softer shifting hub

resqu-u

Sounds interesting. I know you've heard and will likely hear again but jumping the neutral safety so you can start in gear is an easy mod that take the clunking shift totally out. I have mine jumped and can start in neutral/shift or in gear. Once you are used to it you'll never go back. All that get anywhere near my key know about it and when the motor is not intended to be started the key is in the cup holder.

GotMyAlly

Never seen that hub before. It looks like it only positively engages about half the lenth of the square bore in the prop. That's probably enough.....I dunno. But is the clunk from the hub really a problem? I've only noticed it on mine when I was missing rubber strips on the hub, and once with a prop i bought used that had an unusually large bore and both of my hubs had a lot of play in that one.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is supposed to be solid stainless, maybe better than the old fat shaft hub. I have heard of a couple of the old ones breaking.

Product Description
“The Next Generation” of Flo-Torq

Mercury® introduces their newest Flo-Torq hub system.

-The Flo-Torq SSR HD is the quietest and smoothest shifting propeller hub system on the market for high horse-powered outboards

-The Flo-Torq SSR HD delivers 10-19% shift clunk improvement vs. solid hub designs.

-The Flo-Torq SSR HD is an ultra durable solid stainless steel design featuring a bonded rubber drive sleeve. The bonded rubber sleeve allows the propeller to rotate around the solid hub absorbing shift clunk and vibration.

-The Flo-Torq SSR HD has the same geometry of the Mercury’s Flo-Torq II hub system and can be used with all current Mercury propellers.

When using JoyStick Piloting and/or shifting into gear, the Flo-Torq SSR HD rotates port and starboard eliminating shift clunk and vibration, resulting in quiet and smooth shifting.

Once under load, the hub will engage the propeller inner hub, resulting in a solid hub with the ability to transfer the power of 350-400 horsepower Mercury and Mercury Racing’s Verado engines

The most advanced modular hub design ever created

-The Flo-Torq SSR HD is NOT a rubber hub

-The Flo-Torq SSR HD is a modular hub design like all other Mercury Flo-Torq II systems, resulting in it being field serviceable.

Boat Type: All High Horsepower applications

-Center Console, Bass Multi-species, Bay/Flats, Deck, Tri/Pontoon, RIB, Sport

Engine Fitment: Engines with 1.25″ prop shaft

-Verado Six Cylinder 300hp and 350hp

-Verado 400R

-Pro XS 225hp and 250hp

ROBERT CROSS

Yep....'bout the only time I need F-N-R is when I "hit" the dock, been using the Q4 24p as our everyday, nice thing is, it's just about thunkless,
with the 28p I've been known to reverse on the starter to slow down. :rolleyes::confused:

whipper

All the same as above. i find if I shift super fast there is no clunk. only when i move the selector slow it clunks. I rarely start in gear but some times I do. Got the dock turn and glide down pack pretty good. I generally drift in and go N way ahead and slow enough to just grab the dock. not every time but most conditions. The most is generally a quick little rev if that. Pull or push real fast is the key ive been told and always do that.