Surprise

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Thanks Xsive for typing all that out. From the bulletin number, it looks like it was August of 1998 when it was issued. You would think that boats subsequently manufactured would have this upgrade built in at the factory.

I just measured my upper studs, they are 1/2". I am going to try to get a look behind the gas tank before pulling the whole thing apart.

Do I take the boat out again for what is left of the short summer or decomission it right now? I guess it's time to fire up the bassboat.

No one has still given any explanation for why this is only a problem in the Grandsport, or if it extends to other models as well. Seems peculiar that they would use a different transom construction in just one model.

XSive

Lou,

Do you have the plate installed under your jack-plate?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Nope! :evil:

I had thought the Allison transoms were near "bullet-proof" before this post....certainly they have been part of the whole Allison legacy...

This is another argument for ALWAYS wearing a PFD. According to the accident report, the victims were wearing none.

whipper

stress

The transoms of Allisons have never had a failure acording to the web site. So there must be somthing someone is not telling us.Like had the jack plate off and put it on wrong or something. Or hit a log once but thought it would be ok then oops the motor fell off? Lets cut the crap, its a dam shame that people got killed but its also not right to freak people out with unsubstantiated claims. For f... sakes if my motor just fell off and a friend of mine was killed I would sue the ass off the manufacure big time. Allison says there transoms are strong enough to hold 3 times the sugested horspower and guys are raceing them every day with over 300hp. what the hell is up with that. The sticker says 150 but Allison says it ok to use more,the Coast Guard has no problem because the boats are over 20 feet so how the hell do you get a ticket for a over horspowerd craft if it doesnt fall in the guidlines, and 96 out of a 200 is also hard to believe so cut the crap and tell me why you are really here! James

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
AMEN Whipper, we need all the facts here!! The LAST thing I want to do is rip my boat apart but I will do it if I need to!!

And yeah somebody needs to update that "no transom failure" thing if this is all true and there were no other circumstances!!

GFinch

2fast4mom said:
AMEN Whipper, we need all the facts here!! The LAST thing I want to do is rip my boat apart but I will do it if I need to!!

And yeah somebody needs to update that "no transom failure" thing if this is all true and there were no other circumstances!!
Jeezz, :wink: it's like your fuel pump was making weird noises or something! :shock:

Or the sky was falling! Calm down! It's better to find out now then later with your loved ones in the boat.

Just picking on you Lou, as usual. This might become a new hobby!!!! :D :D :D :D Jeezz, now I really have to get a real life!

Look with a mirror. Shove a camera back there and click a pic. Now that your 50 maybe your doctor will lend you THAT camera, you know the one!

JR

Guys,
Scott Gilmore is someone we have known for many years, unlike Darin. Scott says his bolts pulled thru the transom with no hard treatment and now Darin verifies this can happen. There must have been a manufacturing/design issue. The sticker just made the DNR move the liability to the boat owner.
JR

Mr. Scary

Believe me, we sold Scott Gilmore's Grand Sport to him and when he called me and told me his top two bolts had pulled through, I told him "no way." I thought it could never happen. He brought the boat to us and he was absolutely right - they had.

Allison didn't believe it either - it had never happened before. But to be on the safe side, they issued the update and have gone with the 9/16" top bolts and transom plate ever since on every boat.

I can't remember what the difference is between the Grandsport and the other boats why it only affected the Grandsport, but I thought there was something different.

Yellowallison

SLANDER ?? Yellow Allison/Sott V., you might want to take a long, hard, serious look @ some of the posts you've been layin down on this forum for the past few months WOOOOOOOOOWWWW talk about SLANDER !!! You're the KING !!! Scott
GILMORE!!! I'll go ahead and type this now -- but I know YU wont read it till NOON-2PM when YU wake up from yur handover!!

What you need to do is SOBER up long enuff to realize that your HERO has done some folks totally WRONG and it aint SLANDER when it all FACTS !!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ALSO GILMORE -- when YU SOBER UP how about sending KEV some $$$ for this site so he don't have to spend his BEER muney watch yu defend yur HERO !!

ALLISONMAN

EVERYONE needs to calm down and not panic!!!!! this is something that if you perform your regular checks you should notice something not right!!! i would be sure that the bolts would need to be tighten regularly and not just pull through no warning!!!! if you have had to tighten your bolts regularly then you will probably need to look futher as to why!!!! It is the same as trim lines breaking, skegs breaking off, steering bolts breaking, steering arms breaking, and all the other reason why one of our boats are not the safest but neither is any other boat!!! This is why you should deal with a good dealer for parts, service, oil etc. and a dealer that is interested in keeping you safe 1st!!!!! i reckon this is a good time to say something that i have wanted to say for a while!!!!! guys you need to support your local dealers cause if you dont they are not gonna be there when you need them!!!! Internet sales are nice but what if you have a problem, or pieces are missing, or you cant install the damn thing!!!! These are times when your local dealer can be of real importance!!! yes you might spend a few extra bucks but maybe that dealer might notice a bolt loose, a skeg cracked, or just anything wrong with your boat!!! now it is no surprise to anyone here who i deal with and he looks after safety 1st and formost!!! i have seen allison's come with 2 bolts holding a motor on, bent steering cables on brand new boats and other unsafe rigged boats from BIG NAME DEALERS!!!!! this is why some of them are not dealers anymore but allison boats cant monitor everyone!!! everyone needs to give this a thought!!!! I push boats to their limit and i accept the fact that chit can happen!!!!!! i wouldnt blame a boat manufactor, motor manufactor, part manufactor if something went wrong andhurt me!!! unless it was total neglagence on thier part!!! i in no way think allison boats would ever put someone at risk knowing something aint right!!!! This is the reasoning behind some of darris's thinkings, designs, decals, and so forth!!!! so everyone calm down and check your boats over regularly!!!!! i check my skeg, prop blades, jackplate, and other stuff everytime i come in and most of the time before i go out!!! we check the race boat over extensively before and after each race!!!!!!!

jimmyb

good post allisonman... i was afraid a lynch mob was forming.

statistically, i believe our drive to work is more dangerous than our boat rides (not to minimize boating accidents)

another point to glean from this accident is that the official cause of death was drowning and no lifejacket was worn. I have been guilty of running with out a lifejacket hundreds of times and letting my passengers not wear them, even if we are "cruising" at 60-70 mph. From now on, i will definately make a consious effort of making sure everyone in my boat is wearing a jacket. Your boat could be in perfect working order and you might only be cruising at 30 mph, but that jet ski can pop out of nowhere!

fishnfireman

You guys are exactly right :!: :!:

You better pay close attention to all your equipment.
Even more so- for those of us who DON"T have a dealer within a days drive ,to look after us, even if he would :!: :!:

Yellowallison

RANGERMAN...Bring it to FLOIRDA and we'll go fishing down the ST JOHN's River and make sure everythign is workin & runnin OK! :mrgreen:

GOOD POST JESSICA ...cause I knwo ALLY MAN didn't type all that or think up that much GOOD info! :mrgreen:

K

Kevin from FL

First off, there was no transom failure. It was a stud/plate failure! It appears that Allison got a few faulty stud/plate assemblies from a vendor and not knowing what GS boat had them in them, they did the correct thing by issuing a service bulletin to correct the problem. Like Lou said, Allison ran all GS serial numbers and attempted to contact the owners and send them an "upgrade kit". Tracking down second and third party owners would be a daunting task for any manufacturer, so let's not hammer Allison for being negligent about this issue. This is only the second stud/plate failure that I've heard of in 9 years.

Second, if you have a 97 or older GrandSport, make sure service bulletin #80198 has been done to eliminate a possible stud/plate failure. If it hasn't been done, contact Allison for further guidance since it's been 9 years since the bulletin came out.

Third, like ALLISONMAN said, check your equipment often.

Forth, Scott and Scott, knock if off.

Yellowallison

Forth, Scott and Scott, knock if off.
alright KEV i'll ignore GILMORE... :mrgreen:

but I still thinks he needs to send ya sum beer $$ :p :p

Also. GOOD POST KEV - well said!

GotMyAlly

I agree with A-Man on all points 'cept SUPPORTING THE LOCAL DEALER. Some of us don't have a dealer closer than 6 hours away. I'd rather deal with a good dealer over the phone/net than a bad dealer that is right down the street.

ALLISONMAN

yeah i meant a GOOD local dealer!!! i dont have a good dealer around so i drive 4 hours to deal with one!!! i mainly mean just the internet dealers that dont have a shop and only perform internet sales!!! :D

whipper

stud

Thankyou Kevin from FL for clearing that up. And Alisonman I wish My dealer was as trustworthy as some. I would be afraid to run my boat if I wasnt there watching them. The parts dept never herd of a 225 promax and when I needed a prop nut for it they gave me a nut with a cotterpin. I said whats the cotterpin for and they said you need it or youll loose your prop. Well I said i dont need no cotterpin for my boat I feel the blood rush to my head I clench my fist and I snap,I looose it, and say goodby.