Saw a xb2003/250

JOEALLY

Yesterday I was fishing north of Mobile Bay and saw a red/black wing tips xb2003 / 250 Pro XS on the river.

He was fishing and I was surprised at how high the back of the boat was out of the water. He was on the front deck and a partner on the back.

It looked about like mine does at rest. I didn't get close enough to see if he had any flotation in the plate or not.

It didn't look "as out of sorts" as I had pictured that it would on the water.

h2oskiier30

Joe, there's also one down there with a 300XS on it. Kenny Franklin has run one for several years.

JOEALLY

Joe, there's also one down there with a 300XS on it. Kenny Franklin has run one for several years.
I talked to a guy at Gravine that mentioned Kenny. He also knew the name of the guy I seen, I "think" I remember him saying the guys name was Norman. But Im not sure about that.

ally25

Hey Guys,
I just got my 250 sport xs out of break-in on a 2003xb. So far the set-up changes from a 225 super mag is, 1] went from 13.5" set back to 5.5" cmc hs hyd. 2] between the plate and hull I fabbed a deflector plate that extends 9" from transom toward motor. It starts at the top of the transom off-set and is angled down due to transom angle. It had to be this far down for clearance of jackplate at full down pos. It does not touch water at speed above 15-20mph. It does help in a big way coming off plane. I can pull the throttle off at 50mph and it will not wet the back deck. I always had to watch this with the old set-up and lighter motor. Since it did not help so much in the hole shot, I put an after market hyd/foil on the cav.plate. The foil I like is differant from most other high perf. set-ups, but I can tell you it works. Bow never blocks foward view. It will let the boat stay on clean plane at 16mph. Those mods. took care of two concerns of the 3.0. Next I will be pulling the lower unit to have some torque mods. done to help high speed control. This has been a project I've wanted to do and thought I would share what I am learning about these great boats. Will post pics. if anybody is intrested.

JOEALLY

Hey Guys,
I just got my 250 sport xs out of break-in on a 2003xb. So far the set-up changes from a 225 super mag is, 1] went from 13.5" set back to 5.5" cmc hs hyd. 2] between the plate and hull I fabbed a deflector plate that extends 9" from transom toward motor. It starts at the top of the transom off-set and is angled down due to transom angle. It had to be this far down for clearance of jackplate at full down pos. It does not touch water at speed above 15-20mph. It does help in a big way coming off plane. I can pull the throttle off at 50mph and it will not wet the back deck. I always had to watch this with the old set-up and lighter motor. Since it did not help so much in the hole shot, I put an after market hyd/foil on the cav.plate. The foil I like is differant from most other high perf. set-ups, but I can tell you it works. Bow never blocks foward view. It will let the boat stay on clean plane at 16mph. Those mods. took care of two concerns of the 3.0. Next I will be pulling the lower unit to have some torque mods. done to help high speed control. This has been a project I've wanted to do and thought I would share what I am learning about these great boats. Will post pics. if anybody is intrested.
Very interested. Pics please.

ally25

Here are some pics. of set-up as it is now.I will post more imformation and pics. as it progresses. You will notice I still have manual steering on the boat, that is because I want to get torque under control before changing to hyd. As you know it is much easier to feel what is going on before it is masked by hyd. I also had to put 10lbs.in the front compartment to offset weight alittle. I weighed the boat at the front dolly before changing my old set-up. My trailer is a single axle and my wt. was 150lbs. so I tried to match that with new set-up. Thanks for you intrest in this project

Attachments

fnshrmaster

Here are some pics. of set-up as it is now.I will post more imformation and pics. as it progresses. You will notice I still have manual steering on the boat, that is because I want to get torque under control before changing to hyd. As you know it is much easier to feel what is going on before it is masked by hyd. I also had to put 10lbs.in the front compartment to offset weight alittle. I weighed the boat at the front dolly before changing my old set-up. My trailer is a single axle and my wt. was 150lbs. so I tried to match that with new set-up. Thanks for you intrest in this project
Looks good, let us know how it runs and handles. Kurt

whipper

Your cav plate looks like the guys from up hear that had a 300 on his GS. He said the big plate made a big difference also. He also used a 3deg wedge i believe? Good job. In stock form the hulls arnt meant to have motors a little heavier on them as per darris concerns. That doesn't mean ya cant make it work. Its important ya just don't bolt it on a go, ya need to make it work. Setup is key to safety as you have done. Good Job.

I think it would be nice to have all the guys who have been running 3.0lters to start a thread and describe there findings on what worked and what didn't. That way others who are contemplating making the necessary mods to accommodate these motors have a guideline with there setups. It would make it safer for anyone trying it not to make the same mistakes twice threw others experience.

Eventuallycould have a sticky as to what needs to be done if your trying this? Basics like Setback ,plates and driving differences? Weight distribution etc...

Last edited:

ally25

Thanks Guys,
I will get some pics. in the water next time out. The foil I'm using is the Sport se 300. I had one on my other set-up that worked great. You do not need wedges with this foil. The design has more area farther aft than other foils that really help the boat take off flat. I've owned this boat for over 11yrs.with the 225 on it, so I'm trying to match handling of what I'm use to. I'm really looking foward to the cruise mpg that this rig will produce. I do know from the smart craft gage, during break-in running 2X oil and jack down and trim netural, 4000 rpm=61.4mph burning 10gph= 6+mpg, using 28 hydromotive o/t with 1.62 gears. Thanks for the intrest. Ricky

JOEALLY

Thanks Guys,
I will get some pics. in the water next time out. The foil I'm using is the Sport se 300. I had one on my other set-up that worked great. You do not need wedges with this foil. The design has more area farther aft than other foils that really help the boat take off flat. I've owned this boat for over 11yrs.with the 225 on it, so I'm trying to match handling of what I'm use to. I'm really looking foward to the cruise mpg that this rig will produce. I do know from the smart craft gage, during break-in running 2X oil and jack down and trim netural, 4000 rpm=61.4mph burning 10gph= 6+mpg, using 28 hydromotive o/t with 1.62 gears. Thanks for the intrest. Ricky
I'm interested in this, I've thought about doing it a lot. My 225X is a sweet little motor, but after owning several optis, I keep thinking about it in the back of my mind. Who knows, I may do it one day also.

njj502

I dig it! Nice rigging and I like the old push pull steering. That's a great idea on using the manual then going hydro. I've thought of a 300xs for my GS but it's a big investment and a lot of weight for a GS! I'd pay for the swap in probably two seasons in the fuel/oil savings. Please keep us posted on progress. I see you running a taller prop than that 28........

I honestly think what I'll do is find a complete 200xs powerhead for my rig and go from there. Still run low 90's and get crazy MPG.

JOEALLY

I dig it! Nice rigging and I like the old push pull steering. That's a great idea on using the manual then going hydro. I've thought of a 300xs for my GS but it's a big investment and a lot of weight for a GS! I'd pay for the swap in probably two seasons in the fuel/oil savings. Please keep us posted on progress. I see you running a taller prop than that 28........

I honestly think what I'll do is find a complete 200xs powerhead for my rig and go from there. Still run low 90's and get crazy MPG.
I know we are in different boats, but I've owned 2 different 200xs motors on XB2003s, both were low 80s fishing rigs - might have hit 90 real empty. I never ran them empty.

njj502

Local guy here has a 99 XB03 that's never been rigged to fish & he consistantly runs low 90's. I'd sure think a GS with a 200xs should run low 90's easily. I know a 200 on a 02 is an easy 90 mph ride.

JOEALLY

Local guy here has a 99 XB03 that's never been rigged to fish & he consistantly runs low 90's. I'd sure think a GS with a 200xs should run low 90's easily. I know a 200 on a 02 is an easy 90 mph ride.
I believe that, I ran 87 one time low on fuel. Adding weight affects the 2.5s for sure.

xb03fs

Which 03 runs low 90s with the 200xs. I know rocks 02 does it easily