SS VS STV EURO

Skydog

((SS2000 is probably better suited for loading with people and flying around))

Na Grandsport all day over the SS.`

Lotus 50

The Grandsport is a lot roomier than the SS2000. For that matter, so is the Euro. I'd take either V bottom if I wanted to chauffeur a boat load of people over the STV.

Forkin' Crazy

one-fast-one said:
So Lotus have you ever ridden in a STV?
Yep, one of the finest ones I have ever seen... with a 280 on it. Like riding in a 100 mph lazy boy. :shock:

I like a little exitement in my life!!! :grin:

A Euro needs to be compared to a GS IMO. SS compared to the river racer, etc.

JR

I think the most fun non-racing [XR1], non-fishing hull [XB'02-'03] that Allison makes is the Grandsport. The SS was fun to drive but was too noisy due to the wind for a day cruiser. The cockpit was like being back in a Cessna 152 also.

My wife and I [in the Grandsport] can sit side by side [instead of tandem like most] and with the [optional] windshield we can carry on a conversation. I am able to carry 42 gallons of fuel without having gas cans in the passenger area and get between 5-6 MPG all the way up to 95 MPG gps. I can cruise all day at 80 MPH without melting a piston or worse.
I was taking the fairly sharp turns [Saturday] in the Suwannee at 80+ and the pad was slipping sideways like a well setup stock car. I did hit a bass boat [bigger than normal] wave in one turn [because I refused to slow down] and knocked it off the pad which made my wife sort of "antsy" being close to shore when it started rocking/bouncing.

I have a built in removable cooler for lunches and soft drinks and can pull a skiier with the built in pylon.

I won't win any races but my boat/setup lets me have "fast fun" and handles most waves fairly well.

One of the biggest problems with the Grandsport is the large amount of upholstery getting suntan lotion on it and staining...
Just my opinion..
JR

Skydog

YEA

I loved my GS!! If i ever went back i would be in a GS. But after running a 25' Cat with twin 280s i can never go back now.

Skydog

Lotus 50

I've never even seen a Grandsport, but I would probably be better off with a GS than my SS. More room, and a better family/ski boat.

The Euro has a lot more room in it than the SS, so maybe the SS/Euro comparison isn't valid.

Yes, I've ridden in STVs, and gotten soaked doing it. You can probably trim an STV so you don't get a mist for skiing. But its better for me not to have to explain trim to everyone who drives me for skiinig. My soaking experience was in big waves. We were going slowly, trying not to hurt the boat, or ourselves and hoping to stay dry. I don't think you can run an STV in stupid rough water and stay dry. I would stay dry in similar waves in my SS, but go no faster. I'm pretty sure you could do a low speed stuff in the SS.

I haven't ridden 4 up in an STV. But like any tunnel it has a porpoise zone. 3 up in a Rapidcraft and we coudn't get the boat to stop porpoising. I do like how my SS handles 4 people. In general V bottoms carry weight better than mod tunnels. Maybe with enough torque and HP, and the right tunnel, the weight doesn't matter.

whipper

GSE

Jeff I have a 2000 Grand Sport Elite and can say that it is the perfict family UTRA high performance Boat bar none!!! I as you are looked around and checked out my options. Ive always had a Boat but after 3 years of reserch I found what I was looking for in a GSE. She real fast even with a 225 Pro Max. That was my only regret now, should have gotten a bigger mota ya get used to the speeds and then thats all ya got! A 250 would give ya all the power ya realy need. Mine does 92 or so with just me and a 30pitch with hole shot mid and topend. How fast ya go with the family on board any way? I dont take my kids past 80. My 11 year old son can drive my GS 70mph :grin: We ski ,tube,snorkle,cruise,and even fish out of or GSE. I got a new stand alone ski bar that can pull a 4 man tube and not flex its higher than the stock bar so there is no isue with the cowl. Il try to post a bigger pic here than my avitar. The stock mount is plent strong we were on a 40 day holiday and skiied and tubed every day all day awsome. I went out one day and was the only one out there and realized that the 6 footers was the reason and I had 3 kids and 3 adults on board. i was trying to just get to a cove for some snorkaling but had to beach her till the winds calmed down! But we only got wet once witch was my wifes end of comfort zone! :mrgreen: I did go out in it by my self after I dropped every one off at the beach to tackle the surf bud after a while I figured I was betten the boat so stopped but it was nice to know that she could handle it in a pinch. With a 25 trophy you can rip the arms of a skier and at 31 mph she has a wicked slolam wake. I can fit a deflated 2 man sitdown conoley duely delux tube, 6 life jackets,3 sets of 2 skis,A med size cooler full of food and drink for 6 for the day,A change of clothes for every one but me because im not a wimp when the sun goes down,two large bumpers ropes ect,ancher and rope, Battery booster,full safety equiptment, A couple of rods, 5 maskes and sets of flippers, tackle box,tube rope ,ski rope,quick pump for tube, and nothing on the floor. 3 kids 9,10,11, 2 ladys and me with out a problem we will go out from 10 in th morrning to 10 at night. So there are always a couple of kids or adults tubing leaves 4 in the boat and she handles it all no problem! Try that in a STV. I used my 28 drag with thoughs loads mostly and she would get right on plain and go.Nice thing about that one is when every one was at the boaters beach I could still get good numbers for racing every other boat that THOUGHT they were fast out by my self with out a prop change. James

whipper

GSE

They sure make a nice family go fast in the 20 ft range. I think it would be hard to beat heck the kids sleep in the bow I can even fit under there! I thought about a xb2003 and think that is a good choise also because of the better fish abilaty. Though I have some good pics of me trolling for lake trout in my gs and it fishes good,just like any other regular boat.Ill post thoughs under fishing this week when I get the film developed at Cosco on CD. I made a duel rod holder at work that bolts onto the old ski bar its even retractable but most of th time I stand on the aft hatch and fly cast. My son turnes the spotters seat facing backward to watch the rods :mrgreen: James

Lotus 50

I was too harsh above on STVs. STVs ride really well on chop, and they are very stable. My first choice if I wanted to go over 100 would be an STV. But this is the Allison owners website.

JR

STVs and Mirages can be extremely stable at high speeds and not near as exciting as a V when you decelerate. There was an STV or Mirage making 130 MPH GPS runs Saturday at the Suwannee with my Nephew who was making 115 MPH with two people.
That being said, they are not good in rolling rough water or as a family cruiser, just as a gofast. I have seen though, one of Jack Barsh's boats skimming the rollers in Lake George at close to 100 looking like Jermey McGraff on the whoops section [his passenger looked terrified].
JR

Forkin' Crazy

JR said:
I have seen though, one of Jack Barsh's boats skimming the rollers in Lake George at close to 100 looking like Jermey McGraff on the whoops section [his passenger looked terrified].
JR
That's because the passenger seat is at least 20 mph faster! :grin:

LAAllison

Hey JR I went to Cedar Key Sept 17,18,&19. Kept thinking we'd run over and up the Suwannee but The Gulf was so nice we stayed out on the out Islands, Only problem is there's no fuel on the dock at Cedar Key---but plenty of good eating. I'll have to let you know next time we go over.
Curious about your setup you're about 4-5 mph faster than I am. My GS is a 95 w/97 SM225 never touched except to remove the oil injection a couple of years ago. Runs 85 w/26Trophy and 89-90 w/28 chopper. Any thoughts?

Art

Roll Tide

Jimxb02

It is possible to pick up 1 or 2 MPH by rebalancing the load or playing with the jackplate height. But with a 28" pitch prop and a stock limiter (6750 RPM) you are close to what the boat can run with that motor and prop. I would try a 30" chopper, you will have less acceleration but the potential to run 95 - 96 MPH. Also, remember in the Florida/ Alabama region during the hot humid time of year you have less horsepower to push your boat, ie. less speed !!!

Jim

JR

Art,
Jim is exactly right, a 30" ChopperII with no mods, will give you fairly good hole shot, incredible gas mileage and about 95GPS on top end.

You are right about Cedar Key, there is some great food, but no gas.
There are 2 marinas though, at the north shore in the mouth of the Suwannee in the Town of Suwannee.

We took a short vacation at Cedar Key just a couple of months ago and my Wife and I rented a 3 bedroom 2 bath right on the water [on the "Back Bayou"].

It was great [by ourselves] since we ususlly have friends and our adult kids with us. The way to see Cedar Key/out Islands is by PWC due to the shallow water/shoals. Susan and I took my Honda North to the Suwannee and went all the way to Fanning Springs during one of our days at Cedar Key.

The Suwannee is still the greatest ride there is though, but the only gas is at the mouth or at the Santa Fe juction, close to Ichatucknee. Just watch out for the 500# sturgeon jumping!

We just got back from another vacation where we rented a new 3 bedroom 3 bath with an all terrain golf cart that was right on the bank to the Suwannee. the place was really nice with our own floating aluminum dock/boat ramp.
http://www.thecottagesofsuwanneepreserve.com/
JR