Wing plates

nort

Is there a difference between the wing plates used for a 15" mid vs a 12" mid?
I'm switching from hydraulic steering on a 20" offshore mid to string steering on a 12" mid and need wing plates. I've heard there is a difference but haven't been able to find out what the difference is.
Any input from from guys running 12's would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

patches

Alc is right. The bolt pattern at the mid is different. I was thinking about building some new ones for mine. If I do I'll have mine for sale

nort

Thanks for the input.
Is there any difference in the geometry or is it just the power head bolt pattern?
I've been told that the wrong wing plates on a 12" on an Alli can both, hit the deck and get slack as you trim up.
I know there are guys out there running 12"s on an Alli xr01...what are you running for wing plates and where did you get 'em?
I take great pride in building and rigging my own stuff but I hate to reinvent the wheel just for the sake of saying " I made these"
Lookin' forward to more feedback.
Thanks.

patches

Mine are flat. Mine are actually made from a set of 15's that someone previously cut the old holes off and recut/drilled them for the 12. I don't see how a set of wings could hit the deck unless they were really funky. I run my mid straight on the transom, you cant get a motor farther forward than mine and my wingplates don't hit the boat.

As far as geometry and slack. That would have more to do with the center of the steering pulley being lined up with the tilt tube. Mine doesn't but it's not really an issue. I adjust them to the tension I want at a running angle so when it's at full tuck they're a little loose but it's not an issue

Last edited: