Your First Allison Experience?????????

mikesufka

Hey Guys -

I'm bored so I'm going to throw a question out there to hopefully hear some good stories and get some good reading material.

What was your first Allison experience??????????

For myself, I'll give you a little background. At the time of my first Allison encounter, I owned (should say my father owned, as I was in college) a Hydrostream Vasseret w/ ProV 150 "tuned" Yamaha combo. I pretty much thought I was the king of the lake. My "happy" Faria speedometer would spin up to low 80's.

Anyway, Hydrostream goes out of business and I start hearing about a "new brand" called Allison.

Later, a college buddy and myself were boating one day on Lake Alexander in MN when I noticed a red/white boat coming on strong with a Yamaha on the back. I planted my left foot and started to look back. The race was on. Sure enough, this boat was gaining. My buddy, who had never been in a fast boat before, couldn't believe what was happening and kept yelling at me "HE's Coming, He's Coming!!!!!!!!!!!". Unfortunately, the Hydrostream wasn't king of the lake anymore, as the Allison slowly crept by me.

After "the race" we stopped and chatted with the owner, who I had already known. For you Hydrostream fans, the Allison owner was Pete DeClur, who used to work at Hydrosteam with John Tiger Jr. under Howard Pipkorn. The boat was a XTB with a "tuned" Yamaha also.

I later drove that boat (my first Allison driving experience) to a speed of 84 MPH. I knew I'd own one someday.

This might be another story, but after some research, I found out about the Grandsport. I figured if I could get a red Grandsport/Yamaha combo, I would have the perfect boat. With no money to my name and attending college, that was a fantasy. Funny thing was I found the "fantasy Grandsport" in Hotboat Magazine (October 1996). It was owned by a guy in South Dakota and featured in "Letters". More on this later.

Later, I grew up (kind of), got a job, and bought my first boat (STV Euroski). My dad sold his Hydrostream. I got bored of the STV and bought my first Allison Grandsport, rigged with a 2.5 EFI. Loved that boat, but the lakes I ran on were a little rough for my Allison. Long story short, sold the Allison for an American Offshore and then a Spectre.

Last summer, I had the itch for an Allison again. I initially looked for an XR2002. About two weeks later, I found the listing for a Grandsport, located a couple of hours from my house. Believe it or not and as luck would have it, it was my fantasy Allison, the same boat that was in Hotboat Magazine. It is now parked in my garage.

Happy Memories!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Spectre 30 w/Twin 300 Mercs
Allison Grandsport/200 ProV Yamaha

Last edited:

Texan

My truely first experience with an Allison was the day my buddy and I met the kid I ultimately bought my boat from for a test drive. We drove down to the lake, put in and the kid idled out to the big water. He turned to me and asked if I wanted to take over. I motioned for my buddy to take the helm because he is da hi-perf boat driving man for me. He's rope raced pickle forks, owned a few Ally's and I didn't have a clue what to look for in a hi-perf rig. I was totally depending on him for opionions on this rig.

He jumped up front and settled in behind the wheel, and within a few seconds we were cruising about 75-80. He inched it up and bit and then a bit more. It was pretty calm on the water, but my arse was reaching out and grabbing the seat covers 'cause I'd NEVER been that fast on the water before. He got it on up a little more and I noticed he was looking down at the foot feed with a puzzled look on his face. The kid was in the back and noticed something wasn't quite right. My buddy leaned over to me and said that the throttle was stuck, WFO!!! I felt my throat reach down through my butt and grad a hold of the seat then. The kid asked what the deal was, and after he learned that we were stuck at WFO throttle, he began to freak. A few seconds later, he was up on the bow of the boat, holding on when we pulled the kill switch.

After we came to a halt, they got back there and pulled the cowling off trying to figure out what the deal was. The kid was stammering about how he'd NEVER had any trouble out of this motor, and this was the first time anything had happen to him like that. I was up on the bow pulling seat covers out of my arse when they figured that a plastic plug had sucked out of the bottom cowling, and wedged into the Brucatto intake, not allowing for it to close. Once they got that little deal taken care of, we were off for another run with me behind the wheel. I probably got it up to about 60, but decided that we would head back to the ramp to start dickering.

We ran on back to the storage building where the kid kept the boat stored. I'm not sure, but I think that little romp at WOT probably was worth a few thousand bargaining power. I left with the boat a little later that day.

wally II

Yeah Mike, I remember that letter I sent in to Hot Boat back in "the day". That Grand Sport/Yamaha combo has been a really sweet boat first for myself, then my buddy and now it is yours. Fun to hear your story about finally getting this setup.

My first sight of an Allison was in Avon MN. when I took my Baja/Yamaha 200 Pro V combo to get worked on by Randy Pierson at the then hi-perf. shop "Avon Marine". This had to be sometime back in the mid 80's. I loved fast boats and was just coming off an Avenger Jet boat that ran mid-60's and then the Baja that ran upper 60's which I thought was fast but...I wanted more speed.
When I picked up the Baja Randy asked if I wanted to look at his new boat in his garage. A true 100 mph boat he said. Well, when he put up the garage door I couldn't beieve the looks and lines of his ride. I knew right then and there I would have to get me one some day so.....

fast forward about three years, I'm now married with a very understanding wife and we travel back in mid winter to Avon Marine(now under different ownership) in search of a new boat. After checking out a Hydrostream Vulture(with a brown color scheme) with a Merc 225 that ran a reported mid 80's my wife said, "Hey, what is that over there in the corner?" Lo and behold it was a "Demo" Grand Sport without power. Long story short, my wife didn't like the color of the Hydrostream especially since the color of the Merc didn't match the boat, but she liked the color of the Allison, especially with a matching Yamaha and the deal was done. We had a choice of power between a Yamaha150, 175 or 200. My wife dickered a bit and got us into the 200 with Jack Plate, Hot foot and two props at a price we could afford. What a woman!

On my second Allison now, and couldn't image ever being without one.

mikesufka

Hi Mike

I guess I have Jennifer to thank then for the 200 ProV that sits on the back?

Sweet!

Mike

wally II

Yup, she is reponsible for that. She is the negotiator in our family. She also was the one who said, "go for it" when I went to Hydro Tec for the Phase II kit.
When the heck is spring gonna arrive?!??

JR

I have been driving boats all of my life and I always kept one in the water since we skiied year-round. I also later drove my boat to High School and left it beating on a seawall all day. I had a friend who raced Hydrostreams [and got killed in the boat races] so I bought a '76 Hydrosteam Vampire/OMC V-6 [just like the Boat Lynnard Skinner wrecked behind our house]. Later I bought a Hyrdostream Vector with a modded OMC V-6. I saw my first Grandsport that was for sale at a Marina in Drs. Inlet. I was turned off by the 20' length and it only had a Merc 150 and I was sure that my Vector was faster [which it was]. My OMSEIZE on my Vector could not be made not to cook pistons due to mid-range lean out so I decided to get rid of it or the boat too.
I started investigating what would be the best boat to perform the normal "missions" that we normally did and I came back to a Grandsport. I took a dealer's test ride with a 200 Merc and fell in love.
I went back to the Dealer and Ordered a new Grandsport with a ProMax 225 SS and the rest is history. I now have over 1500 hours on it and have loved every minute.

JR

Lotus 50

My first Ally experience was a 100 mph ride in a yellow SS2000 with a 280. Very impressive. By this point I had been reading about Allys in magazines and on the internet, and had sent away for a Grandsport brochure, but this was the first Allison I had seen in person.

A couple of years later I was looking for more power for my Virage (OK, some things never change). My acquaintance with the yellow SS2000 suggested I keep my XR4 and put it on a faster boat, ie his brother's red SS2000, which was for sale.

I thought hard about the red SS2000. I even had my father sit in it, as my father uses my boat, and I wanted to be sure he was comfortable in it. Eventually I made up my mind to buy the Ally, but by then it was sold. No surprise given how slowly I make decisions.

But by then I really wanted an Allison. Rick's yellow SS2000 was for sale. Next thing, my brother, a friend, and I are off on a long February road trip to pick up a yellow SS2000. A much better color than red, for me anyway.

Months later we finally got the boat wet, and couldn't get out of the 50s on our first day. Of course we did eventually see a lot more speed. The faster boat for the same motor idea has worked out very well. Even if I do still think about re-powering.

A B

Well, the crowd here has quite a few Allisons. I joined the group and started hanging out with them years ago. I was running a 19V Bullet with a modded 175 Yamaha at the time and thought I was the chit, until a little XB2002/260 just blew me off the water...:laughing

I am always around these boats, and the more time I spent with them the more they grew on me. I ended up trading the Bullet on my Stratos, which was fine at the time. Last summer I had the chance to drive a 2002/225 ProMax and did the sticker washing for a few minutes....A few months ago I was fortunate enough to get behind the wheel of a 2002 with a drag motor. Figured I do two warm up passes, then inch her up and see what she would do, but if I got uncomfortable I'd back out of it. On my third pass she felt pretty solid, so I decided to open the throttle a bit. Went to push it down and the throttle wouldn't move. I looked down and realized that I was running wide open! Went to idle back in, and a friend came out with his Venom to run alongside and gps my run, so I went back out...Set her back on the pad, sittin pretty, and looked over at him as he motioned "102" with his fingers....I got gut hooked after that! bad enough that I have acquired a 225 Promax to build up, and as soon as I can get my Stratos to sell, I'll be moving into a 2002. Got the chance to drive a few more Ally's (a 2003/260 and the infamous 2002 that blew me off the water years ago, but repowered with a 280). Yes, I got the fever....Dang Allisons!:laughing:laughing

mtolley

was out in mine today AB. loaded to fish with a 200, doin 89-90 gps in the river! i love this thing. mt

Scott in MN

My first ride was in a xb02 w/ a 260 on back right before a race, so Dave had on a good acceleration prop. I had ridden in his V-king w/ 200 mod on back before so I had a little of experience in fast boats. We were cruising across the lake at 70 MPH (ho hum) when he punched the pedal and my head snapped back reminding me of the days when I owned a built 468 Camaro. At that moment I knew I needed one of these boats. After the race Dave let me take it out by myself (something I would never let anyone do with my Ally) and I found out what rub-rail to rub-rail meant. It didn't matter, I was hooked (no pun intended) the sound of a 260 revving and the acceleration was in my blood. I sold a 600 HP corvette and went ally shopping. I found an early 90's xb02 w/ a 245 on back and started racing it shortly after I bought it. This is one of the most fun performance machines I have owned and every time I slam that pedal to the floor I am reminded of the day I took my first ride in an ally.

Last edited:

GFinch

I had seen Allison's in magazines butt never in the flesh. That is until our bass club went to Clear Lake probably mid 80s. When we came into weigh in there one was parked in a slip with no one around. A couple of us went to see. My first impression was "It's a canoe with an big outboard attached". Must have been a XB2002. At that time we were in a Sea Nymph Bass Attacker 50 Merc.
Never rode in one till I bought and re-rigged the one I have now. Still happy I did.
1994 XB 2004 w/3.0/3.3 JohnRude
"Sack O Cats"

GotMyAlly

My first ride in an Allison was in the one I now own. I had shopped on and off for one for a couple of years. Looked at a bunch on the internet, and a couple at local dealers. I never experienced the Allison ride until I bought mine. I bought it off Scream & Fly with no motor, and it was about 6 wks before I got a motor hung on it. So I actually had an allison in my garage for over a month and still had never ridden or driven one. I pulled it to Lawrenceburg to get a motor hung and then dunked her in pickwick for my first sticker-washing adventure.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I remember a guy that I worked with had a old 78 or 79 SS. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I never saw it in person just a picture of him flyin it on the pad. I can also remember when I was about 15 years old there where about 4 Hydrostreams that use to run the river. They all talked about how fast they would run like 95 one even claimed 98. Then one day this guy shows up in a old blue and white GT 20. He told those guy's that it would only run 90 MPH. He out ran all of them pretty easily. When I was about 23 or 24 years old I remember seeing a XB 2003 in a B&WB mag and thought it was the perfect bassboat. The best of both worlds. Add seats and cruise, remove seats and haul ass! Plus, you could fish out of it. I wanted one of those as soon as I seen it. I final decided this year I was gonna just buy one. The old ProCraft was starting to get ragged. Not, to mention anytime I seen an Allison somebody would say how they were paper thin hulls, you couldn't fish out of them, yada, yada, yada. But, everybody knew they were the baddest boats on the river. Thats why I bought an Alley. I decided I was gonna buy one. So, I started looking on Scream and Fly and here. Came across a solid white 1994 XB 2003 with no motor. I had a 1991 200 carb with a bad cylinder. The fella I bought the Boat from was kind enough to go thru it for me and done one hell of a job I might add. Now that I have it I wish I would have done it sooner. I also wish I would have found a 260 or 280 to go on the back. The first time I ever rode in one was when I went to pick mine up. Brian and I took it to lake Murrey in S.C. and run it for about half an hour. He gave me a few valuable driving tips. It's the only boat that I have been rid'in around in and caught someone taking my picture. I ain't the best driver yet but, I am getting the hang of it. God Bless those men and women of Allison Boats!

Last edited:

brotherxb03

The first ride I had in an Allison was in the XB2003 I bought also. I had seen a few Allisons run around locally and new of there reputation for quality. I was looking for a lighter boat that rode decent and was fuel efficient. I powered it with a 2.5 carb motor off my previous bass boat. Having owning a Hydrostream Varmit with a 200 before,I found out quick it drove like no other bass boat I owned before.

V6MERC

Man, these are some great storys, keep them coming! :cool

The first time I ever seen an Allison was in B&WB back in 94-95(the red XB2003 that just sold on here), and after reading that write up what seemed like 40-50 times, I had never seen a real one, but I told myself I was gonna have one someday... A friend and I had went to Oklahoma white bass fishing on Lake Grand back in '96, and I seen a lil gray boat(XB2002/Mariner ???) coming from a good distance and heard this weird "slapping" noise... Next thing I know this guy is flying buy us and I looked at Jeff and said "That was a friggin' Allison!!!!" We put our rods down and ran up to the ramp to get a glimpse at it, and the Allison craze was ON after that!!!

Well, I decided to get me a jon boat to start out with(all I could afford at the time), after that I went to a 1982 16'8" Champion with a worn out 150 'Rude on it and we had our first son... I ran the ole '82 for about 5 years and then upgraded to a 1994 19' Champ with a 200efi Merc on it... Well, the wife and I was expecting our second son and one day we was riding around the lake and Kim asked me "Who makes a bass boat with 4 seats in it?" :shock: I replied "Allison does!!!" She said, "Well, we may have to look for one next year or something.."

That same summer, we go to Norfork Lake in northern AR for vacation in July and head up to the local sand beach in the ole Champ... My brother-in-law and I start walking around a lil bit and I see a pewter and gray XTB21 with a er.. uh.. "150" Mariner on it sitting over on the other side, and I damn neared started running over to go see it!!! The owner notices me getting drool all over his boat and comes down to talk... A conversation turned into "You wanna go for a lil ride?" I said hells yeah!!! We get our PFD's on and he pushes us out into deeper water... As he's entering the back of the boat, he flips a lil switch under the rear cowl and I hear a fuel pump come on... I said "150 uh???" He replies with "well, parts of it.." :laughing We went for about a 20 minute ride and I was hooked to say the least!!! All I could think of after that day or night was Allison Boats!!!

2 1/2 months later I found my XB21 on the internet, showed the wife, she said yes and the rest is history... :cool

I sure do wish I could remember that guys man that gave me that ride, I think he's a member over on Scream and Fly, for all I know he might be a member on here... I do remember that he was for Illinois...

robert

I had a couple of buddies buy Bullets and of course they were the only two speed demons in our fishing circle. We all had Champions, Rangers, etc. Well when I saw the original Bass and Walleye cover withthe Allison on it, I decided to buy one, which I did over the phone. It came with a 225 merc and was a 2003 Prosport.

The first friend who came over to see it in my garage said "it looks like a dart". He owned a Champion at the time. He didn't think too much of it. He immediately though, bought a 300 Promax figuring I couldn't get by him with that much motor. Of course I did, no contest. He wound up buying an Allison. My other two "bullet" friends, whenever I would pull up next to them on the Lake, they would turn off so I never did get the satisfaction of a race.

Texan

My other two "bullet" friends, whenever I would pull up next to them on the Lake, they would turn off so I never did get the satisfaction of a race.
That's too kewl! My brother-in-law bought a Ranger (aka: wallered out log with a motor on the back) about a year before I bought my XB03. We both thought it was the very thing at the time. I never had the chance to fish with him before I bought my Allison. He has NEVER even hinted at wanting a ride in my boat, although many a times I've beat him to the SPOT on Fork since then.