There is a Storm on the Horizon...

Darth VMAX

OK guys. One thing that has seemed to be set pretty firm is Allison holding the official title as the Worlds Fastest Bassboat. The XB2002 is after all these years an almost magical design that stands the test of time.
Most here know about the Kevlar/Carbon Stroker with the Hydro-Tec 300 VMAX HPDI PIII that has already ran 118.7 mph. I have no doubts with more tinkering with the set-up Kurt and company will get more speed out of it. This was done with the Stock rev limiter at 6150 rpm's. Hydro-tec is about to release an ECU that will allow them to spin up to 6800! Not sure if the HP curve matches it up to 6800 or not but theoretically this set-up could crank out some HUGE top-end #'s.

Myron

I have read about the numbers, very impressive for sure, just hope everyone is safe, that is getting into no-mans land as far as speed goes. I have in the teens before in an SS2000 and trust me that is moving.

Mr. Scary

Keep in mind that running 118.7 on GPS is WAY different than AVERAGING 118.7 over a kilometer in both directions. You have to be able to run over 120+ in order to average those numbers. That's a long way to be stretching it out....not that it can't be done certainly, but the World Record is not measuring peak speed - it's measuring average speed in two directions over a 1 kilometer electronically timed distance.

Darth VMAX

Oh yes Sam, you are right. I do know that and I understand its a B@#$ to get an average as high as Shook did. But if these guys are running 34-35" wheels to the 6150 limiter and they get 650 more RPM's to play with who knows what those things will be capable of!

ALLISONMAN

There is still aero disavavntages that will hold them back and also it is a wonder no one has been hurt badly or killed in one of those big boats running that fast!!!!!!!! Those big boats are like a huge kite and if the wrong wind, water, or problem there is gonna be a bad reation!!!!

TBuck2003

Impressive to say the least,you tip your cap for sure cause those are great numbers.I wish all involved safe trips back to the ramp...

TBuck

froggy

One more thing about the timed Kilo---you usually only have about a kilo to get to speed before you trip the start timer. With those huge size props, on a huge boat, it is doubtful the boat would be to speed before tripping the start timer!

Been there, done that and my hat's off to SHOOK, he's the Kahuna until further notice.

froggy

Darth VMAX

Yes, a 2.5L 300 Drag Merc.

Stroker is 21' Long, 94" beam standard weight is 1200 lbs. Not sure if they released the actual weight of the Carbon/Kevlar boat is but I thought I read sub 1000 lbs.
Not what i would call a huge boat by todays standards but they can definitly run huge power on them. The only thing I am saying is this is the 1st time something has come along to take notice of...

I don't know how long it takes to spool up one of those props with 370-385 hp (that was at 6150). Who knows, with the added RPM's Hydro-tec might be making 400+ hp out of the HPDI's???

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I am pretty sure one of those boats has already gone over at the fastbass rally last year. In there defense if I remember reading it correctly the conditions for running were not optimum. But Darth is right. They really have those boats running. You have to tip your hats to them. They have spent alot of time setting up and running those boats.

Last edited:

h2oskiier30

What would be considered "extremely efficient" for a boat/motor/prop combination, as far as prop slip % goes?

IN THEORY:

A 36 pitch prop on a 1.62 gearcase at 6150 rpms would have to achieve 8.25% slip to run 118.7 mph.

A 35 pitch prop would have to achieve 5.7% slip to run 118.7 mph.

A 34 pitch prop would have to achieve 2.9% slip to run 118.7 mph.

I ask, because I don't know.

Darth VMAX

From what I have been told. Props get inherintly less effecient the higher the pitch. Not always but in general. Also, when you are dealing with worked props pitches are not always what they started out to be.

suicidealli

just because they raise the limiter, doesn't mean the boat is going to run more mph.
not saying it wont, but if it was out of hp at 6150, and couldn't pull anymore....
my limiter is 10500, but have only went 9000 with my 260.... they might have to drop some pitch to spin more rpm's, and might loose some mph... they also could bust the 120 mark or more... just saying raising the limiter doesn't always make the mph go up...

if you want to break speed records you better have a prop guy on your side.....JMO
my hat is off to them though. not many bass boats or any other boat in this size range can run 118....

roy

Derrick Smith

Probationary User
Do they all come with those big ole crazy looking consoles? Looks like a big sea shell sitting on top of the boat.

aaronmt

I talked a few weeks ago to hyrdotec.They told me at the time they had several people working at breaking the ecu code.They were definately on the limiter and had a hard time getting enuff prop.Im guessing with that much hp and touque they will get at least a few more mph for sure.I just hope not to read about it in a bad way.Thats a awfully wide boat to carry that high and and that speed.Hope its done without nobody being hurt.Aaron

AllisonboatsMS

Isnt that like some special built super boat running those numbers? Can anyone go to the dealer and buy a boat just like it? I dont know much about stroker boats (except thats i have passed a few running 300's at bass tournaments) butanyone can buy an Allison right off the showroom floor that will run just like anyother anyone else has pretty much .

Hydropromax

I figure if somebody would strap a 400 horse motor on a new Allison 21 footer they could crack 110 and maybe even faster. I haven't heard of anybody putting up any numbers with a new 21 footer and a 300X or mod Yamaha!!!!!!!!

Fishforcash

I think most of the buyers of the XB21 are more fishermen than go balz out top end. Thats why they havent ran big numbers like the Stroker boyz do. Almost all the Strokers sold in the past few years are all go fast guys who fish but top end play is more important to them. I dont know if Kurt's boat has had a troller on it lately.

118 is HUGE and I commend them but I also worry about their safety. Lake/River runnin' means no safety crews, diver, EMTs on hand to take care of trauma injuries and if you get dumped over tripple digits your going to have some trauma.

Its gonna happen but the question is "How Bad".