Stuck Injector Fries ECU?

Jr in Jax

Just my observation: An injector is just an electromagnetic solenoid [an inductive device]. When power is applied, the current draw in "inrush" is momentarily 3-4 times the holding current. The coil is an almost dead short initially until the armature of the injector moves into the coil's field [open position]. If a solenoid is stuck closed or if the coil is energized without the armature in place it will overload and smoke. When we remove solenoid coils that could get energized, we stick a screwdriver or nutdriver into the center of the coil to keep it from smoking/shorting out. This does not mean the ECU injector output driver was not designed to handle continuous inrush current but a stuck closed or shorted coil would be tough on it. Usually output drivers and the circuit board tracks that feed it are protected from shorts by an upstream overcurrent device [Fuse] or an inline thermistor that heats up and drops the voltage across it to protect the circuit.
Clear as mud????

Freebird

Yep, clear as mud. All that matters to me at this point is that they're sending my money back along with that ECU. I lost about $110 on that deal in terms of shipping it back and forth, but I have another ECU coming next week. Hopefully we can figure out what's going on with this thing since I know another ECU isn't going to cure it. With any luck, I'll have it out on the river next weekend.