Sporty Allison ???

suicidealli

Has anyone ran a sporty on an Allison with the blow out ring grinded off.
I have one coming, and not sure if I should add a blow out ring, or weld a bead around it, and machine it back, or run with out one.
Any help appreciated.

Roy

h2oskiier30

My lower unit is a Titus coned sporty that had the blowout ring ground off. Never had any issues with it wanting to blow out.

GotMyAlly

Gotta have that blow out ring, IMO mother merc wouldn't put one there if it wasn't needed
Merc didn't build the blowout ring specifically for one hull either. I think there's a lot of ways to improve the sportmasters, and some of those changes are probably very hull-specific.

patches

Leave it off Roy. Go around at the races and see how many fast Allisons still have the blowout ring

suicidealli

Thanks for the input guys. I'm running all 200 cases now and they have a added blow out ring, but it only has a very tiny transition lip. It works awesome, but it is extended 1".
All the sporty's I have ran had the lip. All the xr6 cases Had a extention on but no lip.
I guess I will be trying it like it is. I will let you guys know.

Roy

Luketrician

They put a voltage regulator on 16 amp charging systems.

Voltage regulator, to protect ECU from voltage spikes.

Blowout ring, to protect from blowout.

No need to try and discredit my OP, it has merit and was made in good faith.

:at the bar

h2oskiier30

I wasn't trying to "discredit" you, Luke...just saying that Mercury doesn't always make the "right" move.

I don't know of anyone who runs a voltage regulator on a 16 amp charging system...they're just not needed. I doubt many ecu's have ever been fried due to a voltage spike from a 16 amp charging system.

patches

My XR6 case has no extension and no lip. Some people just grind it off from 6 o'clock to 3 o'clock if you're standing behind it looking at it.

Luketrician

I wasn't trying to "discredit" you, Luke...just saying that Mercury doesn't always make the "right" move.

I don't know of anyone who runs a voltage regulator on a 16 amp charging system...they're just not needed. I doubt many ecu's have ever been fried due to a voltage spike from a 16 amp charging system.

Well talking about voltage, those regulators are also there to ensure proper voltage. I would say as a preventative measure if nothing else.

However, it is all good discussion if ya ask me, lots of different view points, and I'm certainly not saying my views are any better than yours.

Cheers,

Luke

whipper

anyone have a picture of a blowout ring?
I don't even know what it is.
My case is XR4 for what it's worth

Its the little lip or ring around the very back of the bullet of your gearcase. I dont have one on my 200 case {ground it off} and yours will be small if any by now on your XR. Yours might be very slight when ya run your fingers over it. Some, like on the SM are very a pernounced lip.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
I told a racer once that he was full of it for running a lip. He immediately gave me a pronounced lip. Everything else said, I had one too.

LakeAnna

When Robbie did my sportmaster on my last GS the lip was gone at least all but from 9 to 2 or something like that if I remember. I looked at the JC torquemaster that is on this 225X and it has it. Of course this boat isn't fast enough to worry about it unless I find another powerhead this winter...:big grin

allison8503

From my experience blow out rings don't prevent one from blowing out. I had a gear case that would blow out at the same MPH all the time. Put the blow out ring back on it and it still blew out. Put the extender on and it still blew out. Reworked the skeg and torque tab and boat set up and it quit blowing out. The first thing I do to all my cases is take a grinder to them! Lol

suicidealli

I have pics on my phone of a stock sporty lip, and my 200 case with a added blow out ring, if somebody wanted to see it. My camera died. Someone asked.
Text me I can send them back 513-207-2131

Roy

suicidealli

I have pics on my phone of a stock sporty lip, and my 200 case with a added blow out ring, if somebody wanted to see it. My camera died. Someone asked.
Text me I can send them back 513-207-2131

Roy