Santy Claus hotrod...

RedAllison

Welp I musta been real good this year!!!??? :cuss :big grin

Mrs. Claus said, "OK" so before she changed her mind I bought my dads 1972 454SS Chevelle. It's a true "W code" (meaning 454 in the VIN) car from south TX. Built the 3rd week of June, 1972 (it's 11 mths younger than myself) at the Arlington, TX plant it was sold new in the San Antonio area and stayed in south TX it's entire life until my dad bought it at the Leake/Mecum Auction at Tulsa in June of 06. The colors are original, "Cream Yellow" with white stripes. A "horseshoe shifter" in the floor console between white buckets. A 400Turbo 3spd automatic mated too a 12 bolt 3.31 Posi rear end (got 4.10s in it now but finta put 3.31s back in her for cruising).

The original block wasn't in it but it does have a "correct, date coded" 72 LS5 454 block that was built a month before the car was. Cowl Induction hood (my boys get a kick seein it jump open when I tromp on her), A/C, tilt rally wheel, adjustable driverside mirror, am/fm, 60x15 GM stamped "copies" of the Thrust wheels... pretty neat optioned car. It was restored a few years ago and the only thing not put back to original was the white vinyl roof. I hate vinyl roofs anyway because they rust underneath so bad and just look dated anyway so I'm glad that one option was not restored.

In the two years my dad has had it he had a new radiator installed, restored the A/C system (works fine) and the suspension was replaced (new springs, shocks, bushings, everything). Drives and tracks awesome, doesn't wander or require any steering correction. He also had the motor yanked and restored the motor back too true LS5 (365hp) specs, new crank, pistons, rods, bearings, heads, a Quadra Jet carb (atop the original intake that came with the car) well ok so he put a Crane cam in it plus a Mallory electronic ignition. She rocks, rolls and rumbles at the stop light like a big block Chevy is supposed to!!! :cool

I've always wanted a big block muscle car to play with and now I can share it with my boys. The fact that it was their grandfathers REALLY means more too me than anything else. I wanted to keep it in the family in the worse way. Unless the world falls down tomorrow this one is staying around to handed down too my boys one day.

RA

Attachments

F2008

RA,
SWEET looking ride. The neatest part of the whole history is it's getting passed down from father to son(s). There's some lucky boys right there. Enjoy it!

I'm hoping my brother-in-law feels the same and passes his '68 396 frame off resto on to me (he has no sons) :big grin Here's a few of your older sister.
D

Attachments

RedAllison

COOL DEAL F08!!! :beer: I love these old 'velles, our body style is my favorite (68-72) plus it's something I can enjoy with my wife and kids at the same time. Never could with the Harley, in fact I'll probably sell it nextyear unless the market just totally tanks beyond reason.

The
in me wants to massage her up too about 500hp and do a few things to have occasional fun on the strip with her. But the
in me says keep it all original since it's a correct car and nice to just enjoy cruising and showNshines with my boys in it. Being it was built late June of 72, it's one of the last of the true muscle cars from GM from that era. There was 5,333 454 'velles built in 72.

I guess that's the fun of these ol pieces of Detroit iron, it's something you can plink around with and share with others! :at the bar
RA

BigRedAlli

Nice ride ya got their Red!!!

Ain't no reason ya can't run her down the drag strip a few times as she sits!!! :wink

My brother-in-law is in process of restoring one now, only he went a different direction. A purpos built spare-no-expence drag car for the 1/8 mile. Not my choice of car for 1/8 mile, but should look good going down the track...:twisted evil

Congratulations!!!

F2008

plus it's something I can enjoy with my wife and kids at the same time. Never could with the Harley, in fact I'll probably sell it nextyear unless the market just totally tanks beyond reason.
RA, Don't do it! Some time a man needs time alone to think. I thought about selling mine to buy an Allison. Took a ride then bought a less expensive Allison. Now I have both. Here's mine. Notice there's seating for one. :big grin

Attachments

J

John Richied

Maybe RA will bring her to the rally and leave the keys in the ignition

RedAllison

Dangit Pinkie don't go givin me anymore ideas. :twisted evil I think I done pushed Mrs. Clauses toy limit with this car as it is, the garage looks like a big boys toy store. The next few big toys around here are gonna hafta be the diamonds and pearls kinda toys for her or I'll never hear the end of it. :punch

It's all a grand conspiracy I tell ya, they MAKE us feel guilty about our toys while all along they KNOW it'll just get THEM more sparkly, blingin toys and hush money!!! :embarassed
RA

IRONBLOCK

Nice looking ride. I saw the S.S. photo a while back and wondered if I was looking at a car or a boat's "S.S." It looks like several people have the car, fishing, boating and motorcycling addiction or um, hobby. All those horses should be able to pull a boat; where is the trailer hitch?

The '59 Ironblock, "Old blue" (to the left) was with one owner for 40 years before me. Keep the shiny side up and the wheels spinning.