SS VS STV EURO

pengilly

Have any of you owned both or had any experiences with these boats? What would be the differences in these models. I have had Hydrostreams and a Rapidcraft Hurricane 18' but nothing of these boats caliber. I live on a lake, skiing, tubing, just plain flying around. I would like to attend some boat parties next summer, time for a new ride!!
Jeff

Ps 260 - 280 - 300 drag motors considered

froggy

Swan lake is too small for either of the boats, get a Lund!

Seriously, you are at the Allison board, what answer would you expect? SS or Grandsport would be nice. Of course the STV does have training wheels!

froggy

pengilly

An honest one :lol:

A lund......I already have the best one ever made...a 16' with a 40 tiller!!!

I see owners bouncing back and forth, Im looking for thoughts on how they actually compare. One person told me the SS is more of a drag boat , not as practical. i dont know if I buy that. I really like the SS and thats why im looking for feedback here.
Thanks Jeff

Who is Froggy anyway :?:

fishnfireman

Can't help you on the first question.... Im just into fishing boats..

But the second :?:

Froggy is an ol man what lives in Okla. that likes to jump :wink: :wink:

Has a ton of knowledge. :idea: . but it takes a little prying and pulling to get it sometimes :arrow: :lol:

froggy

Pengilly,

Been to Swan many, many times-sometimes even all summer. Probably changed over the years though. I grew up on the range and the family had a place on Sand Lake. My best friend's family had/has a place on Swan.

You might want to look at the Grandsport versus the SS, for fast cruisin'.

Randy Pierson (the GPI "powdercoating" guy) lives on a small lake at Avon and has had both STV's and Allisons---he might provide some insight on the pros and cons. My, personal, opinion is that a "V" bottom will be more useful for everyday consumption (Sand can get rough and the STV would not like it).

Yep, I'm old as a fossil, but still fly jets and like well built, well engineered (?), fast boats. Allison is up at the top of the list.

froggy

pengilly

You guys are great!!
i really enjoy the feedback, keep it coming. Froggy you made a great point of the V bottom, Swan rolls pretty hard, as hard as I think anybody would boat in. I had the Rapidcraft out Sat and it was fun, lots of air :shock:
Ps I live in the old Aries place on west shore drive, lot #1

Jeff

propmanjay

SS

I run a comp pro SS with a 260 SS and love it. I run it in smooth or rough and always shines. I run a 26" Yammy 8800 104.9 bone stock. I just have always been a V bottom guy. With very little practice these are fairly easy to drive. Good luck wiyh your decision.

Jay

pengilly

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it.
Jeff

Ps Im just a little concerned of the spin out syndrom. After you learn, do you avoid it completely or does it happen every now and again.

froggy

Pengilly,

I just don't know where the spin out stuff got started! Back in my last Ally life (1985-1989) we were running some serious speeds. We even locked up a gearcase at 122mph, and never spun out. I could pull the kill switch, on my XTB-21, at flank speed, and not spin out. I think that, properly set up, the spin out stuff should be minimal---maybe a zara spook move, but not a spin out.

Just respect your equipment and set it up so there is little or no torque at flank speed and go for it!

My friend's place is the old Doc Adams place on Swan.

froggy

GFinch

Forkin' Crazy said:
Zara spook move... LMAO!!! Guess you would have to fish one to catch that!!! :lol:
He's working it to fast. If he'd slow down, you can make them do at least a 180 or more.

deadeye99

I've been running my xb 2003 for 10 years. I have never spun out. The bow can catch if you chop the throttle quickly and I'm sure in some cases could cause "the turn". I have to say it never crossed my mind for the first 6 or 8 years untill I came here and read about it. Bob

GotMyAlly

Mine has done it once - second or third time I had it out and it was due to inexperience. I think bat turns come from one of two things....lack of seat time or a bad setup. Chopping the throttle, overtrimming, running the j/p too high for the water conditions, etc can all cause a bat turn but are all very avoidable.

badbait

Pgilly,

You say your interested in the following.
skiing, tubing, just plain flying around. I would like to attend some boat parties next summer, time for a new ride!!
Jeff

I have owned two Allisons a SS and a 2003 bass boat. I also own a River Rocket. The SS and the STV River Rocket are not going to be user friendly for skiing and tubeing and general family use in my opinion. No place to haul ski's, wake board, or a tube. Also very hard to get in and out of those boats from the water. As far as just plain flying around they are great for that. Again in my opinion if your thinking about an Allison I agree with the above advice about getting a Grand Sport. Another one that works pretty well for family use is the 2003 bassboat. Lot's of deck space for the kids if you stop on the water. plenty of storage. Not a bad tow rig either.