SS VS STV EURO

pengilly

Thank you badbait,
Ive looked at a few bass boats with that in mind, how about the Euro? Any experience with it???

Jeff

ps where did Froggy go?

badbait

Pgilly,

I have no experience with the Euro, but where are you going to put the wake board, and skies. They have a short nose just like the river rocket and you can't slide much up there. These boats are a trade off you can't get it all in one package. If you get exactly what you want the family may not be to happy sitting on the bank watching you go by WOT.

Darth VMAX

If you like the tunnels check out the 21 LIBERATOR. Seats 5 and it appears to have decent storage up front. As far as Allisons go I would say the XS2003 GSE or XB21 ProSPort SUB would be a good choice 8)

pengilly

Well,
We live on a lake so I dont really have to haul much, even now we take off on the tubes from home. i guess as long as there is a place to hitch up the ropes that would be a start :lol: i could alway keep my RapidCraft for skiing and tubing, but that would be a pain too.

john4utvols

Pengilly, SS are one of the sharpess boats out there, and I loved mine, but the wife was not that thrilled about it, and I never used mine for anything but driving fast and looking good. Now for the stv I bought it is a 91 pro comp, but not as good looking as the euro but a stv, my wife really likes the ride and the kids seem to like it better, Now the problem is can you take the training wheel comments, me I can because my bestfriend owns a 2002 and I can just jump in it and run 104 with a 225, then show them the gps and that usually shuts them up.

ziemer

pengilly said:
How fast will a Grandsport run with a 260?
Setup properly, 105. :wink:

(My 260 is stock internally, with a spacer plate & 150 lbs of compression)

pengilly

ziemer,
A couple questions:
Is 150 lbs Pump gas still?

Have you used the boat for Tubing/ skiing, If so, would you consider it a good all around boat with emphasis (spell) On lake running (speed).
Thank you
Jeff

ziemer

I haven't used it for tubing or skiing, but it's a great all-around lake boat. It's got plenty of storage and room for 4 adults (easily). We had it out 2 weekends ago with 4 adults and our 3 year old and it still ran damn near 90 on my short lake. That was with 2 coolers, a bunch of towels and crap and 1/2 tank of fuel.

I'm sure it would be a great ski boat with a small prop and a ski pole. I don't have the retractable pole so I've never tried it.

150 psi is still pump gas. (wouldn't want to go any higher though. :wink: )

FFWD

Let me say first that I love Allisons. I've had a 2003XB and a 2003 Grandsport and currently have anXr2002 and Xr2001. For a lake boat that you mainly want to use for tubing and skiing and occasional full speed blasts, the Grandsport will be hard to beat, It has tons of storage, comes on plane quick and will give you a smooth dry ride in rough water. You also sit way down in the boat so your passengers feel more secure. I also just set up a new STV Euro with a 280 that was stock except the rev limiter was moved up. This boat ran 112 GPS without even trying hard and with a less than perfect prop. It was easy to drive at this speed which could be bad because if you don't have alot of experience it can give you a false sense of security and that is usually when they bite you. The bad points to the STV are that it is harder to board from the water, doesn't ride as good untill you get some air under the boat(55mph), and it throws water up between the sponsons at slow speeds which will get you wet while you are trying to tube or ski.
My advice would be that if you want a great family boat that will also go fast, by all means get a Grandsport. If you want a boat that is easy to go fast in, buy a STV.

pengilly

Well put!!
Thank you for your feedback. Are all the grandsports the same as far as bottoms, year to year? Is there a better year? The Elite is the optioned model I believe.
Thank you
Jeff

ziemer

I believe 91 was the first year they built the GS and I'm pretty sure, other than the interior patterns they are exactly the same up to the 06's today.

The Elite model comes with more option standard, i.e. sundeck cushions, plexi windshield, 30 gal. tank, ski pole, etc.

pengilly

Got it
Ill let you guys know if I find the right deal. You have all given me alot of great feedback and now Ill be looking at Grandsports as well

Thank You
Jeff

msethsmile

Funny Guy
a vs s

Pengilly-
Our Swan Lake (New Um / Nicollette) in MN is 10,000+ acres and 18 inches deep. Only MN would have multiple 'swans'.

Had 2 gs's, a ss, and 2 stv's.--stv's will spray off the forks and in bad water stick a fork. Faster top end though (with big power). You can ski with a ss, I put a removable pylon on mine. Skiis will fit under back hatch or under bow. GS is the best, kinda pricey. Currently have a xb2003 (GS bottom more or less). Put a pylon on it also. Some people just don't like the look of a fishing boat. Skiis fit in rod locker. Definately an all purpose boat, mid 90's with a 225, 100+ with a 260/280. The ss and gs don't have ski lockers. Best looking?--ss, Acceleration--ss, WOT--stv, People--gs, Ski--gs-xb, Rough water--gs-xb

Lotus 50

I have an SS2000 that is used for skiing, tubing, and flying around. I never did put a pylon on it, although perhaps I should have. I got used to it the way it is.

We ski a lot but without any particular skill. A slalom skiier will move the boat around quite a bit, but I'm not a good enough skiier to care. I prefer that to getting wet driving an STV. We ski a lot of cold mornings, and its no fun getting wet before I have to. If you need the boat to track dead straight while you slalom, the STV might be a better choice.

We ski from a dock, so boarding is not a concern. When I choose to, I can climb in and out from the water easily, but I'm skinny, so I'm not dragging much weight out of the water.

I think the SS2000 is probably better suited for loading with people and flying around. Most tunnels don't handle weight as well as V bottoms. And there is no porpoise zone to deal with.

If I really wanted to go 100 mph or more I would trade the SS for an STV. It's easier and arguably safer to go over 100 in an STV.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
pole

Lotus 50--
The pole helps in that 1. The skier is pulled up and forward (easier to get up). 2. It keeps the rope off the motor (less scratches) 3. The rope is off the water (slack in turns get caught otherwise). 4. It looks really, really stupid on a ss.

I used a swivel-eze tri-pole for about $200. The bridge/bulkhead behind the seat and also the two spots on either side of the motor were beefed up with extra glass. Unfortunately, skiing off the dock down here is illegal. The Allison step helps with boarding but is not the final answer. Mounting a one rung fold out ladder to the step would be the deal.

one-fast-one

"I think the SS2000 is probably better suited for loading with people and flying around. Most tunnels don't handle weight as well as V bottoms. And there is no porpoise zone to deal with. "

Are you sure? A properly set up tunnel will not porpoise. Dont forget a Euro has a pad.

Lotus 50

I think most tunnels have a porpoise zone. I was in a Rapidcraft tunnel last year that ran great with one or two, and it porpoised badly with 3 of us.