can come up a touch more.

I havent ran the ET again yet.

catfish123

I'm sort of anxious to hear what that 28 OT does with just you in the boat without a fishing load. Keep us posted.

JOEALLY

I lowered the motor to 1" above today (previously ran 30 et @ 1.5" above).

I ran 90.3 with 25 gallons of fuel, water in the livewells, me, my son, and our typical tournament load.

So, even though I had more fuel and water in livewell than last timeout, it only picked up about 1 mph. This is going from 1.5" above down to 1" above.

I'm still on the limiter (6850) with this 30ET.

catfish123

I'm not surprised as I didn't believe you would pick up much speed by dropping it down. Keep the results coming, always interesting reading. An increase of .6 mph is very little as you already know.

JOEALLY

I'm not surprised as I didn't believe you would pick up much speed by dropping it down. Keep the results coming, always interesting reading. An increase of .6 mph is very little as you already know.
Yea, there's too many variables to even call it an increase to me. I may run the hydro solo today.