Thought I would share this....

catfish123

I would post some pictures of how my leg looked but I'm not sure I trust some of you guys to not ask for more pictures.................:big grin:big grin:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dave Hensley

Get well Gary. Had you posted earlier that you had gotten wet? Seems like we were just trading PM's. I am guessing boat stayed upright and the Rude stayed dry??

TBuck2003

TBuck, Please list all the tell tail signs you know of for all to see.

I know in my case I didn't have time to fully tighten my grip on the steering wheel. Usually I get the feeling it's going to happen...... grip tight..... and then as the turn is started I think....... "Is this the time I get wet!"

This time it was sense, grip, swim to the surface. Thats really all I remember.

Not bragging, I'm just slow to learn, I've probably hooked this boat 10 or more times. Being here on the left coast where there are very few Allison's or other high performance outboard boats, It's a self taught thing, in my case it's hopefully learn through each mistake. As I say I'm a slow learner.

I'm very, very lucky to be here to post. Bob in answer to your phone message I got this AM at work: The bruises are starting to go away but the torn back muscles are giving me pains this morning. Have almost stopped taking Advil 24/7. This AM as I'm typing this I'm waiting for the Advil to kick in so I can start working.
Gary although it is damn near impossible to list all scenarios I will give you some important ones to me. All this is predicated on the fact that before you went out you did the obvious pre flight checklist. Like check the prop, LU, skeg, steering etc... Most of the incidents occur because motor was too high. So hear are some signs of that...

1. You will feel the keel steer at medium to mid range speeds. Boat is not lifting correctly so the "V" is digging through the water.

2. Steering Torque, you know how your boat feels and steers, if it does not seem right stop and address it.

3. Rooster tail or prop wash will not lay down. When you are accelerating for a top end run, whether that is 60 or a hundred, the tail will go up upon acceleration, and will then lay down lets say after 4-5 seconds as speed increases. If tail will NOT lay down, prop is spitting water not grabbing it. I usually shoot for telling customers that it should be LOWER than top of engine cowl. Best scenario is that it is flat.

4. The most important sign is trim response !!!! When you are up on the pad ,on the way to a top end run if you bump the trim up and it does not respond quickly to free up the nose, that is a problem. Where some folks get into trouble is that when that happens, instead of backing off slowly they try to trim up again because the boat did not free up the first time. Once this is happening you are no longer in control of what is happening. At this time the boat can hook or (Bat turn) at any given moment, and possibly pitch you out, or throw you around inside of the boat an injure you.

This does not cover all scenarios that are possible, just the most common one motor height. Hope you are feeling better Gary.

catfish123

Todd, your post is spot on!!! There is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that my main problem was motor height, and looking back on the months that preceded that "incident", all the signs were there. Interestingly enough, there were those who thought my motor wasn't high enough although I blame nobody but myself. Years ago, I had the same symptoms and I KNEW the motor was too high. If the need for a better top end number consumes you to the point that you are never satisfied and you just "know" there is more there to get, sooner or later you will become a victim and wind up :help

It is the wise person who doesn't learn how high with the jackplate is too high by continual experimentation. I agree more than 100% with you Todd and I feel totally confident that had you driven my boat the way it was that morning with the 28 ET instead of one of your Hydromotive Quad IV OT's, that you would have dropped the jackplate down and I never would have learned what was too high the way I did. Thanks for your post, it helps confirm what I feel was my real issue. At some point, 100 rpm's just simply isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:

msethsmile

Funny Guy
my list:
1. never, ever go thru the dash
2. swim to the light, even if you're unconscious...
3. enjoy the Life Flite ride, unless (see #2)

jas638

Banned
Todd, your post is spot on!!! There is ABSOLUTELY no doubt in my mind that my main problem was motor height, and looking back on the months that preceded that "incident", all the signs were there. Interestingly enough, there were those who thought my motor wasn't high enough although I blame nobody but myself. Years ago, I had the same symptoms and I KNEW the motor was too high. If the need for a better top end number consumes you to the point that you are never satisfied and you just "know" there is more there to get, sooner or later you will become a victim and wind up :help

It is the wise person who doesn't learn how high with the jackplate is too high by continual experimentation. I agree more than 100% with you Todd and I feel totally confident that had you driven my boat the way it was that morning with the 28 ET instead of one of your Hydromotive Quad IV OT's, that you would have dropped the jackplate down and I never would have learned what was too high the way I did. Thanks for your post, it helps confirm what I feel was my real issue. At some point, 100 rpm's just simply isn't worth the risk.
first ,i would like to say i am glad you are ok!!! scary to be in a boating accident. when i was a kid bout 12 i was thrown from a boat. an overpowered 11ft whaler with a 60hp merc. happened so fast it took me out of my shoes. luckily i wasnt hurt . but hitting the water and not knowing which way is up scary!!! i believe in guardian angels!! i believe every time we live to tell others about something that should have killed us a guardian angel has divinely intervened.after talkin to ya bout this ,i no longer hang my boat out without having another boater out there with me. i also no longer push it to the extreme to get that extra 1-2 mph! i also do not like mercury et props on allison boats . i bought one just to try it. no good. bow lays over to hard at high speeds.coming off the throttle ,todd said it best "feels like the tail is wagging the dog" . they just seem to make the boat act unruly . i sold it. i also believe in keeping the motor even to 1/4 inch below the pad.

atgill

Thanks for the update, and glad you are ok.
I have 4 et s , I'm going to be very caucous now.
Not into speed like I was, but if its there I will use it.
May have to call Todd and see what he has now.
Thanks Catfish for posting!!!!

SLOmofo

Get well Gary. Had you posted earlier that you had gotten wet? Seems like we were just trading PM's. I am guessing boat stayed upright and the Rude stayed dry??
Yep we were. Now convalescing. Happened 3 weeks ago today. Bruises starting to fade. Pulled back muscles not giving sharp pains.

I'm very, very lucky.

There was water in the boat when I pulled the plug, probably from me and my wet clothing. Looked at the boat last Sunday didn't see anything, but it's going to get a thorough going over before IT gets wet again!

FLYING BUTCHER

Great post. Just thought I would ad my two cents??? I thought I could "handle" an Allison as good as anyone?? in the country! WRONG, it isn't how you can drive or handle it is what happens that controls YOU. Stuck trim relay=motor in trailer position=NO STEERING!! Heard of it BUT would NEVER happen to ME!! Again WRONG! Lucky the man above was with me, could have looking up at the grass. No matter how (GOOD) you are or think you are it can all be over in a blink! You really can not be to careful! Enjoy to the max but keep in the back of your mind IT COULD HAPPEN!!

K.Kiser

I got spit out two years ago, but not a bat turn... I was doing one of those super g-force turns that these boats will do, and when the time come to straighten that puppy back out, the hull instantly rolled outward so high that the prop went dry... The hull was actually on the rubrail so high that it washed the XB badges from the rear part of the top cap, and I went swimming about an hour after I had just scraped ice from my truck's windshield... Shrinkage did occur...

When I surfaced the boat was about 50-75 yards away and soaking wet everywhere... The cowling was dislodged from it's base and cocked to the side with a broken off lower skirt... I'm not 100% the boat didn't roll all the way over to to hit the the cowl that hard... As it was listing over my shoulder was actually starting to drag the lake as the boat's front casting deck looked vertical and I was in the dark shadow of the hull.. I was certain at that point with the direction of the boats path and the direction of lean that it was gonna cove over on my, and I lost grip and kinda let go at the same time..

It's no secret, but very often denied within one's own mind that these boats can and will hurt you given the right opportunity... I'll never be in the same mindeset ripping across the lake as I used to have...

I used to think that these boats will do some crazy stuff, but somehow would never flip over.. I do not subscribe to that opinion anymore.... I thank my stars I was alone in the boat, and there were other close by to help and that is the best case scenario when lack of wisdom gets the best of us...

catfish123

Great post. I'm starting to think that this type of incident has in fact happened to FAR more people than most of us would have previously believed. I know of many reasons people tend not to openly share this type of thing. I, like you, will never get into the boat again and feel quite the same about it. I just hope people don't view all this as "lecturing" or that any of us have a hidden agenda in sharing our stories. There is NOTHING that will give one a full understanding of what these events are like and the aftermath of them better than having first hand knowledge. If my post keeps just one person from going where I have been, then it was more than worth the time I've spent beginning this thread. Thanks to all you have contributed to it.

fnshrmaster

Great post. I'm starting to think that this type of incident has in fact happened to FAR more people than most of us would have previously believed. I know of many reasons people tend not to openly share this type of thing. I, like you, will never get into the boat again and feel quite the same about it. I just hope people don't view all this as "lecturing" or that any of us have a hidden agenda in sharing our stories. There is NOTHING that will give one a full understanding of what these events are like and the aftermath of them better than having first hand knowledge. If my post keeps just one person from going where I have been, then it was more than worth the time I've spent beginning this thread. Thanks to all you have contributed to it.
I can tell you that I do not find your post as a lecture at all. It shows that no matter how much experience you may have with one of these boats, bad things can and do happen. Thank you for this thread, it will make me think when I get behind the wheel.

You had someone watching over you that day for sure, glad your o.k. Kurt

SmallJaw

Pushing the edge in just about anything involving speed will lead to close calls and occasionally catastrophe. God wired many up to go a little further in the "edge" department than others. I don't think any less of a man for admitting he don't have the nerve than I do one that can run 105. It's all perspective. I love my boat like all of you and I do respect it immensely. But, I also know I am one split second from a bad situation at any time. No different to me than driving on the highway. You never know when the guy coming at you is coming into your lane head on. You have to be vigilant and have your options in mind for what you will do. You may not have time to do anything, and if so be ready to meet your maker. Things happen ultra fast on the water. Last year I hit a 99.5% submerged tree at 65 mph. Flew a loooong freak'n way and luckily came down upright. Nothing I could do about it. Bad feeling those micro seconds of air time!:wink

whipper

Gary what the heck!! Hope you get well soon.:gasp Catfish its always a good reminder these threads. Its easy to get cocky and as mentioned Allison will show ya real fast whos boss. Todd great tips for tell tails. The trim {one more time} if not responding is probably the kicker one as ya said. Along with engine to high in the first place.

Gary how frinken rude?:big grin

Dark Allison

Wow ! Glad weren't hurt too bad or any worst. Trim and motor heights has gotten a bunch of us. I've never gone out of one yet. I've been thrown in the floor twice. Once by a rookie driver blowing one out and the second by a steering arm breaking a high speed. We all need to be careful.