Surprise

Yellowallison

Darin??

In way this is ole news because as yu see some of us knew that Allison did have some Grandport problems back yrs ago!! and I've heard Gilmore tell about his situation.

But just gots to ask....... why you joined in 2005 have made 4-5 post since and just now deciding make DROP the BOMB POST about it.. ???
:?: :?:

ziemer

Re: GS fatalities

JR said:
They installed a heavy aluminum plate on the outside of the transom.
Is that the recall fix? Doesn't really seem like that would solve the problem if the bolts are pulling the transom out from the inside?

Is the GS the only model that does not have access to the top bolts from the outside? Is the SS that way too? I know on the XB2002's there is a small splash well and the bolts are exposed. Just wondering why this would only be an issue with the GS.

Darin, sorry for you loss.

JR

Scott,
I am glad Darin brought it up, since there could be more hulls out there that never received the recall [like his]. If it happened to mine and caused a fatality, I would certainly share it.

Jeff, does your boat have the exterior plate? How about Lou's and everybody else's?

The plate could be inside also, I have never had my tank out to look at the transom interior. Lou has had his tank out so he can inform us. Wayne in Lake City did my recall, but did not tell me any thing about it.

Just an exterior plate would help a little, since the withdrawal force on the bolts would be more equalized, rather than a tilt load.

derock

Banned
yellowallison,
What do you mean DROP THE BOMB?
Old news to some new news to me.
My first post but I watch the board alot.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Lou has had his tank out so he can inform us.
Wisht I would have @#$%^ known about this when I had the tank out!! :evil:

I cannot remember what was on the inside behind the tank...but I don't recall seeing any kind of metal plate!! You know JR, it's another "over 50" thing. :wink:

NOW what to do???????

Darin, my condolences for your loss!

catfish123

If Darin's post in any way prevents an injury or worse, a death, it certainly was a worthwhile post. Thank you for posting this information.

ziemer

My jackplate lays flat against the transom on the gel, and there is no plate on the inside of the top bolts either. Only thing that has been changed on mine is that I now have 9/16" top bolts. I replaced all four of mine, and they all had the tab welded on the head which receives a screw into the transom to prevent the bolt from turning.

JR, if you get a chance maybe you could post of pic. of what your transom looks like with the fix?

Yellowallison

Yes the topic is great topic!!! and is very informal !!! Glad it was brought up!! We all know its a Sad deal someone got hurt!

But with a TITLE of ((SURPRISE)) along with not much detail other than some transon bolts pulled thru and someone died from someone thats posted 4 times in yr..

Just was borderline on smellin like nuthin but slander post against Allison in the begining!!!!

And JR it can't be too big of issue with yur GRANDSPORT @ 1300hrs of running, hundreds of 70 mph bat turns and jumping waves in the surf along side yur Jetski's...

Yall act like I'm the only one questioning the post!! ----- jus like the GPI deal!! ---- if people posted on the board 1/3 of what they say in emails and PM and phone calls!! --- Kev would need a server the size of a DEEP FREEZE!

:wink:

whipper

bolts

I half to agree with Yeller I thought the same at first. Whats with the capital surprise anyway. My dad had a boat that lost its engine in the chuck, know one was hurt but that was a bolt problem aswell. He had the motor off and used to low of grade bolts and never took care of the boat it sat at our warf roting most of the time. What I mean is there are a million reasons how or why this could happen thats way it says in the manual to check everything. Abuse? who knows for sure but all as I can say is that is is a reminder that at 70+ bad things happen if somthing is not right that is a given. Im sure Allison Boats knows that if there was a problem they would fix it and it sounds like they have.I have a friend that spent 6 months in the hospital lost an eye and is brain damaged from an improperly set up STV from the factory. So to go over to the STV site and post SURPRISE and tell that story would raise a few eyebrows im sure after 5 years of guys running there boats not aware of the problem my friend Bill had. Buy the way thats why i bought an Allison and not a tunnel.Look at Firestone the list goes on. James

jimmyb

for those requiring proof, here it is:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/safety/boatstats05.htm

Darin was nice enough to sell me some allison boat decals last fall. In his emails he told me about the accident. I do commend him for having the guts to come on the board and explain his story... i can only imagine how difficult it must be. Hopefully we can all learn from this accident...

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I talked to Nancy and Bill at Allison today. According to the factory, this was not a "recall" per se but an "upgrade" to which they ran all GS serial numbers and attempted to contact the owners and send them the "upgrade kit", which consists of:

1) A 1/4" thick stainless bar that is meant to go inside the hull against the transom

2) 2x 9/16" diameter upper bolts and nuts for same

3) A black anodized aluminum plate that is meant to go outside the hull in between the hull and the jackplate, especially IF there is any evidence of the jackplate rocking downward and trying to bust through the gel.

I asked Bill, what about the outside plate adding more setback? Evidently it's not that thick at all; maybe 1/8". So I wonder how much it actually would help the problem over and above the regular beefy material of your average jackplate.

During the conversation I posed the question, "What makes the GS transom different from any other Allison transom?" Answer, apparently NOTHING!! Bill responded that any older models that have "the heavy engines" on them would benefit from this upgrade kit, and he affirmed that this applied especially to XB-2003's with 3 liter motors hung on them.

The point was made that just because an owner received an upgrade kit, it was no guarantee that it was ever actually installed. I have to go look at my Grandsport and measure the diameter of the top two transom mounting bolts. If they are 9/16" then it is likely that the modification was performed. If they are still 1/2", the mod wasn't done.

This is going to involve hoisting the engine and drilling out the holes to 9/16", if it hasn't been done.

Maybe the original bolts would hold forever; maybe not. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so it looks like another project is ahed if this mod hasn't been done by the previous owner.

whipper

2fast

wow this is the first time its been like talken to some one hear its like dum de dum go back later. There is probably a serial # from this to that Id emagine.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I tried to call them all day, maybe this post has their phone lines lit up. Got a busy signal until early this afternoon.

Light 'em up some more if you want, 865-983-5920. We need some more information on this, like serial numbers as you suggest.

However one thing they DID say was that even the new XB-2003's that people are hanging heavy motors on could use this kit!!

JR

I know that it at least went back to May of '98 when my hull was built.

Like Scott said, my boat would be the "Poster Child" for a hull failue if the kit did not work, especially with 14.5 inches of setback levering on the transom.

I will have to remove my flotation cover off of the setback plates to see if Wayne installed the 9/16" top bolts when he put the outside plate on. I am sure you would have to pull the tank out which also means the trim pump, water seperator etc...

I do kind of remember the setback plate bolts having to be retightened periodicly before the "upgrade/recall" was done and they have remained rock solid since.

I am fixing to test mine again with a long weekend on the Suwannee [we have all rented a new waterfront house there].

JR

XSive

Hey Guys,

I have a copy of the Bulletin here. I don't have a scanner so I'll type it out and post it.

I type with two fingers. So be patient.

By the way it had two plates as Lou described, but did not upgrade the upper bolts. So don't panic if you have 1/2" ones still. It's no big deal any fairly easy to check/do.

Myron

It is easy to tell if you have the 9/16 bolts as they are fine thread. Also you should use fine thread bolts on all your jack plate and engine bolts. I use grade 8 but I do not go in salt water. Maybe there should be more info for the people who have not been around hi-perf boats much.

XSive

HJere are the instructions as I have them. My index fingers are sore

REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS

Subject: GrandSport Transom Studs

RE: SERVICE BULLETIN #80198

1. With the engine hoisted, remove the nuts from the transom studs and pull the engine with jackplate back, away from, the boat. It will not be necessary to disconnect the steering controls at this time.

2. It is very important at this time to inspect for damage to the fiberglass around the top studs. If the steel sleeve around the top stud has punched through the fiberglass, or appears to be loose, and has wallowed out the hole in the fiberglass without the stud, proceed to disconnect and remove the engine from the boat. Bring the boat and jackplate to the Allison plant for internal repairs to the sleeve. If no damage is apparent, you may proceed to complete the repair and do so without disconnecting the engine.

3. It will be necessary to disconnect the fuel tank and slide it forward to access the top transom studs under the splash pan of the transom.

4. Remove the top transom studs from the inside of the transom by first removing the small screws that hold the studs from turning. Install the stainless washer plate (provided) and then replace the studs. (Lack of clearance will prevent you from pre-assembling the studs to the washer plate). To keep the stud from turning on the inside, align the stud so machine screw can be threaded into the tapped hole in the washer plate. Attach the washer plate to the transom with the 2 self-tapping screws. Drill 11/64

S

Scott Gilmore

Yellowallison said:
Yes the topic is great topic!!! and is very informal !!! Glad it was brought up!! We all know its a Sad deal someone got hurt!

But with a TITLE of ((SURPRISE)) along with not much detail other than some transon bolts pulled thru and someone died from someone thats posted 4 times in yr..

Just was borderline on smellin like nuthin but slander post against Allison in the begining!!!!

And JR it can't be too big of issue with yur GRANDSPORT @ 1300hrs of running, hundreds of 70 mph bat turns and jumping waves in the surf along side yur Jetski's...

Yall act like I'm the only one questioning the post!! ----- jus like the GPI deal!! ---- if people posted on the board 1/3 of what they say in emails and PM and phone calls!! --- Kev would need a server the size of a DEEP FREEZE!

:wink:
SLANDER ?? Yellow Allison/Sott V., you might want to take a long, hard, serious look @ some of the posts you've been layin down on this forum for the past few months WOOOOOOOOOWWWW talk about SLANDER !!! You're the KING !!! Scott :shock: