THIS is a freak smallie...

RedAllison

I've heard about this fish since it was caught back in Feb/87 on Pickwick. It was 9#5oz. :cuss I'd rather catch a GIANT brownie like that than a 20# largemouth!!!

WHATTA PIG!!!

Attachments

Fishforcash

All I can say is WOW. If I put that in the boat, my fishing life would be complete.

champ198

Red, you keep postin' pitchures like that and you're gonna get all riled up and foamin' at the mouth before you get up to Dale!!:LMAO:

RedAllison

Red, you keep postin' pitchures like that and you're gonna get all riled up and foamin' at the mouth before you get up to Dale!!:LMAO:
LOL Duane I've always been smitten with the lil brown bassturds anyway, this Dale Hollow trip is going to be like a junkie mainlining smack!!!

I simply CAN'T wait to get up there, I can't believe it's taken me this long to decide to get up there. I'm gonna pester the chit out of the smallies here on KY Lake and Pickwick all winter, :gone fishing

:at the bar
RA

RedAllison

What is it suddenly about the yankee waters producing 5-6+ pound smallies? They've always had plenty of sheer numbers in MI, WI, MN, Canada and the Great Lakes but 20 years ago if you would've told anyone you were catching 30# sacks of browns in the Niagra River or the Great Lakes they would've locked you up in a rubber room. If you wanted a 5+ you had to come to TN.

Is it better mgmt? Is it improvements in water quality and cleaning up the waters up there that has taken this long to see the results of?

I seriously doubt that northern smallies will ever grow into 11+ world record status simply for the same reasons they'll never grow largemouths over 12-15#s, the growing season is to short and the fish are bigger the further south you go. But I've been amazed at the 6-8# browns that have come from northern waters in the last decade when it rarely if ever happened anytime before.

I'm gonna hafta get me a Erie trip up, offshore 40-100 fish days with chunky browns would be fun NO MATTER where it was! :at the bar
RA

ROBERT CROSS

Red..

Can see Erie from my kitch'n window, sure is nice go'n out after dinner for an hour or two and come back wit a sore arm...come on up:big grin.

The lake is so much cleaner than it was 10yrs ago!!

Will be in your neck of the woods this weekend to pick up our new to us GSE, plan on a factory stop on the way home and then a stop to see Todd at HM.

Last edited:

flatout

We have our big tourney on Simcoe coming up this month. Rumour has it that the MNR netted an 8 lb6oz smallie in a survey. This fish will be 9+ in the fall full of smelts and gobies. The canadian record is 9 1/2 lb. There is a new Tundra and Tracker boat with my name on it if I catch a new Canadian record smallie. Also there is 50,000.00 up for grabs for first place. Last year we won it with 28.36 lb. This year were gonna win it again with over 30 Lb.

suicidealli

we have some good smallies up here... dale hollow is awesome, and in KY.. first trip down there i caught one just under 5....... there are some pigs in there... up north there are a lot of lake with a ton of smallies, but the pigs are harder to come by, or you have to fish huge waters......

roy

RedAllison

DAMN Ricky, what's that one on the right weigh? That fish has one HELL of a frame. A fish like that could hold ALOT of weight without getting any longer, whatta football.

Texoma got dang near EVERYTHING swimmin in it don't it? :cuss
RA

Fishforcash

The one on the right is a heavy 7, just a few ozs shy of the state record. He has owned the smallmouth state record 4 times. Record was broken on Eufala (eastern oklahoma) in 07. 8lbs 3ozs.

A bunch of OK lakes were all stocked with TN smallmouth about 20 years ago. Before that all we had were river strains which dont get real big.

Yes, Texoma has just about everything that swims in it.

ROBERT CROSS

:gone fishing

I went fishing this morning but after a short time I ran out of worms.
Then I saw a cottonmouth with a frog in his mouth. Frogs are good bass
bait.

Knowing the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in his mouth I grabbed
him right behind the head, took the frog, and put it in my bait bucket.

Now the dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. So, I
grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in its
mouth.

His eyes rolled back, he went limp. I released him into the lake without
incident and carried on fishing using the frog.

A little later, I felt a nudge on my foot. There was that same snake
with two frogs in his mouth.

Life is good in the South.