Welded Pistons

Chummy

I am not mislead by any builder because they post on a message board more than another, in fact I called many engine builders before I sent my motor anywhere once I realized there was a problem. Once I talked to some of these engine builders I chose the one that I thought could do the job the best and that is the only one that asked questions about what I was doing with the boat none of the others did. So that being said if I

CHRIS IND

Warrranty

Warranty speaks volumes about confidence. Not much more to say about that.

There's one thing about this site that's different from S&F. There is no "supporting vendor" protection here ie., "Greg, check his IP for me." (no, that wasn't me, US1) That engineer was simply asking the tough questions; read "have you thought it out". We do that sometimes. Knowing that bad things about "supporting vendors" rarely surface on SF, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the "blind faith" required to purchase without a warranty (especially when that site is the biggest source of information/feedback available). I'm not bashing, it's just my gut.

About engineers.....people don't always understand what they are up against. When we design things, we want them perfect. Trust me, we do. BUT, there are ALWAYS compromises that must be made. When you work for a large American corporation, that compromise is almost always centered around cost. Mercury is no different. Again, not bashing, just stating facts.

Chris

fishnfireman

DAYUM :!: :!: lOOk what I started here :arrow:

Well I finaly got those welded pistons put back in the holes. They sure do sound good. Sliding up and down without the pin rubbing the cylinder.
I figure for my situation, it was money WELL spent.
What's 300 bones against 1000 for a hotrod fishing motor.

I figure if this darling will last two more years it was a good deal.

That's about how long it's going to take me to figure out a way to move the livewell and toilet in this 21 prosport so I can set one of those 168 pound 400 horse 4 strokes in the bottom and hook it to a bravo outdrive.

JUST think I would have the first I/O Allison :idea:

FlatOutAlly

Extremely well said, Chris. I might add that in addition to the always popular, cheaper is better corporate philo, schedule has now become just as critical to the execs. Guess what this means?

As for this, Fireman,

fishnfireman said:
JUST think I would have the first I/O Allison :idea:
You better hurry, man.....

It's being done.

JR

For what it is worth...

I spent almost 3 years racing the unlimited two-stroke Go Karts. We used both cast pistons and forged pistons. We were burning methanol with nitrobenzene and turning over 18,000 RPM. We also cut windows into the piston skirt and drilled pinpoint lubrication holes in each piston, which weakened them. Both types lasted as long before they cracked, but the forged pistons [Weisco] definitely "stuck" much easier than the cast Yamaha pistons.
JR

GPI Racing

Nice piece Chris. Amazing how all this knowledge is just smoke and mirrors to some. Proof that if you do the homework the answer is there for the taking. Nice to see some people have moved on from 1985.

Randy

ALLISONMAN

i pretty sure that is talking about a aluminum sleeve and using those pistons rather than a nick sleeve like in our 2.5's!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

GPI Racing

Allyman,

Read it further and indepth. It took me a couple times but what it tells you deeper in the article is the actual strength of the new cast metals they use in the pistons, block, etc. It's very "engineering speak" but the info is there.

Randy

JR

Vega

I was one of the poor souls who actually bought a new '71 Chevy Vega. My cylinder walls were completely ovaled out by 25,000 miles and I junked the car after the second engine failure. Soon afterwards Ralph Nader filed a class action suit and Chevrolet replaced all of the Vega engines with cast iron blocks.
JR

froggy

Aman,

The liners we have in our performance 2.5's are aluminum and they are plated with NICOM to reduce wear (NIKASIL hasn't been used since the early 1990's when Merc quit using Germany for their plating and micromachining. Yes, there is a difference between NIKASIL and NICOM. Cannot plate NIKASIL in USA due to EPA regulations).

The V-6, 2.4 blocks were all aluminum with chrome plated cylinders to reduce wear.

The point of the article is that the higher the silicon content of an aluminum alloy the less it distorts (gets out of round in our applications) under thermal loading. There are minimal negative effects of this high silicon content. The fracture strength is somewhat reduced with higher silicon content (this is to be expected because the silicon is a dis-similar material and is encapsulated in the metal matrix). High silicon pistons are good!!!!

froggy

ALLISONMAN

yes i know that but your are right it is coated for strength and durability!!! My first car was a 71 chevelle wish i hadnt totaled it!!! but i still have my 3rd car a 70 chevelle ls-6 454!!! right now it is in real street trim with a 1000hp blown small block in it!!!!!

still not sure on the research on the high silicon pistons!!! just like the vega they thought they were the best thing going and a couple years later realized they were junk!!!!!! I would like to see some drag racers with the high silcon pistons and see how they hold up under those conditions!! maybe later down the road but i dont have the money to be the research guy!!!!! the old school design has worked for me and the guy that helps me out so I think I will stick with what works for him!!! he has been around racing and allisons and mercurys probably longer than anyone around!!!!

FlatOutAlly

ALLISONMAN said:
.....the old school design has worked for me and the guy that helps me out so I think I will stick with what works for him....
Hmmmm..... Fairly narrow minded don't you think. Just imagine where we would all be if Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Aronow, Pipkorn, Hledin, etc. had thought that way. :roll:

Yellowallison

Hmmmm..... Fairly narrow minded don't you think. Just imagine where we would all be if Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Aronow, Pipkorn, Hledin, etc. had thought that way.
HEY AMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeallrz gotz nuther idea for YU to condut a nuther POLE on!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoz iz....... GPI's MASTER PEEPEE HOLDER when he PEES in the snow..

I can't decide weather to vote for CHRISIND or FLATOUTALLY :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FlatOutAlly

Yeller - Your humor is something else! Gives me a very nostalgic feeling by bringing back memories of Jr. High School. Seems that's the type of humor that the guys had that were there when I started 7th grade and still there when I left. :p

Yellowallison

I stayed behind in the 7 th grade because of the teacher had NICE TITS !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: