Shook_ BACK HOME

Mike2002

Dream set up estimation??

John,

With the 2002XB comp-pro, modified 2.5 cranking 330+ HP and a modified Titus gearcase or even smaller dia gearcase....What do you think is possible? 125mph? How about 130mph?

GPI or anyone else want to comment?

How about it Jerry Ridnour?

I think there is a bigger number out there just don't know how big.

Mike2002

J

John Richied

I have no experience with the modified Titus Sportmaster but if it is even half of what they say, I would think that and the additional horsepower you would see 125 plus and 130 if ya had the gonads hehehe :lol:

GotMyAlly

Anybody see the article in B&WB this month about the Titus sportmaster mods? I'll let a few of you guys try one out first, but if it is all it is cracked up to be I'll definitely be sending him my case. $600 is pricey for a nose job, but if it delivers on the promises I'll be saving my pennies.

J

John Richied

I’ll tell ya what, if I picked up four miles per hour for $600 I would consider that very cheap.

How many things can you do to your boat for $600 and pick up four miles on the topend?

GotMyAlly

I agree.......IF it improves handling and adds 4 mph (or better yet, 5-9 as claimed), I'll toss my gearcase in the back of the truck and personally drive it down there. $600 is cheap if it really adds 4 or more mph. On the other hand, $600 is a lot of dough if it doesn't perform as advertised. I just want to hear it from some of the allison owners board regulars before I step up to the plate. Not saying I don't believe what I've read, but I just tend to be a little skeptical.

J

John Richied

I agree with you 100%!!! I believe there is a speed increase for sure. Randy backs it up and he is one of the most knowledgeable and fastest on the water I know of…

My only concern is after running this modified Sportmaster gearcase over some time is it safe… as in does the epoxy, welding and skeg have a tendency to fail or let go in the triple digits?

I love gambling and playin Texas Hold’em, but I don’t want to gamble with a modified gearcase until I have seen it out and running for a year or longer with NO ill affects that could cost you your life.

With that being said, I do run a modified Sportmaster with a welded on torque tab and I know that’s taboo.

GPI Racing

Some light on the gearcase stuff and going 130mph in an Allison.

The gearcase that Titus and I have developed was done because I was having a hard time keeping a 200 or torquemaster case together for any length of time. The skeg would eventually crack below the torpedo and we figured this was for two reasons. First, the skeg was thin and adding the tab behind it made the skeg "lever arm". Second, the torpedo thickness is pretty thin and causes the skeg to "roll"adding to the problem. The torpedo and skeg on a sportmaster is thicker by quite a bit. So we proceded to come up with the sportmaster mod. It is NOT quicker than a 200/coned case done up in the SAME manner. It is equal. That was the trick, to get it to equal the 200 case. Compared to a stock sportmaster it is anywhere from 4-10mph faster,( depending on the boat etc.) but so was my 200 case. What we have is a case that is super strong but yet yields the best performance. That is the whole story and the "why" we did it in the first place.

As far as running big speeds in a XB2002, I owned a bass racer for 4 years with some serious power on it. I have given rides , yes rides, at speeds aproaching 120. ( it had a sport console and side by side steering) The ultimate problem with it is the airflow over the deck. At speeds above 120 it would take exponential power to run, lets say, 130mph. More power than is avalible. The XR2002 that I ran 130 with was actually pretty easy to drive and run at those speeds. Much better airflow and the boat would take a nice "set". The point or problem here is the airflow causes the boat to pop it's tail(XB) and you then have to use the motor to hold the nose up. This takes power. The faster you go the worse it gets. Now we could cover the deck but that's defeating the purpose of the "bass" boat I would think. Having my old bass racer over 120 many times I can tell you that it takes some distance to do it with stock power. My set up was not for top speed but just the way I drove the thing around. I had enough power to get it to those speeds. This is the same motor that ran the XR to 130 in a standing start 1/2 mile and the River Rocket to 140 in the same distance. Could a XB2002 run 130? with enough power to overcome the handling issues, yes. How much power? 400 plus is my guess.

Hope this is of some interest and I didn't bore you guys with my long posts.

Randy

jay j

sportmaster mods

randy i have a sportmaster that was modded by tuckers landing in 1997
the port water inlet was filled, skeg was cut and a tab welded and the "horseshoe" between the top of the tab and bottom of the gearcase housing was also welded to eliminate the stress. the nose of the gearcase was rounded to say the shape of a marble. this made the boat drive incredibly better and almost 4mph faster or should say safer. it is on a grandsport and has not reached over the mid ninities. are these mods similar to what you have done? also does the 200 case create more lift
than a modded sportmaster? i ask this because the back of the sporty is real thick(assume for offshore pounding) and the 200 or TM case is slender. does this have an effect say above 100mph? keep the post coming, i enjoy the technical info as i am sure everybody else does. aslo forgot to add that the bottom of the blowout ring say abouut 2" was ground
down even with housing. these mods came from darris and wasn't he involved in the developement of that case with mercury?

GPI Racing

Jay J.

I was around when Darris was working with the Merc guys on the sportmaster case. Let's just say what the proto looked like and what Darris wanted went out the window by the time the Merc engineers got a hold of it. It was a sad day. The mods you have done definitely help as your speeds indicate. As far as our modded sportmaster compared to the 200 case/coned, for some reason we have slightly MORE bow lift. The case is very straight and about 1" longer than a 200/coned case. 19 3/4 inches total torpedo length. In every instance so far we have gained lift. Maybe because the gearcase is straighter and therefor has more lever arm?. If I could say anything that would happen to your boat with one of our cases on it would be easier to drive. Much like the improvement you have with the modded case over stock but again. This would ALLOW you to get to some speeds you are not at now just because it drives nicer. You may be able to run props not so Bow-lifty and use more avalible power to "push" the boat. I find that the boat doesn't do the " I want to lay on the driver's side" so much.

Randy

Mike2002

GPI

Randy,

Thanks for your comments about the XB2002 speeds. Its very interesting for me as I would love hear all the info. anybody has to share about these type of topics.

Could you give me more details about the airflow and in your opinion what would be needed to improve it?

Also you had a wide console, is it better than a small center console? I would not think it would be but wanted to hear your opinion. And, was that a side steer? If so how would the setup change for a center seater?

Thanks,

Mike2002

ziemer

? for Randy...

Have you had much experience with the Grand Sports?

From what I've seen it seems that 105 +/- is the max for these boats, and most with 260's or 280's are running anywhere from 98-102ish. I'm somewhere between 102-103 and that's with a stock Sportmaster, 1/8" below the pad with the std. 9" Allison plate.

Suprisingly mine seems to drive real nice, at least to me, when balanced (i.e. coolor in the back left comparment). The only time I had any real handling problems was with a modded SM case. The skeg was cut more like a 200 skeg and it was about an 1" shorter than stock. I think the length is what gave me the problems, i.e. sharp left turn at about 75, and two busted mounting bolts.

Just wondering if you had any input...

Sorry to get off topic, way to go with the new record Shook! :D

GPI Racing

My very first Allison was a Gran Sport. I have since set up over a dozen and a half of them. Your set up and speed are very much where you should be. It seems very hard to get one to run over 105. If you like your present gearcase you'd love our case. Compare it to getting radial tires for the first time. The skeg mod you have helps the sporty but when the case is straight (like the modded one)the whole package become less dependent on the skeg and there is less chance of doing the "hook".

Mike,

The sport console was tested by myself and Gordy Johnson. It was faster even when used with center steer. Tends to blow the air over the cockpit area, which is the problem of the XB. The rigging is biased to the passenger side on my side steer BR and the driver seat mounted as close to center as the passenger seat would allow. Nancy used to give me crap about ordering the sport console for all the guys up here. She said it was the only place in the US that they ever sent any.

Randy

ziemer

Quick clarification...

Thanks for the input.

The case I'm currently running is a stock SM.

The "Allison modded" SM case I had, I tried and hated it.

My buddy slash "mechanic" has told me since day one to throw my SM in the lake but so far it's treated me fairly well. He's not a big fan of Sporty's on Allisons.

Maybe next winter, I'll have to send it up to Titus and then maybe my buddy will leave me alone.

GPI Racing

Ziemer,

the cut skeg must have been done wrong as they usually handle better if done correctly. I guess if it is stock then you'd really see a nice handling diff. As for the cut skeg deal I've seen a ton of them done wrong so don't feel bad. It's more of an art than textbook.

Randy

merc326

whats up Randy, you are right on about the skeg work, a buddy of mine tried to do his himself and it was very ill handleing afterwards. but if done right will make that rig drive so much better.

I need to call you again Randy to ask you a couple a questions about my xb2002. I will try you around lunch. later bud.

Phillip

D

DarthVMAX

Very VERY interesting and great info! Thank you very much GPI for spending your time here and sharing your experience and knowledge.

Stuff like this is what makes these boards so cool. 8)

Thanks again

J

John Richied

Wow this is a great read… A lot of information for sure.

So when I set up for top speed it sounds like I should extend the rear cover so it encloses the drivers seat for better aerodynamics?

GPI Racing

John, that is correct. I had a boat in the late '80's that we did this to. The only thing that stuck out was my head. Made a frame out of pontoon boat railing. Pretty lightweight. The frame kept the fabric from pushing down as that is what it wanted to do.

On a different note. Scott Gilmore is picking up the yellow bass racer from me today. Due to finances ( he's got some house deals going) we put a 225 promax on the thing. It's an SS and I figured it'd run 95ish the way it was set up. You know 6750 limiter and all. I put a 31" spinelli DR on it as that was the biggest prop I had laying around. Shocked as hell I was when it turned over 100 on the first pull. Great acceleration and it just kept going. The lake here lets you run about 3/8 of a mile before you need to abort. It has a modified sporty on it but a proto that I played with last season not the latest version. The old XB2002 is probably my favorite Allison. I just never had that small of power on it before. Pretty sweet ride.

Randy

FlatOutAlly

Who is this GPI Racing guy? Why would he, or anyone else for that matter, want to modify a gearcase? Why would anyone want to try things to improve their setup? What a moronic thread. :lol: