Wood in Tstats How to flush it out.

hooken203

2015 250 XS I hit a log the other night now I have mulch in the stats cleaned them twice and the second time it had more than the first because I didnt get it all cleaned out of the lower unit. What I want to try is run it on a garden hose with out the stats just to let the water pass right through taking any splinters with it. Of course I dont want to harm the engine but to me running 5 minutes without stats at idle wont hurt a thing. Just not sure it will get the junk out of it.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
You pull the gearcase and check the water pump to make sure nothing's caught in and under there too? If you pull the case you can put the garden hose on the water pipe and put pressure on there to blow anything thru, maybe take poppet out too and see if anything comes out. I really don't know how to make sure you got it all out of the system though.

Last edited:

whipper

When you run the hose with the gearcase off and tstats out make sure you have good flow out at Tstats. Dont run water past that point. Might divert into bucket to see if anything comes out? After that diconect next section and make a little nozzle from something to fit the water tube and repete to next section. If there is somthing in there you dont want to flush all the way threw the system if you dont have to. Doing it buy sections will be more accurate. Im not sure of the routing with the new motors but Chances are if it made it past the tstat then it might be small enough to make it all the way threw. For the first couple of times just keep a close eye on temps is all. if they shoot up then you know you have something in there still. Make some high speed passes to flush out the system good also. Chances are your good to go if the temps dont look off after a good section by section flushing. Were ya can stuff a small wire threw the hose and probe around isnt so bad either. Usually the Stats is were youll find anything big enough to be a problem and back. But a flush past there from there is always a good idea.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do not need to start it if the lower is off and you are putting the hose on the water pipe. Pull the stats and pull the poppet to check for more debris. You might want to pull the side plates off the sporty and check there too.

hooken203

Those side plates might make this some what easier. I can't believe I got about 40 minutes of run time on this thing and I am working on it already.

whipper

Those side plates might make this some what easier. I can't believe I got about 40 minutes of run time on this thing and I am working on it already.
haha ya that sucks!! Nothing like getting intimate with this your motor though. My wife thinks I love mine more than her.:beer: