XB 2002 - 106 w/200 Promax?

msharp

Many of you have probably seen the debate on S&F about if an XB2002 can go 106 with a 200 Promax and a coned XR gearcase.
Originally Posted by bigtis
we went 106 today with Oran's xb02 and a stock never apart untouched 94 200 supermag.

SURE didn't come with that coned XR gearcase. even with that, NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAYBE when the gearcase was changed, so was the COWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LMAO:

ziemer

...so was the COWL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LMAO:
That cowl was probably the only thing that was stock...somebody forgot to tell Tis that under tha 200 Super Mag cowl was actually a 260...:gasp :beer: :beer:

baitcaster

I know I am late to the party and may eat my words, but I can't see it happening - not as described. That stock 200 may see low/mid 90s, but I can't see 106 :rolling eyes. Additionally, he said we - were there two people in the boat???? I don't think so. Sorry he caught a bunch of sh%%$ on S/F, but I am also a doubting Thomas on this one and would have to see the numbers.

I will tell you a little story from the last Concordia gathering this past fall, I punched the boat coming around the turn with my wife in the boat and the GPS must have lost connection or something and spun sum numbers in the mid range or something - anyway I prob. ran it up to 92/94 w/my wife sitting next to me in the boat, but when I got back to the landing the top speed indicator on my XOG GPS read 114. I promise you I didn't run 114, all of us at the landing got a good laugh - I had the fastest 03 in existance and I told Kurt I was calling his slow a$$ Stroker out :laughing. My point is that even a GPS can malfunction from time to time under the right/wrong conditions. I did not run 114 - I know that 200 on a XB02 did not run 106! :don't_care

Last edited:

BigRedAlli

I agree on the GPS glitches. Last year at the fastpass rally, we nailed it on the way to the beach. When we got their I picked up the garmin and it showed a max speed of over 200mph. (can't remember the exact mph)
At the same time, John's in dash gps freeked out and broke the needle off. :confused

GPS ain't perfect.

allison8503

well I say it can be done. I mean from what I understand the boat is a light boat say high 7's to 800 lbs. Now just for conversation my 1400 lb. prostock drag boat has ran 104 in the 1/4. Now say the boat they are running is 800lb. the motor is 400lb. Tis is prolly 150lb. dripping wet. and the boat was light rigged say 200lb. of rigging and fuel thats only 1550lbs. They are runnng a small gear case that has been proven to be 3 to 5 mph faster than even a 200 coned case. Me an Tis. have talked about running big numbers alot and what has worked and what hasnt. We talk about moving the motor up 1/16 at a time. Playing with set back with 1/4 inch spacers at a time. Anybody that has done any kind of heads up racing with there boat that has tryed to sqeeze out every last once of performance out of there boat will understand. If you take prop "A" and run it at the same height and set back as prop "B" and "A" ran 2 mph slower that doesnt mean it want be faster 1/16 lower and 1/4 farther back. You just have to take what the boat is telling you it wants with that prop. So prop "A" isnt slower untill you have tried everything. IMO if you dont have a couple thousand hours of thought and work into setting up your particular boat "because every boat runs different" you still have alot on the table. Oh yea while im on my soap box its not going to be safe. When you push it to the limit its not safe.

1badss

Banned
I believe the boat in question is my old yeller 90 xb02 comp . I ran 91 and change with a Mag ll 150 on it years ago. Thats GPS speed not speedo. The bottom has been blue printed by Allison since then. For some reason this boat just plain runs. I can believe it.

chad202

I don't know for sure, but it's seems most run around even with the pad. I would think Randy is above, more than 1/4". Don't know that for sure either though.

Larry D

At the 2.5 shoot out in Fl. Jeff Tyner went 110 with his XR2002 with a stock carb 200 merc on it. i don't think the boat is a real light one. but it did have one of the best ally drivers in he country running it. later Larry D

Casey G

That stock 200 may see low/mid 90s, but I can't see 106
I’m not about to get into he did or didn’t run the speed. Scared of speed and testing is something he’s not afraid of so if it’s possible I’m sure he can do it. I will say my XB02 with a Super Stock 2.5 200 (stock long block w/ carbs) ran mid 90’s with a 26p et, 1.87 sportmaster, lots of gas and a boat load of crap. Heck that same motor with a light load would turn 8500 in the 1/8 with a 22p. I’ll take a perfect set-up and less hp over a poor set-up and bigger hp any day.

So is a good set-up, taller prop, less weight and a small case worth 10mph? Doesn't seem out of reach to me.

ziemer

At the 2.5 shoot out in Fl. Jeff Tyner went 110 with his XR2002 with a stock carb 200 merc on it. i don't think the boat is a real light one. but it did have one of the best ally drivers in he country running it. later Larry D
It's light. :cool

jeff tyner

just got in from the lake went to try a 32 e.t. that leading edge propeller has been working for me. he cut a little of the trailing edge off of it. its his on cut he came up with he calls it his drag cut it really makes a big difference on aceleration on the big pitch wheels.anyway 1.87 sportmaster and this prop with the same 200 carb motor it went 112.2 from a 110.5 that was at7200 best a could keep my eye on the tach. this little motor sure is fun to play with. thanks tim[gambler2] for being out there for a spoter. ihave a 200 efi i'm going to be playing with a little later on .jeff

Larry D

just got in from the lake went to try a 32 e.t. that leading edge propeller has been working for me. he cut a little of the trailing edge off of it. its his on cut he came up with he calls it his drag cut it really makes a big difference on aceleration on the big pitch wheels.anyway 1.87 sportmaster and this prop with the same 200 carb motor it went 112.2 from a 110.5 that was at7200 best a could keep my eye on the tach. this little motor sure is fun to play with. thanks tim[gambler2] for being out there for a spoter. ihave a 200 efi i'm going to be playing with a little later on .jeff
Jeff, my xr2002 weighed about 575. is your a lot lighter. wish i could put my prostock powerhead on it just to see how fast shed run. later Larry D

patches

Larry my XR is a 540 lb hull. Should come in around 1250-1270 with a 200 lb driver. You can put your powerhead on mine and I'll even let you drive it

jeff tyner

Jeff, my xr2002 weighed about 575. is your a lot lighter. wish i could put my prostock powerhead on it just to see how fast shed run. later Larry D
larry in drag race trim hanging on the scales it was 1271 with me in it at 195 thats with lite batts and no back seat in lake trim its around 1320 and thats with hydralic steering. its a great little boat i can put the family in it and take a ride our do a little drag racing. best of both worlds.jeff