Stainless or steel 1/2 or 9/16

hooken203

What bolts are you using to mount your jackplate/engine? Have read posts about going to 9/16 bolts and a few about using grade 8 or 9 bolts. I have been using 1/2 fine thread SS and brass nyloc nuts forever and have never seen a problem.

catfish123

Subscribed................I do not believe SS hardware is recommended for this application, but I'll wait for someone to post who knows the answer for sure...........LOL

Myron

9/16 bolts thru the transom, grade 8 fine thread double bolted at the tops for the jackplate to setback and for jackplate to motor

racerx

Now call Allison for two bolts 60 bucks...I couldn't fine one anywhere when I needed them..

racerx

9/16 fine thread is a my mom to find probally 6 inches long..

catfish123

This type of bolt, Grade 8 was what I thought was recommended, not SS?

Bobalouie

I don't know if grade 8 is the best choice due to its poor performance when subjected to cyclic loads in shear. Grade 8 is great when it is loaded in tension, but a bolt holding a motor on a transom or jackplate is shear loading. A good SS bolt is about the same as a grade 5, which, in my opinion is a better choice due to being less brittle and therefore less prone to catastophic failure when subjected to cyclic shear loading.

A good example of this is RAs trailer tounge bolt. If I remember correctly, he replaced it with grade 8 hoping it would solve the problem, but it didnt. Its a classic example of a very strong but brittle fastener being used in an application where it is subjected to cyclic shear loads.

hooken203

Bobalouie thats what my thoughts were on this also. I have seen other situations where a harder bolt was not the better way to go.

ziemer

I think I paid Allison $100 for the set of bolts for my GS (9/16" top, 1/2" bottom). Since all mine are behind the gas tank they have flat tabs welded on. I guess welding tabs on those fancy bolts is expensive... :banghead :beer:

fasterbass

On stainless bolts use antisieze, the silver looking kind.my can is unreadable or I would give you the brand..it smears and makes a mess and you can't hardly get it off of yourself but I have never gallded a lugnut or jackplate bolt and I use stainless bolts and nuts and stainless flat washers