Ugly Gear Case

MWest77

Hey guys. A crack on my gear case was repaired not too long ago and it looks like the filler material and paint are peeling off. What surfacing material do you use? Looks like bondo was used and it didn't hold on the side of the skeg. Pretty sure its affecting performance too. :same ole song:don't_care

LakeAnna

Without looking at it I would say first you need to grind ALL of the existing stuff off especially if any of it has gotten damp. If its cracked grind it out etc. etc. Once you have clean aluminum to work with and the skeg is straight like you want (or bent like you want) lol. I always used marsons or dynatron kitty hair or evercoat's metal to metal filler. The stuff is not bad to work with just be sure to use and mix it per instructions so it sets well. Rough it up with 60 grit to nock the top layer off and follow with 120 on up to 320 prime, sand, prime, sand and paint.

Use a decent etch primer 2 light coats and usually the paint will stay on pretty well. Rattle can stuff is great for little repair jobs like yours.

I forgot to mention you may want to skim over the fiberglass filler with a lightweight glaze type filler to fill any pinholes and get it super slick for primer. Something like easysand or dolphin glaze works great.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

Michael if you have some pics of it post them up...

I'm not an expert by any means but that's what has worked for me in the past. My first OMC gearcase was worked with the bobs cone attached with tiger hair and I never had an issue. It was tack welded for saftey reasons but not welded all around. I also made the torque tamer out of the stuff without issues and it lasted.

Evercoat Kitty Hair is good stuff for what your doing I think...

Last edited:

Ocktane

Marine Tex Epoxy is what I used, and just Krylon primer and Quicksilver black spray paint. Over the actual crack there isn't any epoxy, just over some other spots on the skeg. Take some pics or I'll take a look at it next time we are together.

catfish123

Under the case, in the back, that isn't a crack running from the back of the skeg, towards the front, and down.........is it?????? Sure looks a bit like it. Maybe that is where the "crack" was? If so, that's not in a good place to have one.

MWest77

That's the filler peeling up. Going to strip it off and maybe bring some dye penetrant testing stuff and check it out before I redo it.

catfish123

Good.......glad to hear you are carefully checking it. Hopefully, it's nothing.

jas638

Banned
becareful with skeg cracks and repair. i would personally never run a repaired or welded skeg.

MWest77

Is this the case that just went thru the sandbar about a week ago?
Yeah. I was idling out to the lake very slow like. I was talking to Nick as it happened cause we were right next to each other. I immediately trimmed up. The paint nearest the top of the skeg was already like that. I talked to Nick and he's gonna come by and help me get it repaired.

MWest77

becareful with skeg cracks and repair. i would personally never run a repaired or welded skeg.
I know what you mean. If I could buy a new gearbox, I would. The repair is good, just the filler material on the skeg is coming off. There is no filler material on the welded repair section which is good so I can monitor it. Lots of guys on here got what seems to be an endless supply of money but some of us ain't got it that good right now with this economy thing. Buying new gearboxes, power heads, props, and boats every year isn't in the budget.

chester8420

Looks like bondo was used and it didn't hold on the side of the skeg.
I have tried a few different materials to fair in the cone with poor results. The filler always absorbs water and peels off.
One time I decided to get fancy. I spent about 2 days working with resin and cloth. I laid several layers of fiberglass to the side of mine but it eventually peeled off just the same. I guess I hit too much stuff. I called bob's and asked them what they use to fair them in. It is supposedly waterproof. I bought a can of it but I haven't tried it yet.

I would like to get a lower unit that has the nosecone molded in, and not glued/welded on. But those cost about as much as I paid for the boat. :mad: I guess I just need to get rid of it and get something I can afford, like a jon bote.

Last edited:

jas638

Banned
I know what you mean. If I could buy a new gearbox, I would. The repair is good, just the filler material on the skeg is coming off. There is no filler material on the welded repair section which is good so I can monitor it. Lots of guys on here got what seems to be an endless supply of money but some of us ain't got it that good right now with this economy thing. Buying new gearboxes, power heads, props, and boats every year isn't in the budget.
i hear ya , some guys got it good enough to do that! i say good for them! thats not you nor I. i am a one boat kinda guy myself. i agree the economy sucks. everyone needs to get ready for the next 4 yrs of misery!!! things are gonna get worse!!!! i got hundreds of friends who lost everything in hurricane sandy.we have to be thankful for what we still got. be safe ,keep an eye on the skeg .