Thought I would share this....

catfish123

This is my first attempt at posting a picture........hope it works. If it does, this brings back some bad memories of a REALLY BAD and painful day!!! July 14th, 2012, 7:10AM, by myself, I managed to flip my XB2003. It was all over in about a second, no chance to react. You all be careful out there!!!

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

That brings it real right there.

I am overly cautious. Way too much to live and be around for. Never been above mid 80's even though my boat has more. My twin prop set-up also instills a LITTLE more confidence for me as well.

Thanks for posting

"Darth"

catfish123

The "real" putting it in perspective is when you are suddenly under the water, looking around for some light, so you know what direction to swim in...............:help

Alli-drenaline Rush

Catfish, glad that you are ok physically, and hopefully the mental anguish will diminish somewhat over time.... In the meantime, thx very much for the courage to post.

ADR

catfish123

For those of you who have never been "thrown out" or worse, be thrown out and when you surface, then see your boat upside down, it is not possible to convey to you the impact it will have on you then and in the future. It is a life changing event, provided you make it through it. I was lucky and God surely was my passenger that morning.

2003225X

Hopefully this picture or two will help everyone, especially the newer owners of Allisons respect them as much as they should be respected. I have hooked one badly, but never got thrown out of the boat, and I promise you, it will show you who the boss is real fast.

I am very confident that what caused what you see is the motor being 1/4" to high, and that is all it sometimes takes.

Seeing my dad and the boat in the condition they were both in is something I never want to experience again.

Stay safe!!

Last edited:

catfish123

What is left of the cowling is the small part hanging on the front of the motor. This was taken 6 hours after the "incident" right after I got the boat back on the trailer.

SLOmofo

The "real" putting it in perspective is when you are suddenly under the water, looking around for some light, so you know what direction to swim in...............:help
Yep. 1-19-2013. Water temp was 48 degrees. Luckily I had my Life-Line with impact panels on and there were two boats close by that gave aid. 100.9 and out! Swim to the light!

catfish123

I have posted this for no reason other than to have all the others who enjoy our great boats to simply understand how quickly "it" can happen. I sincerely hope it may help keep it from happening to someone else. I had 13 years experience in this boat prior to the incident but I never made it to my fishing spot that morning which was only about 1/2 mile further up the lake. If anyone would like any further information on it, give me a call at 717-965-7176.

Dave Hensley

As I get older and slower wisdom seems to be sinking in a little deeper. I still enjoy airing one out but have decided after several "sudden" events to take a bit more care. When I fish, I fish. Try to keep the boat under me and use discretion about the urges to do some high speed cruising. When I run hard I get another boat in the water and counsel the occupants on what to do if I get wet. I put all my safety gear on make sure cell phones are at the ready. If I can't get into a pick up boat on my own I don't want to be dragged into a pick up boat. Tow me inthe water to the shore and get EMT help. Of course sanctioned events are the way to go but trying to mitigate the risk of having a little fun will go a long way. I am sure there are more good tips about risk reduction and this might be a good place and time to share.

TBuck2003

Glad you shared this Bob. Gary I hope you are doing ok also. Nobody is immune from this happening, NOBODY. I was telling a newer A Owner yesterday that things can happen fast, and basically tried to give them some tell tale signs. I do this not to talk down to someone but to try to avoid what happened to Bob, from happening to anyone out there. Be Fast, Be Safe !!!!

Bobalouie

How the heck did you get her back on the trailer that full of water? Puts it into perspective for me, I was thinking of going a 1/4 up on my JP. Rethinking it a little bit now...

2003225X

The boat was originally fully upside down. That was right after they flipped it... then it took 2 hours to pump all the water out so it would float.

SLOmofo

TBuck, Please list all the tell tail signs you know of for all to see.

I know in my case I didn't have time to fully tighten my grip on the steering wheel. Usually I get the feeling it's going to happen...... grip tight..... and then as the turn is started I think....... "Is this the time I get wet!"

This time it was sense, grip, swim to the surface. Thats really all I remember.

Not bragging, I'm just slow to learn, I've probably hooked this boat 10 or more times. Being here on the left coast where there are very few Allison's or other high performance outboard boats, It's a self taught thing, in my case it's hopefully learn through each mistake. As I say I'm a slow learner.

I'm very, very lucky to be here to post. Bob in answer to your phone message I got this AM at work: The bruises are starting to go away but the torn back muscles are giving me pains this morning. Have almost stopped taking Advil 24/7. This AM as I'm typing this I'm waiting for the Advil to kick in so I can start working.

catfish123

Gary, glad to hear some of it is starting to go away, sorry it's not the painful part. I am six months now post-accident and I'm beginning to accept that my leg will never be right. Every time prior to my accident when I read about it happening to others, I somehow tried to explain their accident away in my mind, or rationlize it by thinking, oh yeah, well they did this or that wrong etc, so I was setting myself up to believe it would never happen to me because of that. Your most recent incident was like mine..........no warning, I like you only remember less than a seconds worth of what the boat did before it decided it no longer wanted me in it. Hang in there and stay in touch Gary.......I'll be thinking about you.