SHO moves alot

hooken203

Last week at the Allison rally Darris told me he wouldn't drive my boat at high speeds for any amount of money due to the way my engine moves around. So solid engine mounts are my next project. The other problem I see is about a half an inch movement at the tiller arm bolt. I saw this when I first rigged the boat and replaced the bolt nut and washers with new parts. At first it was tight but before long was back to being loose. Is there a special tiller arm kit for the 6345 cylinder pivot arm? Or maybe I have it assembled wrong. Here are the ones I removed.

Attachments

dragmerc

the big nut at the steering tube is a problem. they get loose all the time. the yamaha factory rep says they should be tightened every service. good luck with your main thrust bearing.

hooken203

Yep I know about the big nut on the steering tube. Not the problem. Thrust main also not a problem. Fixed already.

hooken203

The loose engine problems are not fixed. Stiill would like to know if there is a different pivot arm washer set for the 6345 cylinder. I have heard a couple different stories about this. One of them being a solid metal unit with no nylon washers.

Last edited:

Allyfishing

Kevin, give teleflex customer service a call and ask them to send you the kit for the 6345 cylinder. Yes, it is different than the standard cylinder. the slop is coming from the plastic busing being too small on the standard kit due to a larger hole in the cylinder yolk. Ask me how I know!!

hooken203

I was hoping you would respond. I thought I read that in an older post by you but wasn't sure. It makes since when you look at the parts but I could find nothing anywhere about it. Thanks

Allyfishing

That plastic bushing in your photo is just lightly larger for our cylinder. It doesn't seem like much when you are assembling it but the wrong size (smaller one) makes for a lot of slop in that area of the steering.

And be sure to assemble it correctly according to the directions. It is very important.

hooken203

I finally got the right parts for my steering. Made a big difference in the way the boat drives. At least now when the boat starts to drop on one side steering correction with bring it back. Thanks Allyfishing for you help.

ROBERT CROSS

Kevin, give teleflex customer service a call and ask them to send you the kit for the 6345 cylinder. Yes, it is different than the standard cylinder. the slop is coming from the plastic busing being too small on the standard kit due to a larger hole in the cylinder yolk. Ask me how I know!!
Yep....Think I had the same problem with our T-Flex, took a couple calls to get it rite.

Bob
:cool:

hooken203

Looks to me like I still don't have all the right parts. What they sent me was the black part and two large black washers.

ROBERT CROSS

Looks to me like I still don't have all the right parts. What they sent me was the black part and two large black washers.
Check your build date....

Seastar told me mine was a one year only deal. They sent me the correct kit NC after Boat Steering Rebuilders couldn't find the correct parts.

The correct P/N's for mine are.... 828011, BEARING, PLAIN SHAFT, UNHOU
890969, WASHER, PLASTIC.

Searstar Canada 604-270-6899

Blacks rong...white was rite. :beer:

Bob

Last edited: