Spinelli DR4

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked up a 27 late last year, ran it once solo and it felt pretty good, but it was rough out so I didn't get to run it out much. Ran it one more time with 2 up front and didn't like it at all. I plan on giving it another shot this spring to see what it does. I'm curious to hear from others their thoughts too.

Jay Martin

I'm looking at one, just curious before I make the move on it.

I'm not concerned about carrying a load with it. If I have others with me like in the summer I bolt on the 27 Hydro o/t..

ally2dextreme

They can run well,i have a 29 and a 31 that work great,i have a 28 that needs a lil tunning

Lotus 50

A 30 DR4 was the first big prop I ran on my SS2000. It was OK, but I went just as fast and accelerated better with a 28 small ear chopper. Based on a sample size of two, I think 30 is too much in a 4 blade for my limited HP.

The DR4 was pretty easy to drive though. Maybe with more HP it would have been better.

robert

I owned one once but never ran it. I sold it to someone on this board, I can't remember who.

GotMyAlly

I'm pretty sure that's what Andy Humphrey had on his XB03 the first time I drove it. That thing was wicked.....as in un-driveable. Like a buckin' bronc. Every time I passed 80MPH, it would pick the boat up by the left side and slam it down on the right. Not out of balance, just violent. Put my hydromotive on his boat to show him how it was supposed to handle, and next pass was 90+ w/ one hand on the wheel.

Jay Martin

I decided to buy the Spinelli, Ran it today for the first time. This Spinelli DR4 had been tunned for an Allison by the previous owner. Holeshot was fantastic, so was midrange, as the boat got faster it's almost like this prop sprouted legs and continued to pull strong.

Bad cross wind kept me from a full top end test, 83 ish was all I could handle.

It handled great.

Last edited:

catfish123

I have run countless props on my XB2003 with 225X and 280..........and overall the Hydromotive Quad IV OT is simply the best.

Jay Martin

I have run countless props on my XB2003 with 225X and 280..........and overall the Hydromotive Quad IV OT is simply the best.
I agree, I have a 27 and 28 o/t Hydro. Not knocking any other Brand prop, all I'm saying is for an over hub this is the best I've ran, for an all around prop the O/T still comes in first place...:beer:....

RedAllison

X10! You might can find a few props that run 1-2 mph faster than the OT when the boat is empty and on the ragged edge but if you have any measureable load (or more than 1 butt in the seats) then usually those props will drop off CONSIDERABLY where as the OT continues to shine. They make a 225 powered XB03 an HONEST 90-91mph 2 man tournament boat!!!

And they drive like a Cadillac, wives and kids can safely drive much faster with the OT than any other wheel. :at the bar

ps
Yes Spinelli retired about 10yrs ago. Denver Wilson was about the only one I knew that really loved the Spinelli on his old XB03/225... of course now he even has an Hmotive tatooed on his arm!!! Hmmmm

Last edited:

Jay Martin

X10! You might can find a few props that run 1-2 mph faster than the OT when the boat is empty and on the ragged edge but if you have any measureable load (or more than 1 butt in the seats) then usually those props will drop off CONSIDERABLY where as the OT continues to shine. They make a 225 powered XB03 an HONEST 90-91mph 2 man tournament boat!!!

And they drive like a Cadillac, wives and kids can safely drive much faster with the OT than any other wheel. :at the bar

ps
Yes Spinelli retired about 10yrs ago. Denver Wilson was about the only one I knew that really loved the Spinelli on his old XB03/225... of course now he even has an Hmotive tatooed on his arm!!! Hmmmm
Your 100% correct about the load carrying, I ran last Friday afternoon with a load (two of us) and the Spinelli did not like it, it's a good solo prop, thats about it.
Of course the Drag props are not designed for a loaded boat anyay.

suicidealli

Your 100% correct about the load carrying, I ran last Friday afternoon with a load (two of us) and the Spinelli did not like it, it's a good solo prop, thats about it.
Of course the Drag props are not designed for a loaded boat anyay.
I agree I have different props for different boating.
Every man needs at least 4 props anyway...lol
1 one for a quick drag prop
2 one for top end solo
3 one for cruising with the kids/woman that carrys the bow, and smooth ride
4 one for fishing with a partner that carrys a load, and runs awesome numbers

I can't see having any less than 4. There are some props oit there that run good all around, but that isn't good enough for me..
If I had to choose 1 prop I would choose a drag 4.

Last edited:

Jay Martin

I agree I have different props for different boating.
Every man needs at least 4 props anyway...lol
1 one for a quick drag prop
2 one for top end solo
3 one for cruising with the kids/woman that carrys the bow, and smooth ride
4 one for fishing with a partner that carrys a load, and runs awesome numbers

I can't see having any less than 4. There are some props oit there that run good all around, but that isn't good enough for me..
If I had to choose 1 prop I would choose a drag 4.
You are a true Performance boater...:big grin:big grin...