Ya'll Gotta see this new TOY!!

K

Kevin from FL

Nope, ain't got it yet. I'm going to give them a call Monday.

I'll start in the grass for a bit and then the water. The flying part will come in small increments, touch and goes at first.

RB in NM

Yer kidding right? All them lil' snap together parts and pieces....I can just imagine that thing hitting the water a little too hard and coming unazzed,,,and the spendy parts sinking to tha' bottom.....

does it glue together or anything of the sort?

Russ

K

Kevin from FL

Russ, you get to epoxy all the things together :lol: and the directions suck :shock:

Hey, I like a good challenge and it will look good once it is all together and finished.

Flying Boat = $400
One or two weeks to build and detail.
30 seconds to destroy :lol:
Priceless :lol:

RB in NM

Well, I guess you'll be the first test pilot we have on here... :lol:

I guess once it's glued together and a few test runs done, you could paint it with something that will not eat up the foam, sand down a few coats and it may provide a little better strength ????

Interesting tho...Keep us posted bud!

good luck, and if you're like me and have a hound (I have 2 black labs),,, keep it ahead of em a few feet, whislt taking her for a spin on the lawn..... :wink:

Russ

JR

Toy Parts

The original model that was never produced had a lithium dry pack battery which is about the size and weight of a credit card, but very expensive. I guess they have value engineered it to make it more affordable. I wonder how much the spare parts are for us crash-then-cash flyers?
JR

K

Kevin from FL

Mike, here is the battery, it's 7/16's thick.

I'm starting the epoxy assembly.

Fit and finish is a little off on the sponsons.

GotMyAlly

Man...I was ready to drop the cash for one of those, but now I think I'll wait and see how your holds up. Looks kind rinky-dink to me. I was expecting a solid foam boat or at least something beside interlocking foam panels. Looks like the whole frame of that boat/car/plane thing cost about $.50.

Forkin' Crazy

Looks like it will be fun!! You can't see the fit and finish from 50', can you? :wink:

It couldn't be solid foam. Weight is such a critical factor. I want one too, but I am not an accomplished RC pilot, so maybe an electric RC plane would be better.... and slower too. :)

K

Kevin from FL

Paul, I'm not an accomplished RC pilot and have never built one, much less flown one :lol:

Guy's, what they advertise is nothing what you see, get and or expect from a kit. It's far from it.

I like a challenge and this has become a big challenge.

I wound up 1 part short for the flaps controller and had to make one myself out of a clear plastic clothes hanger. I also didn't get any engine mounts or hardware to attach the engine to the bulkhead. I had to make my own.

Other than these drawbacks, the thing is coming along.

More to come.

RedAllison

lol, now be honest Kev. Would it be nearly as much fun too an A-owner if all you had to do was stick it together, carry it outside and fly it like a frisbee???

Mods n jerry riggin is right up our "ALLI"!!! :lol:
RA

K

Kevin from FL

Well don't waste your money. This thing couldn't fly if you shot it out of a canon :evil:

I've spent 2 days trying different combinations of lowering/raising the engine and changing the center of gravity. Nothing works, it's just to dang heavy. I did get it to go about three feet in the grass though and when I put it on the driveway, it wouldn't move! It will zoom around in the water though :lol:

The cockpit with the engine, prop, servo's, receiver, controller and battery weigh in at a little over a half pound :shock:

BigRedAlli

Hey Kevin,
Sorry to hear your new toy ain't working out for you. Just wondering, is that one of the originals,or a copy? They look realy cool in the video,hard to believe the kit you got is the same product.

Me and a friend were into R/C planes about 15 Yr. ago and after rebuilding a plane that I dang near totaled,then stuck it into the ground on the second flight,I lost interest...

About 2 Yr. ago I decided I would try my luck again. Bought me a Sig Kedet MKII kit, ($80.00Great winter project, took about a month to build). Took it with me last Yr. on vacation to Green River Lake (they have a little flying field). Fired it up,took off, and about 5ft off the ground,my radio jamed and the plane crashed to the ground :evil: Luckly it came out ok. Brought it home and it sat for another year.
This year I got smart and bought me a new radio and came up with a different plan.....FLOATS....Since I spend most of my free time on the water, it only made since.....Bought me a set of 42'' floats and rigged them on.Took it on vacation this year and found me a nice spot, with no one around to see me wreck it :lol: Made two flights with no problems,I was so nervous,I decided to quit while I was ahead. Must say, it was realy cool. I just wish we hadn't forgot the camara.

If you are interested in R/C products, check out www.towerhobbies.com They have been around a long time and have good prices...

Best of luck......Marty

K

Kevin from FL

Thanks for the story Marty, glad you finally got it to fly without crashing.

I'm sure this lousy copy would of been in a bunch of pieces if it did ever get airborne :lol:

It's still fun to run it on the water, this thing scoots pretty good and looks cool. I'm going to do some mods for better on the water control :)

PS: Thanks for the link.

JR

New Toy

Kevin,
Is there any where that I can buy the "real Mc Coy" that will fly? Since I am having to pass on snowskiing this year, due to my knees, I will need a Winter hobby [besides paintball]. My level of boredom is running right at the surface.... They seem to be having trouble getting the engine in production to the one man heliocopter [Airscooter] so that doesn't look promising any time soon and I'm still to fat for an ultralite float plane to carry a passenger, even though I'm down over 20 pounds now.
Thanks,
JR

hack02

George, we can't nuke the Chinese. That would close Walmart down and then where would our illegal Mexican immagrants shop?