XR2001 Rear Fairing

Scott Gilmore

Does Allison make a lower non tall fin rear fairing for a 2 seater XR2001 ? Or is that a custom made thing, if they do make one any idea how much ? Thanks ! Scott :beer:

racerx

Gilmore,quit being cheap,give up the bottle for a week and you can buy one...You going down to Jasper?

Scott Gilmore

Gilmore,quit being cheap,give up the bottle for a week and you can buy one...You going down to Jasper?
I'm not sure if Allison even makes one or they're a custom thing. Jasper, I'm heading that way & then to Fla. after that.........I might be there unless I find some really good bars first. Sometimes I get stuck in downtown Nashville for 3 or 4 days!! Scott :at the bar

Mr. Scary

They've never offered one. Through the years, they've only offered three styles - a river racer fairing, a 20" motor fairing (the first few years only), a 15" motor fairing and a 12" motor fairing. All are the taller raised fairing like the SS-2000 race fairing.

I've seen some that were cut down and flatter - but those were custom jobs.

Scott Gilmore

They've never offered one. Through the years, they've only offered three styles - a river racer fairing, a 20" motor fairing (the first few years only), a 15" motor fairing and a 12" motor fairing. All are the taller raised fairing like the SS-2000 race fairing.

I've seen some that were cut down and flatter - but those were custom jobs.
Well, that sucks........I hate the tall fin look plus not handy at all for trimming the motor up @ the lake !! Scott :sad

Mr. Scary

The question is what the hell are you doing with an XR-2001? You can cut it forward enough to get the gearcase above the pad and off the bottom of the lake.

Scott Gilmore

The question is what the hell are you doing with an XR-2001? You can cut it forward enough to get the gearcase above the pad and off the bottom of the lake.
I know I can cut it forward but that super tall fin still looks bad, look @ suicidealli's yellow SS pic 2 posts above. Don't you remember I cut that fairing with a sawzall drunk @ your shop when you delivered that boat to me new (I do like the looks of the race SS fairing, it's just a clearance issue)? OH I just remembered Allison does make the new XR "M hump" fairing on the new 01's, I wonder if the hatch is the same size as the 2000 year model ? Scott :gasp

suicidealli

just cut it bro. you did a good job for being drunk, and a saw zaw!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
i know a guy "allisonriverrat" put a hyd cyl on his. pushes a button, and it raises it up so he can trim the motor up higher.. sweet system..

roy

whipper

just cut it bro. you did a good job for being drunk, and a saw zaw!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
i know a guy "allisonriverrat" put a hyd cyl on his. pushes a button, and it raises it up so he can trim the motor up higher.. sweet system..

roy
That sounds cool.
What is the advantage if any having a fairing anyway? I do think it would stram line the air flow from hitting the blunt motor front cowl, is that about it? Do you see more speed with a fairing over without? I only ask because I think they look KOOL!! I thought about making one work on my GSE. Id need to do some fabricating but i like doing that sorta stuff anyway.

Mr. Scary

Gilmore needs a fairing for when he gets drunk and falls over....if the fairing's not there, he could get hurt falling inside the boat and hitting his head on the battery or gas tank :)

Plus, it's just that much more surface area to rest his drink on when he's at the sand bar.

Scott Gilmore

Gilmore needs a fairing for when he gets drunk and falls over....if the fairing's not there, he could get hurt falling inside the boat and hitting his head on the battery or gas tank :)

Plus, it's just that much more surface area to rest his drink on when he's at the sand bar.
Ok, those are all true statements !!! I still wish Allison made a fairing for the XR2001 like the short SS2000 fairing !!! Scott :beer:

FFWD

I took a different approach. I like the way XRs look without the fairing, but didn't want to leave the fuel cell, pumps, etc exposed. I made a sunbrella panel that slides in rails on the side. It turned out great as I don't have to worry about triming the engine, I can access the area from inside the boat, and it is lighter than the fairing.

Mr. Scary

In reality Scott, it wouldn't be that hard to do really. It may not be cheap, but you could have somebody cut the section out of the low SS fairing and glass it into a cut down RR fairing.

Call Allison...you never know...they might have had other people ask about that....

SSTOM

Darris had one @ Jasper tosay had the short ss style molded on to it. Nancy said it was for the guys that don't run ont to reduce wind drag. Tom

Mr. Scary

See...there you go! That makes sense because a lot of guys run their drag boats without the rear fairing in order to reduce the side wind rolling the boat over to one side or the other...

Sounds like they've got a sale! You better post pics.

Scott Gilmore

Oh, that's nice............I wonder if an 00 model is the same fit as the 09 model ? I'll call Allison next week !! Thanks ! Scott :at the bar

Mr. Scary

Fairings are interchangeable. The differences between the '00 and '01 and newer versions are:

The bottom
The front fairing has a little bit of an upscoop to help throw the wind over the driver...it's a little longer too.
The rear fairing had a headrest/cushion on it.
The design of the rear fairing changed - it changed again later to the dual hump.

The deck was the same though so any rear fairing will fit any vintage XR-2001.