Ron hill vs merc

blake985

Anybody have experience with both particularly the ET. I'm just wondering how a 28 Ron hill ET would compare to a 28 merc lightning et?

whipper

On what combo? personally dont like stock et,s and not a big ron hill cut fan of anything. If you get an ET Bill evens or JC,s do an allison profile in an ET that Ive heard many on hear say they like. Ive never tryed one like that though. Never heard many guys say they liked the ron hills either.

A little advice in buying used props. Theres always a reason there for sale. My favorites to buy are when guys go from a 2.5 small shaft to a 3.0 lt. Ya know they were his keepers and just needs to sell the smaller stuff to buy larger ones for the lower rpm,ed bigblocks.:beer: Thats the case with my last prop and its one of the top 3 props ive ever tryed.

whipper

I would try a 28 drag3 or a hydromitve 27 T3-X before an ET. Unless you could find a stock ET and have it cut. Theres a chopper11 for sale right now that are great stock or for modds by Todd at Hydromotive. Good blades on the chopper11,s and 5inch blade area for modding for Allisons. JR and lots of guys run Chopper11,s stock and re profiled. In my opionion for what its worth iI feel an ET is best suited for lighter setups or tunnels. An SS,RR,or XB02 they would run better than on an 03 I feel. Also if you had a 260 or 280 on your 03 that might be differant but again it doesnt change my feelings that theres better suited props for your boat motor combo than ET,s. Mine was new uncut hatted it compared to others I mentioned. Cut seems to be what guys with lots of HP and lighter hulls like. They dont lift as bad for guys running well over 100. Less flighty than others is why they like them. but with a ProStock 200 or 225 you,ll need the lift to trim into the 90,s IMO.

blake985

Yea that all makes a lot of sense. I'm also very curious to try a drag 4? I've been told they do good on the 03's?

Some of the props I've tried.......
25 txp- mid 80s on the limiter
26 trophy plus mid 80s on the limiter
28 trophy plus 89 don't remember the rpms it was choppy as hell didn't look down
Also a dog out of the hole wouldn't be a great overall prop
30 chopper mid 80s at 6200 couldn't turn it worth a sh**
30 some kind of cut chopper? Could barely keep the bow up. Felt like it was about to let it fall so I backed out.

Jimxb02

With the power you have I would try a 28" drag three or call Todd at hydromotive for his help. The quad 4 OT from Hydromotive always works well on the XB03's.

I have a 28" Drag 3 on my XB2002 with 225 Promax --- with raised limiter. Runs 99 to 100 GPS. Or plan "B" , send a used chopper to Todd for a Knob cut.

Jim

chad202

The holder Ron Hill prop has issues. Now that their casted I haven't heard of many issues. I've ran a couple of them vs the Merc ETs. The hill 3blades seem to pull harder than the Mercs. The merc 4blades seem to out perform the hill 4blade. I've cracked two Merc Ets. Haven't cracked a Hill prop.

whipper

Like jim said.:beer: Everything looks good with your speeds untill the 30 at 6200. Make sure your running 1/4 below the pad. Any lower with some props that are designed to run semi surfaced will dog because the blades cant catch air on the rotation to spin them. The ones we mentioned like 1/4 below to even with the pad. Start at 1/4 below for a long time. Move it up only after you really get to know a prop because that little change makes a big differance in handeling. You may decide 1/4 below is perfict once you reach your trim limits is why. No point in going higher if your as fast as you like.:beer:

Lotus 50

I borrowed a Ron Hill copy of a Hoss Triton for my Baja last year. It was a great prop. Too much pitch for me, but very impressive. Smaller diameter 13 spline prop. Does Hoss make V4 props?

whipper

http://69.24.70.63/adamsdock/chopper.html Book mark this page. it has all the merc numbers. It will help you identifiy what your buying. That et copy cut from a Chopper11 does look good. Lots of times the copys run better than the stock et as there not exact and might have more cup for lift and less slip. You have to try some till ya find whats right for your combo. As you know no two props will be the same. Not flow torque but rubber hub insert.

This is a good buy maybe? The price is right. OBO for the chopper11 with allison cut. http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=14361

Last edited:

blake985

Thanks for all the help and advice. You guys are always willing to help.

I ran that prop in the pics 80 mph on the limiter. It pulled hard, carried the boat great and got on the limiter quick. Felt like it had plenty more!!!

I'm either gonna send my ecu off to have the limiter raised and fuel curve added, or sell the 2 ecu's I have and get me a brucato acu before I spend a whole lot of $ on a prop.

So anybody trying to get rid of an acu?
or want to buy a stock 225 ecu or 2:wink

whipper

A 28 on the limitter at 80 has loads of slip going on. Thats 16-17% @ 6750. An Allison should be in the 8-10% range or less. That prop should be run 1/4 below or higher like even. I would tripple check your propshaft hight. Your either buried to far in the water like an inch or more, or you had more trim to play with as you should see 85 with a 28 with out any issues at 1/4 below. FYI :beer: A 25 pitch will see 80 setup corectly with a stock limitter. You can run a 14 1/2 dia prop at even with the pad pretty easly. If thats a handfull just go 1/4 below or 1/8 below with out any issues you must be lower?. If your and you adjust to 1/4 below and running 80 bump the trim one more time and hold it there till the speed catches up. Then try one more again untill say 83-84 mph your were that prop should be. if your speed doesnt go up so much as a .2 but your rpm did back off slow. This providing that the prop shaft hight is below 1inch below right now. At 1/4 below if you try this you will see. If you are at 1/4 below right now and this is what your getting from that prop sell it or get some tip cup done because its not working very well.:wink
80mph should have been around 6300 rpm not 6750. A good 28 at 1/4 below should yield closer to 90. 87-88 is a good 28:] 85-86 is conservitve trim. Just dont trim up to get these speeds untill you can be sure you are to far below right now. If you are at 6750 and are at 1/4 below right now then the prop isnt doing anything for ya and youll just over trim trying. Be safe.

Last edited:

blake985

The pencil roll on my pad has been taken down to only .10 so my motor is 1-1/2" above the pad. So I'm prob not too low with my 26 trophy on the same set up I run mid 80's.

While I was at 80 I hit the trim up, up and I didn't like the sound I heard? I've never blown out a prop from over trimming but in my mind that sound was the prop screaming for me to stop trimming lol

So if you had my set up and could only have one prop what prop would it be???? Your gonna buy a brand new prop what prop?? What pitch?? What finish??

So many props so little $ (that I can spend without my wife cutting me!)

whipper

The pencil roll on my pad has been taken down to only .10 so my motor is 1-1/2" above the pad. So I'm prob not too low�� with my 26 trophy on the same set up I run mid 80's.

While I was at 80 I hit the trim up, up and I didn't like the sound I heard? I've never blown out a prop from over trimming but in my mind that sound was the prop screaming for me to stop trimming �� lol

So if you had my set up and could only have one prop what prop would it be???? Your gonna buy a brand new prop what prop?? What pitch?? What finish??

So many props so little $ (that I can spend without my wife cutting me!)��
Wow that real high:shock: maybe the other senerio is happening like not biting enough then. Whats your limmiter is it 6750 with the 200? Like Gotmyally said the 225 will probably like somthing differant. I have no lip at all on my xb03 {same basic bottom} I have the ability to raise my motor to 1.5 above also and it was to high when I tryed it lots over. No bite compared to at even with the pad. At over an inch above you would have no ability to trim. But you also would have less blade in the water. Good for rpm but not good for forward thrust. Just my opion but i would for sure try it lower. When you can run wot and get 9 or less slip your more in the ball park. Other factors than slip numbers can effect speed but you were at 17%. Thats the first fix to tell if that prop is going to be good or not. it looks nice.:beer: But running 7-10 mph to slow for a 28 on an XB2003 with a prostock 200 providing the limitter isnt at 6300?.

blake985

My limiter is at 6750. Good question chad as of now I'm just fishing and weekend riding. and for fishing the 26 trophy does great! I'm just wanting to be faster than that on the weekend rides! And try not to b**ch at me for getting rid of the 280:idiot no really I don't regret it I was scared of the $ if I burnt it up! If I had a prop that would put me over 90 and still get up ok that would be great:smile

Maybe ill have to wait till the promax is done to get there????