Tales of the Unexpected

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Yesterday was routine impeller/water pump service day on the XB2002 Steckbauer gear case. Shouldn't have been a big deal.

Was too depressed to write about this last night.

When the pump was removed, just fooling around I turned the driveshaft by hand--as usual, I lock it into forward gear before dropping the lower unit.

The lower unit is all messed up. Turning the driveshaft results in a rough, uneven feel and a growling noise from the gears. I messed with it some more; if you lift the driveshaft upwards the roughness/growl pretty much goes away. There's also a lot of side-play in the driveshaft. :help

I figure I've lost a shim in the case that adjusts the gear lash.

This case has about 20 hours on it since it was built.

I drained the oil immediately and it looked like you could pan for gold in the bottom of the can, little tiny flecks of gold-colored dust. The oil was still green but pretty dark. The magnetic drain plug also had a few flecks of iron on it, but not real bad. I should have taken a pic of it before I wiped it off.:cuss

Also found some hairline cracks in the epoxy on the low pressure side (isn't this where it always happens) of the skeg. Forced some marine epoxy into the tiny cracks and sanded the whole case, fixed a few more tiny imperfections with epoxy putty and gonna primer it black today. I realize I'm just delaying the inevitable about the hairline cracks, but they were in the early stages of going south so I figure I'll just keep an eye on it...AFTER it gets the gear problems fixed.

I called Dave Steckbauer and left a message, and spent the rest of the day building a shipping carton.

Looks like my case will be down for the WAR. I have a modded 200 case that also needs some work (leaking rear main seal and huge chunk of epoxy missing) that I'm going to try to beat into submission in order to be able to take the 2002 to the WAR on May 13th.

On the positive side, if I was getting 111mph with the case in THAT condition, maybe I'll pick up some more when it gets back to being smooth as silk!

XSive

Lou.

I doubt there is anything wrong with the internals. I driveshaft goes up and the bearing seats into the race due to the helical cut when the motor is running. The roughness and play with it sitting there and going away when you lift up is normal. No worries there. So put yer shipping crate in the corner for now.

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well thats some good news!! Thanks. I just don't recall any of my sport masters or any others doing this...

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

I would talk to Dave but I agree. They feel like crap with the water pump housing removed. Backlash is set, I believe , with the driveshaft pulled up so the driveshaft bearing seats in the race.

suicidealli

I agree with the slop, but all the metal flakes doesn't sound good. I had a set of gears go last year. Mercury said they thought they were over, or under hardened. Forward gear went, the pinion was perfect.. I would pull it apart anyway. JMO

Roy

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I had a looooong talk on the phone with the Man, David Steckbauer today and it was a rude awakening.:gasp

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Mr. Steckbauer has had his share of problems...a leg infection that required amputation below the knee. He is getting older (as are we all) and we traded war stories of the healthcare system.

Two statements of mine produced groans on his part.

Me: "The unit only has 20 hours on it, so I am just now changing the oil for the first time.." David: "Oh..No, no...You're lucky it hasn't blown up. You should be changing the oil in that unit every 2-3 hours. Some folks drain and replace after each use. 20 hours is WAY too long."

David: "What kind of power are you running?" Me: "300 Drag." David: "Oh, No...no..that's got so much torque, you're lucky that unit isn't on the bottom of the lake. All the more reason to change your oil every time out. Oil is cheap compared to gears." Me: "Nobody told me about the maintenance interval. In the sportmaster, the recommendation is every 15 hours, I believe." David: "That's because the sportmaster is so much larger, it holds a lot more oil. Your unit is very small so the oil volume is less, gets hotter, and requires draining much more frequently."

David: "My units are designed primarily for drag racing; short intervals of top speed, not running wide open around the lake all day. You CAN run around around the lake all day, just not at WOT."

Me: "My unit makes terrible sounds and turns rough at the driveshaft. Is it true the shaft lifts when under operation, because the noise and roughness goes away then?" David: "No, the driveshaft goes DOWN when under operation....Oh, wait...I've got that backwards...I'm thinking of the offshore units. You are correct; the shaft goes upwards during operation and is shimmed to provide correct gear lash at that position."

Me: "What about the excessive side-play of the driveshaft?" David: "The only way to tell is to remove the baseplate for the water pump (lower plastic piece with O-ring), lift up on the driveshaft and the play should disappear if the bearing is OK." Me: "How much sideplay should there be then?" David: "None."

Me: "I've got some very tiny, hairline cracks in the bottom of the epoxy on the low-pressure side of the case. I could only see them under bright sunlight with the unit upside down. I mixed some thin waterproof 2-part epoxy and mashed it into the cracks and sanded, know it's only delaying the inevitable but I'm not about to grind out the whole thing and start over at this point." David: "RUN it."

So, once again it confirmed that :idiot and I have yet to test the sideplay of the shaft, having been preoccupied with fixing minor skeg scratches and refinishing the unit in primer.

I'll get to testing the driveshaft bearing later today or over the weekend.

The title of this thread should now be changed to "Oh....No...No....":banghead

All I have to say is...:cuss