Repairing your trailer jack

white03

hey guys

There was a post down in the for sale section about anyone who had a trailer jack for sale, I was on e of those that replied saying I also needed a trailer jack. I thought I did because mine was stiff to wind and screamed like a banshee when using it. Figured after 15 years it was just wore out.

Well I never did find a replacement and since it's winter I thought I would take it apart just to see what was wrong, why not I couldn't hurt it any more! So removing the jack from the trailoer and then removing the top cover allows access to the gears, I cleaned them real good but couldn't figure out how to disassemble the jack any further to get at the inside. So after some trial and error I found that by turning it upside down you can squirt oil in the very small gap that appears between the lower and upper sections (I actually used some graphite mixture that is meant to be put into sticky locks, it is very thin and ran right in and down inside the two sections). I put a whole bunch of that stuff in and then with the jack still upside down I started spinning the handle to raise and lower the roller. Then let it sit overnight and did the same thing the next day. One warning, when you turn the jack right side up all that oil you squirt in will come running out so be sure it runs out where you don't care about it. Re-greased the gears at the top and put the top cover back on. She works good as new now!!!

So if your jack still works but is tough to turn, try this and it'll free it back up

Bill

njj502

Good tip! I also found that applying gear oil in mass quantities works also on the top gear....just plan on a big a$$ mess later...

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I know that Bulldog has replacement parts, particularly the gears. Assume the other manufacturers do too.

suicidealli

I have always oiled them.. Mine has a piece of metal plate that goes through it. I believe A gear must sit on it. It slides around to much, and the gears slip. If I push the plate in with my thumb it works perfect... It needs to move for the crank to move in both directions. It is just to sloppy.... :-(
Roy