Your First Allison Experience?????????

Speedman

For me it was the desire to win and never be 2nd! You see, second to me is just first loser!.
In 1994 I was on my second bass boat, a 15' stratos 355V with an inline Merc 115. That little boat did 64 mph and since most tourney boats had 150's on them, I kept right up and even passed some of them. That year, 2 things happened. The first was in a tourney in April in MAss ( very cold). I was fishing a Tourney and got boat number 3 on take off. I was heading up the river about 3 miles to a warm water discharge that only had enough room for 1 boat and if you got there first, you basically win the tourney ( now it's off limits). I was 200 yds from the discharge when a skeeter starfire got in front of me and cut me off as he was coming off plane and nosed his boat in first. Well that SOB won and I was p'd off big time. I said I WILL have the fastest boat some day! 2 weeks later, I was on the same section as a non-boater and got paired with a guy with a real cool looking boat called a "Gambler" it has a 200 yami on it and we got boat 43. He asked if I had a helmet as it was a single console and it was 38 degrees out!. I didn't but he had an extra, thank god! He explained we were running down the river 45 miles and it didn't matter that we had boat 43 as we would get there first! I said "yeh, right". We took off and immediately passed 5 boats in the first 2 miles and kept passing and passing. I was waving at the boats as we wasted them! We got to the cover first and caught a few but nothing to win, but I was hooked!.

I started doing research on Gamblers and test drove a couple ( even though I couldn't afford them). I got the annual Bassmasters boat review and saw this little clip about a boat called an Allison that went in the 80's with a 150! Wow, I thought, too bad it's in Tn! The Gambler did 77 and I thought that was cool! In June, I blew the power head on the 115 and decided it was time to go for my gambler. I found one real close to my house that was barely used, the guy bought it to fish with his kid when he got out of the service, but the kid hooked up with a hoe and married her, so the guy was selling the boat! The prob was the bank would not finance as he wanted more than NADA so I was heart broken.

The very next day, my best friend ( current owner of a 350 hp gator jet boat), calls me up and says "what was the name of that REALLY fast boat and I said "Allison" He replies that there is one listed in the Wantadvertiser paper for 14k and it was within an hour of his house! I called the guy and he was drunk! He asked me if I was a tournament fisherman cause he aint sellin it to no punks who would get killed in it!. Of course I lied and said I want a "family" boat with some speed. Well, we made the arrangement to see it and I pulled into his driveway to see this imacculate, sexy, beautiful 94 xb2002 with a rat 200 on the back! I was smiling like a kid who got his first BJ from the hottest cheerleader on the squad! Holy Cr$% was this thing cool! I wanted to buy it on the spot, but the guy said I needed to see it run and he would not let me drive it untila AFTER he had the check in hand! We met up the next morning on the river and it was a little foggy but beautiful Sept morn. He fired up that motor and we took off up the river. At 60 he said "you ready?" and I gave him the thumbs up! I then watched the 90 mph speedo got to "H" on the MPH on the bottom of the gauge!!! I absolutely could not believe what I was in! I bought it for 13k ( can't believe I had the balls to negotiate). He taught me how to drive it up to about 80 and it took a good year for me to get it comfortable in the low 90's.

I remember the first tourney I showed up " the guys nicknamed it the "space shuttle". Man I started a 10 year reign of terror on all the boats up here, winning so many tournaments because of the boat. Either because we wasted everyone to the best spot or because at the end of the day while they were running back to the ramp, I still had 5-10 minutes to fish. I would say that at least 10 times over the years, I have won a tourney in the last 5 minutes of the day because of the boat!

in 1997, the rat motor, blew up and I bought a 97 promax for 12k that was on a little mirage race boat that did 126 mph, that was a fun ride. In 2007 the power head on the promax went and has a new fresh rebuild with some extra goodies. The boat is worn as I have only waxed it twice in 13 years and the carpet is a little worn, but you can not find a single carck anywhere near the transom! I just redid the trailer and changed it from blk to white to match the boat.

The feeling you get when jumping tourney wakes at 80 mph is just so cool. EVERY person who has ever ridden with me has said it is simply the BEST riding boat they have been in, period!

22R

I grew up running and playin in the local waterways ( Diversion Canal, Amite River, Lake Maurepas ) in my Dad's old Flat boat and a 16' Ebbtide Dyna-Trak Bass Boat. After I finished High School (1987)l a friend of mine and his brother bought a couple of 16' or 18' Allison Race Boats with 115 yamahas .... I was hooked the first time I rode with them. I was in College and couldn't afford one and then a couple years later one of the Brothers bought a 93 XB 2002. I knew then that some day I would have one. After I was married and built my house in 1998 I started looking for a used one and found mine in New Iberia, LA. My lil' souped up 150 will push it to near 90mph but I don't push it too hard since I have small kids and I don't like investing money in motor parts. I really don't run mine too much more than 6-10 times a year, but I went fishing in it last weekend and found out why you can't catch fish out of an Allison.... They are are just too damm much fun to drive !! To me there is just something I can't explain about seeing a Allison flying low along a south Louisiana Bayou. I thought about selling it after my lil' girl was born but everytime I go in it I fall in love with the Damm thing all over again !
Ya'll Be careful !!
22R

Last edited:

Pat Brown

Probationary User
Hey Mike,
Remember that day up on Whitefish - back in the "good old days" before "Unofficial" gatherings and "Fests?" 2000 maybe? I had my HST, you had the Vasseret I think, and Randy had his yellow xb bassboat. Maybe Gilly, John and Dawn, Dyno Don and Eric Olson were there too. I had always been a V-bottom guy and was getting bored with the HST, and knew I would end up getting back into a V-bottom (I had a V-King at the time but it wouldn't handle big water and only went about 85 or so) Trouble was, being a dyed in the wool Hydrostream guy, I really had no choices for a fast V-bottom. Allison was out of the question because well - an Allison wasn't a Hydrostream. My loyalty to Hydrostream went back to the day in 1970 or so when I seen my first one pictured in the Minneapolis paper as it was winning a race on Lake Calhoun for the Aquatennial. It was a Ventura, and I wanted one. I've had several through the years. Well anyway, back to Whitefish. Randy said he was going 114 in the xb and I thought that was insane. I asked him if I could take it out. Never driving an Allison before I was alittle nervous. I asked Randy how much trim I should give it and he said leave it about where it is. For some reason that I don't remember, you came out with me - balance maybe? We went out about a mile or so, taking it easy. I do remember as we headed back toward Big Island I started giving it the gas, and you started yelling at me to slow down. I looked down at the speedo - 105 - Holy Sh&* I thought to my self. Hell of a boat, hell of a set-up. When we got back to the beach I told Randy that the speedo must be wrong, he assured me it wasn't. I asked him if he knew of any Allisons for sale. He said he seen an ad on Supreme's board for a SS2000. I went and bought it. First time out in the SS, on my second pass I got 102 out of it. Again I thought "holy sh$%^&".............On my third pass, as I started to slow down, the boat went into this long G-Force arch to the right that I had no control over - I thought Holy Sh$%^. I just had my first lesson about driving Allisons. I also learned why Allisons could out-turn our Hydrostreams so badly on the race course. Well anyway, I still have the SS. Thought about getting a Venom, but this SS is so well built, I have no reason to switch - yet. Hey Randy, thanks for letting me drive it.

Speedman

Here's what it would be if it was a Nitro.... Well folks, I live in the back woods and have no knowledge. I gradjeyated the thoid grade and want to get one of them thar bass boats. I remember seeing that shiny Nitro for the first time, All sexy with extra sparkle. I remember running my hands under the inside compartment lids...Oh the feeling of fiberglass shards in my hand. I remember looking at the transom and asking about the cracks already there and they said it was just SETTLING! I still remember that the guy said it did 80 and I was happy at 65 ( yes, I'm an idiot). Oh the spine tingling, bone crushing ride over 1' waves...my back thanks you Mr Johnny Morris. I remember when I went to sell it and couldn't get 500 bucks for it. I guess I should have bought a Ranger!!!

J

John Richied

Too the Top!

Just because it was some good reading! :smile

Lyons

First let me say thankyou for being a part of this group
First Allisoncraft experance was in the 70's
My dad just sold a skie boat and wanted some thing a bit faster
he had herd of Allison craft and went looking
found a 15' blue and white with a 150 merk
boat ran low 70's
sold that and picked up a new 20' and the 200 blackmax
just came out boat ran low to mid 80's
not e nuff so power head came off and off it went to
Dick Oday raceing in NJ
boat ran a bit faster
so then the
new 2002 mod came out
old hull was sold and the 200 O Day preped went on the new hull
with NOS from 10,000 rpm boat ran upper 90's
that was over 20 years ago
still to me it was a blast dont know if dad ever got his into trip digets but from what i rember the 2002 hull did
in the 80's some where around 108 or 109mph

aaronmt

Well my first ALLY experience is what brought me to this website. I was at the 07 Scream and Fly rendevous at Crescent Bar, WA, when I went for a ride in mediocre fast allison(lol) some of you may of heard of him, John Richied. I was sitting in the back seat next to a freind when we got next to a STV , and thats the instant I new I had to have an allison. I was talking to Jon on the beach as well my buddy Nick when I said lets go for a ride, and John was more then happy to, even offering us life jackets(which ive hardly worn to be honest).When we were running next to the STV I remember looking at the speedo reading 94mph and climbing fast,and thats the same time I watched the STV almost get in some serious trouble when it hit some rollers.The funny part is we were in the same rollers, becouse we were gaining on him.(Johns claims a lil luck here but im thinking there may been a bit of driving skill involved):smileAt the time I didnt have any clue that I was riding in one of the fastest ALLYS around, I just knew that it went through the rollers a hell of alot better then my checkmate would have ever tried to.So all in all ,John im not sure whether the fiance will love ya this year for getting us on the right track as far as fast boats go or will hate you for costing us a bunch of money:laughing. IM guessing since shes become quite addicted to speed your gonna be ok.I just wish the rollers werent there and we could of run a bit further. Hmm maybe this year there will be 2 AlLLYS vs 1 STV.Look out John this family cruiser may be comeing for ya.LOL Aaron

Last edited:

LLT-XTB

Probationary User
Mike
My first Allison experience came when a work buddy of mine invited me to fish with him one day. Met him at the launch and liked the look of his XTB-21.
Once we got on the water I discovered that looks wasn't all it had. My last true BB was a Challenger/125Merc that would do about 60-62 with only me. USCG, college, kids in between but his XTB with an old 150 Johnson would hole shot and top end like nothing I had ever been in. The dream was born.
Wouldn't you know he ran into an 88 XTB hull and trailer that I wound up with. Boat was rough, but several months, several $$, and a complete restoration later I am waiting for spring with a like new XTB/200 Merc that I have yet to drive but I can hardly wait!!!! He has since swapped engines to a 175 Merc and says the difference is phenomenal so I am eager to get on the water.....

xb03fs

My first experience was the day I picked it up. wetsanding has made me learn it even better. Still no motor and still have never rode in one. Probably why I am so obsessed with the webiste.

Learned about them on Bassboatcentral, then screamandfly and then found this webite and a little more on fastbass.

Never even seen one run except on youtube. Met a few owners here in St Louis and cant wait for spring, although I still have a lot of work ahead of me

Well let me think about this. I know for a fact that this wasn't my first experience with an Allison because Dad told me so, this is just the first one I remember......Had to have been about 1988 or 89 my dad (LAAllison) Had a Baja bow-rider with a 200 merc on the back of it. One of Dad's boating buddies referred us to this ORNERY ol' outboard mechanic up in satsuma, AL. I remember getting out of the truck, walking up to the shop and seeing the most beautiful solid red boat (turned out to be an xr-2002) I had no idea at the time. Needless to say i was enamored with that boat. Not long after that Dad rebuilt/restored our old GT-20. Not too terribly long after that(think around 97 or 98) Dad bought a very, very clean Grandsport with a 225 super mag on it. I have no idea how many hours we put on that boat and motor, but I guarantee you it was well over 1000. I think aaronmt has the ol' girl these days. I fell in love with that boat and have since owned 2 Grandsports-1 with a 225pm and the other with a 280, Now I have an all orange SS with a JSRE built 225PM on it. Dad and I did a lot of riding together in our GS's. It's really a lot of fun when two of them ride in together. Seems like people never stop looking. I have only ever owned four boats in my youngish life: 18'Hydrostream(Viking), 2 Grandsports, and now an SS, Still haven't found the right XR-2002 to fulfill my childhood dream, but I sure have had a TON of fun learning from Dad about boats and most of all for the time it allowed he and I to spend together. Off and running with Allison's and I will never look back. Great boats, had a lot of good times that bring a lot of great stories.

Last edited:

champ198

My first Allison experience was when I saw Rob Shaw's new XB21. I had never seen an Allison up close. After being around the mainstream boats for years, the styling, sleek look, functionality, and engineering was light years ahead of everyone else.

Some months later, I was fishing a tournament and while no other boat on the water could run in the rough conditions, I saw an XB21 in the distance running through waves that my Stratos 201 just couldn't run through. I somewhat went off the deep end after that. Seeing is believing.

A few weeks later, I took Lance's BasSport Pro to the lake for a test drive (before Lance owned it) and although I couldn't drive it at first, I knew it would be easier to drive once I unlearned to saw back and forth on the steering wheel.

Allison. . .knowing you own the best.

bigtis

I had seen xr2002's and xb2002's when I was a kid, and I knew I'd own on oneday. I grew up in a 20ft. sleekcraft with a 2.4 200, and I just knew it was the baddest thing on the water, "simply cause of the roostertail."

I bought a used procraft 18ft. fish and ski when I was 19. I had wanted an Allison then, but didn't know about the websites and never even knew of one close to me. about 3 months after I bought the procraft, I found SnF!!! I paid 15K for my procraft with a 2001 200 EFI. Boy could I have kicked myself in the face for paying that much. I seen Ally's with 280's for that much and it made me sick to my stomach. my procraft had killswith issues. it had shut off twice on it's own already, and I had a hydraulic jackplate. I was cruizing with some freinds, and the mota killed at WOT!!! It slowly hooked to the left, but was pointing me towards a parked pushboat. Instead of steering away and hitting the boarge sideways, I turned into the hook and tried to put the boat onto the bank. I managed to get away from the tug, but run along side a dock extending about 10ft. into the water, it tore up the starboard side of the boat pretty good. I had insurance, and was able to come out smelling like a rose at this point. I sold the mota, and used the claim money to pay off the loan. I got the boat fixed and was able to buy my 280 I have now. save up a little more, and drove to Texas to pick up my first Ally. a 1990 tournament xb2002. I had to drive my procraft, but once I got into the Ally it was a completely new learning curve.

I am now an Allison man for LIFE!!!!!

suicidealli

the first time i seen a allison it was a xr2002... i had my beefed up 2.4 175 on a 17 noris craft bass boat. i could run all day @ 83.. anyway this guy pulls in with this ally. i heard of them, but never saw one in person.. it was 1993 or so... i said is that a bridgeport on there.. he didn't ike that at all...... said no it is a 2.5 260. said it wasn't running right, it would only turn 7500 rpm's, and just touching a 100 mph... i thought this guy is full of chit!!!!!!!!!!!! well i seen him leave the boat ramp, and i was behind him... i figured i would see how fast he was really running... well we cruised togehter for awhile, then he dropped the hammer!!!!!!!!!! i couldn't belive my eyes.. he left me like i was sitting still...
i told my buddy i had to get an allison... we came out of the water and he was sitting at the ramp waiting for his buddy that had a xtb... i asked what is the difference.. he said it was a bass boat with a bridgeport on it.. said it would run a 104 mph, and spin 8500 rpm's... i was really impressed... i was turnng 6500 with my little 175. my hull weighed about 950 lb.. anyway i started looking for a allison about 5 years later. after i figured i could afford a newer boat.. my cousin heard me talking about allisons.... well he was at a car auction, and called me said he just bought a allison boat did i want it?? i asked what model is it.. said he didn't know. i asked is it a bass boat? he said he thought it was. i asked what color, and he said yellow and black... i left work to meet him at the auction... well it was a ss2000... i told him i wanted a bass boat, not a family mans race boat......lol he gave to me for what he paid for it, so i bought it anyway... started fishing out of my pontoon... the allison didn't have a motor just a jackplate. i bought a fresh bridgeport and hunk it on my bassboat to break it in and get any bugs out of it before switching it over to the ally... scared the hell out of me on the bass boat.. it was a semi tri hull and i ran chopper props.. so the bow flew really high and ran great in the low 80's.. well with the extra power it felt like it was going to blow over. i ran i to 85 and that was it...... so i put the whole motor on the ss, and rigged it.... took it for a ride.. i'm running about 25 mph and i heard this noise... i slowed down and it went away.. got on a plane it came back.. i could hear the water running aganst the side of the hull...lol i said this thing is thin...... so i ran it up to about 35 everything was great. so i hammered it it lasted about about 3 seconds, and i was washing the sides... i sad there is something wrong with this boat... i called the guy who i bought the motor from he had a allison bass boat, and lived about 100 miles from me.. he said you have to learn how to drive... i told him i could drive a boat there was someting else wrong.. he told me to make sure there was no play in the steering... i took the little play out of the steering, and it helped, but i couldnt run faster than about 60 it would start to rock back and fourth.... he told me about scream and fly, so i joined that asking for help.. everyone saud go slow take it easy, well after a couple of months of taking it easy i had enough... i put my jacket on and was not going to let out of it til i had to.. after a few hours i got it up into the 80's, then it would get crazy... learned more about setting the motor height.. it took about 3 months before i could really drive it consistant on the pad... i tore off the large allsion decal on the side of the boat... when i dropped for a 32 chopper to a 26 it made a world of difference.... my first opinon of my first ride was these boat are a piece of chit....... now i think a little different....... i sure wish i started off with a smaller prop to begin with......lol

roy

jay j

first allison i ever saw was in 1992 a gs with an xr-6, friend bought brand new, would run around 78-80 i had a 17 ft cajun with a warmed over 2.4 and we ran pretty close, he did have more top end, so in 95 i bought a tria v21 put the same motor on it and my friend put a 200 pro max on his gs, almost identical top end 89-90. a few years go by and i by a new stv wreck it and decide i want to go fishing. so my friend had the same idea and we both went to boat show in mobile, al. phillip bond had a brand new 1999 xb2002cp at the show.
we both decided that is what we wanted and i would buy the one on the floor and he would order a new one, same color and all. darris built the boat in 4 weeks, i shipped my promax 200ss to him and my friend bought a 225promaxss and had him rig both. loaded up on a saturday morning early drove and got them and started getiing ready for the next day,
about 5hour ride one way. next day we headed to lake eufaula my friend went a little earlier, to break them in. upon unloading mine i grabbed the front to pull it around on the beach and noticed this cork like bobbing of the nose, and me thinking this is gonna be an a$$ buster. later on a few hours later a guy in a stroker/260 combo pulled up with his son and wanted to race. i said get to about 30 and hit it, none the less i pulled him pretty good,
but ended a few years later wanting a grandsport and actually bought the original back from the guy that had bought the one from friend. since then ihave had 2 more gs and an xr2002- "when you buy an allison you know what you have" end of story jay

chinewalk

I used to fish tournaments back in the 70's and used the shotgun starts for an excuse to run somebody. I had a Merc 1500 on a Ranger and I usually beat everyone to the whole (none of them had 1500s).

I was sitting at a marina one day and this fellow came in with an Allisoncraft with a 1500xs on it and he parked by my rig. I was curious as I had heard of Allisons but never seen one and got to talking with the fellow. I offered him a beer for a ride and he said to get in. I strapped on a vest and we idled out away from from the dock.

Once we were away from the dock, the fellow leans over and says to "hang on" and nails it. Well, my Ranger didn't do the "stand up and get it hole shot" like this thing did and I knew it was going to be a fun ride! It was, until the bow came down and hit the water. The hub spun out of the prop and left us sitting in the middle of the lake! So, we were pulled in by some of his drag boat buddies and I held his boat off the bank for about two hours while he went and got his truck/trailer from the south end of the lake. I drank all of HIS beer waiting. That was in 1974 and I said that day, because of that one hole shot that I would have one of these boats.

After many boats and motors later, I bought the 1995 XB2002 CP new I have now in May of 1995 and it's first time in the water was Memorial weekend that year. It had a Promax 225 on it then that I finally swapped out for a 1996 2.5 OS. We have survived many bat turns and one divorce together. I'll gladly (somewhat) take more of the bat turns, but don't want anything to do with another divorce! I came close to losing my boat!

bigtis

We have survived many bat turns and one divorce together. I'll gladly (somewhat) take more of the bat turns, but don't want anything to do with another divorce! I came close to losing my boat!
GREAT minds think alike:beer::beer:

markminden2

First Allison Experience with Mike Sufka

I had never been in one or had seen an Allison live in the water, only drooled over them at boatshows. Decided based on all that I had read that I needed one bad. Previously owned or had been in all of the following: hydrostreams, checkmates, chargers etc. Drove 1000 miles to meet up with Mike Sufka who started this thread and drove his Grandsport in cold spring conditions while hungover at 45mph and fell in love with them. Took the summer to take the training wheels off and now run at 86MPH in my gransport with a Yamaha ProV200.

Love it and glad to be part of the Allison Clan

Mark

mikesufka

Re: First Allison Experience with Mike Sufka

I had never been in one or had seen an Allison live in the water, only drooled over them at boatshows. Decided based on all that I had read that I needed one bad. Previously owned or had been in all of the following: hydrostreams, checkmates, chargers etc. Drove 1000 miles to meet up with Mike Sufka who started this thread and drove his Grandsport in cold spring conditions while hungover at 45mph and fell in love with them. Took the summer to take the training wheels off and now run at 86MPH in my gransport with a Yamaha ProV200.

Love it and glad to be part of the Allison Clan

Mark

Mark -

I am SO glad you own my old boat. We had one hell of a weekend, didn't we? I get hungover just thinking about it.

Mike

xb2003

I grew up with the speed bug. Raced four wheelers..Banshee's on flat track and 250r's on moto cross. I liked to go fast. Started fishing tournaments around 2000 and cut my teeth tournament fishing out of a buddies 96 20cc with a 225 promax on it. It was fast...you had to have a 280 on another Bullet to pass us. I had a 18' Blazer/150 Vmax at the time as was too slow to fish tournies. It was either Bullet or Blazers around here. We had one guy that fished our series out of a 03/promax ss. We referred to him as the Damn Allison. He gave us hell every blast off...We couldn't touch him. I knew the guy a little bit and every time we talked I was more interested in the boat than fishing. I loved watching it run...I never got to see it from the front for very long but I came familiar with it's rooster tail.

I was up on the river in my Blazer prefishing when low and behold that Damn Allison passed by. Gave the usual "hey how are you" wave and kept on fishing. Running back to the launch we were picking up at the same time. I didn't even have to ask to go for a ride. He said "you always asking about my boat so lets take it for a spin". I remember the ride like it was yesterday. The smoothness, the hole shot, and him telling me we were doing 90 but heck, it only felt like 70. I didn't have no wind beating my face and he still had his ball cap on. Well, after it was all over I knew I had to get one of these Damn Allisons or I would be happy again in another boat. Sold the Blazer and the rest is history. Ive had 3 of these damn 03's. I might consider a 02 if the color was right but theres not another boat out there I really care to own. You could give me a Ranger or Gambler but I'd sell it for a down payment on a new Allison. hehe

Last edited: