xtb-21 vs xb2003

mtolley

the '86 xtb21 thati was restoring was a sub 800 pound hull. that boat had lots of places that you could see through and lots of flex in certain places on the upper deck. wish i could have kept it, it probably would have hauled the mail! mt

jimmyb

well, to weigh in on the subject, i owned both an XTB-21 and XB2003

the XB2003 was faster with my setup(s)... however my setups were based around tournament fishing and not ultimate top speeds

I seriously thought about pulling a "yellow allison" and cutting apart the top deck of an XTB and making it a dual console bass boat with a standard layout. However, Ricky (fishforcash) was nice enough to sell me his cherry 21XDC... so that cancelled those plans

Blue Gray in PA

I ran a 280 on my '89 XTB for a while and it pulled 90 with four on board easily - many of you saw it at the 2008 Rally with this setup. I never really tried for a top speed run because I fish and cruise with the family more than fly. I still have the XTB but the wider console on the XB2003 makes my wife happier when we get moving fast so that's where the 280 will be come spring. I remember someone was talking about making a second console to add to the rod locker lid on their XTB and that would be the best of both worlds. If the market stays soft, I may keep both boats but the XTB will probably go because the larger front deck and better wind protection of the 2003 fits my needs better.

The literature I have shows the weights and beam widths to be very similar between the XTB and 2003 models but the interiors are very different including seating area depth. The 2003 has a bigger front deck and a lower deck-to-cap-top height which makes fishing easier but the XTB seating depth to the casting deck height seems closer (less of a step up) and access between the cockpit and front and rear decks is definitely easier on the XTB. I have no problem moving around on the 2003 but it is a little more crowded with four on board when you're going from the cockpit to the front or back decks since you have to get from the starboard side seat to the port side to move forward or back. I'm still young (no wisecracks please) so I can step up over the windshield on the starboard side but the center aisle approach of the XTB was more convenient. My $.04 for the day...