Water in a Sportmaster case?

catfish123

What are all the possible causes of water getting into the oil in a Sportmaster gearcase?..........Now I have that problem!..........Does the "fun" never end???

bigtis

What are all the possible causes of water getting into the oil in a Sportmaster gearcase?..........Now I have that problem!..........Does the "fun" never end???
Not having a pencil roll to deflect the fishing string could be a cause. Lol!

catfish123

I just knew there had to be at least one drawback to having sanded the lip..........:laughing:laughing:laughing............thanks for identifying it for me. Up until now, I thought the results were all positive.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it have rusty shafts? I've seen the seals wear nasty grooves in the driveshaft and propshaft befrore. Could be something as simple as fishing line getting in there. Maybe it was real humid out last time it was filled.

F2008

I agree with Brian.

Bob, I think the most common on our gearcase is either the drive shaft seal, or shift shaft seal. Running them high like we do gets the oil warm causing it to expand, as the oil cools it draws water in at the weakest point.

Reynolds Racing Marine has a good shift shaft seal fix,
http://www.reynoldsracingmarine.com/rrstoref2.htm
When the page opens click on “Problem Solvers”

If the drive shaft or prop shaft seal surface is all rusty and boogered up you can have a speedi-sleeve installed. It’s a thin sleeve that fits over the bad portion of the shaft and provides a smooth surface for the seal to ride on. They work pretty good. Had one installed on my driveshaft 2 seasons ago and so far so good.
http://vsm.skf.com/en-US/HeavyDuty/KitsAndTools/SpeediSleeve.aspx

I’d still check for fishing line behind the prop first, that’s the easiest.

reward69

A few years ago I had a oil inlet seal that split ans was letting water in. It was the blue ones that merc sells. I only use the yellow,ones now and haven't had a problem.

Brack

jmo........everyone understand?....JMO ONLY..

on the reynolds shift shaft seal......

great product....(not here to bash anyone),......but its to good of a seal......lol

as the GC heats up and the oil expands the pressure goes somewhere.....to the weakest seal.....(the prop shaft seal).....I went back with the Merc shift shaft seal.....jus say'in

ok...again JMO only.......the sporty drive shaft is junk.....I run a "cut" 15 inch standard fish'in motor drive shaft.....no need to worry about the pitting issue...but remember I jus' have a ol' fish'in mota

Last edited:

DragAlly02

What's the deal with the sporty drive shaft?
jmo........everyone understand?....JMO ONLY..

on the reynolds shift shaft seal......

great product....(not here to bash anyone),......but its to good of a seal......lol

as the GC heats up and the oil expands the pressure goes somewhere.....to the weakest seal.....(the prop shaft seal).....I went back with the Merc shift shaft seal.....jus say'in

ok...again JMO only.......the sporty drive shaft is junk.....I run a "cut" 15 inch standard fish'in motor drive shaft.....no need to worry about the pitting issue...but remember I jus' have a ol' fish'in mota

Brack

Mike....the sporty shaft pitt's around the water pump area.......I run a 20 inch fish'in mota shaft cut down.......they dont pit,..........thats jus what I do, I dont want to deal with the sleeve and all that Bullchit......but thats jus me,........... Im a little different,...all this is JMO only,

resqu-u

This problem must be the flavor of the month... I changed mine friday and found some water. My little blue seal on the drain mag plug was split so I'm hoping that was the problem. My prop shaft has a little pitting but nothing bad, haven't checked the shift shaft seals.

suicidealli

Brack is correct. The sporty shafts are hardened, and they do pit. I have seen one shaft that had pits, and it broke off. You could see the rust from the pits, and was inside the drive shaft. Looked like tiny veins going through the shaft...

Most people over fill their GC. leave a little room for the oil to expand.

Roy

Brack

This problem must be the flavor of the month... I changed mine friday and found some water. My little blue seal on the drain mag plug was split so I'm hoping that was the problem. My prop shaft has a little pitting but nothing bad, haven't checked the shift shaft seals.
....always change the drain gaskets every time you change your GC oil.....they are cheap,

resqu-u

I had a shop do the h2o pump/oil change last summer. I'm hoping it was the lower seal as it was in bad shape. I'll change it again after a few trips to monitor it. I filled until a little came out of the vent then capped the vent and put the mag plug.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a shop do the h2o pump/oil change last summer. I'm hoping it was the lower seal as it was in bad shape. I'll change it again after a few trips to monitor it. I filled until a little came out of the vent then capped the vent and put the mag plug.
I think you are supposed to let an ounce or 2 dribble back out once you have it coming out the vent hole. This creates an air pocket for expansion so you are not forcing the lower unit lube out around the seals when it warms up.