260/RPM's

ziemer

How many RPM's will your stock uncut 260 turn on your XB 2003 with a 24 pitch chopper?
Probably as much as you want. :wink Depends on how long you want to keep your foot in it. I would turn a 22 yamaha in the mid 9's thru a 1/4. Stock, uncut 260, w/ 150 psi, a spacer, and a A-6 box.

bigtis

How many RPM's will your stock uncut 260 turn on your XB 2003 with a 24 pitch chopper?
Why and what are you asking this for?

I would say on 1.87's you could prolly get the boat setup to turn whatever it'll turn with a 24. if it'll turn 9800-low 10's with a really small wheel, it should make that stretched with a 2/1 for sure, and maybe a 1.87 depending on setup and slip.

BigRedAlli

I think the reason K-Dawg is asking is because he's having trouble getting his motor to turn more than 7400rpm.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Yep, cant get mine to turn up. It is very possible that its something I did or didnt do right when I put the powerhaed on. It was my first powerhead swap. The motor runs to good for it to be some sort of major mechanical problem. Runs great up until that point. I guess I should make a rally and have someone willing to look it over for me. In the middle of building a house right now so I dont have alot of time to mess with it. COme next spring/summer I am gonna jump on it and get it right. Just try'in to make sure that it will turn more by asking people with alike setups how much theres will turn. Wondering if this is a common problem and if there was an easy fix. Thats all. I jhave been reading as much as possible on SCream and Fly using the search function and it looks like it a common problem not many people figure out. I have actually be contemplating trading it for a 225. Thinking it would be less of a hassel and easier maintenance.

Last edited:

suicidealli

to get these things to turn up you have to have excellent electronics..............
replace the switch box's, stator with the hipo ones.... they are tested at hi rpm's... the standard ones only have to test to like 6500 rpm's..... they will pass the test on a tester... sometimes the stock ones act goofey when u spin them up... leak down test will show how much wear... check your timing at WOT. a tired 260 will turn 8000 with a 24p on a 2003 pretty easy... JMO

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The motor is fresh rebuild with top pinned pistons. It might have 10 hours on it. 6 or 7 tanks of gas thru it.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
to get these things to turn up you have to have excellent electronics..............
replace the switch box's, stator with the hipo ones.... they are tested at hi rpm's... the standard ones only have to test to like 6500 rpm's..... they will pass the test on a tester... sometimes the stock ones act goofey when u spin them up... leak down test will show how much wear... check your timing at WOT. a tired 260 will turn 8000 with a 24p on a 2003 pretty easy... JMO

I aint even sure if I have the right harress for the ECU. It came with a non digital. I bought a A-48 to put on it. I called Jay Smith and asked him how to make sure I have the right ecu plug and by what I described to him, he seemed to think I have correct one. I have a trim relay that needs to be replace it works intermitenly. Wonder if could be causing a power short. I have a relay between the fuel pump and the battery/key switch. Thinking I could possible have something there wired wrong. I am just a little bit overwhelmed with alot of questions. I was expecting to bolt it on plug it in and go like hell and that is not the case.

Myron

A bad coil will do what you are saying, take the rubber cover off the back and see if it is all broke in there, I chased this for a while till I finally fiqured it out

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I have a carbed 200 that I know the electronics are good on. Maybe I should swap everything and see what happens?

FFWD

Randy, I know I'm not real close, but if you don't get it figured out drag it up here and we'll get it straight and do some fishin here on Lake Murray.

BP1

Probably electrical if it's the same rpm regardless of prop.
Sparkplugs the correct ones and new?
Check your battery, grounds and make sure you don't have excessive voltage drop anywhere.
After checking the basics, I'd swap components with the carb motor as needed.

Did the motor turn up OK in it's previous application?

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Thanks Brian. If it continues to whip me I will for sure be coming to see ya. Once I get the house built I'll have some time to turn some wrenchs on it. Hopefully I''l find the culprit. Thanks

BP1, It hasnt been on any other boat since being rebuilt.

BP1

For what it's worth and just as Myron pointed out.
I had a coil dropping on the top end (idled fine), and losing that 1 cylinder was good for a several hundred rpm loss.

Last edited:

suicidealli

may sound like a long shot, but make sure the injectors are pluged in properly... you could be getting one not firing.... i had a freind that one wasn't connected well. spun 7500 on 5 cyl.. got it figured out spun 9800...lol it was a worked jsre 260..

roy

chad202

Mine did the same and come to find out the exhaust chest was just like a promax. Opened it up and all is good.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, I took a hour this afternoon to look over the motor. I fixed the tilt/trim short. I didnt bolt the ground wires coming from the relays down anywhere so I bolt them to the bottom of the starter with a few other grounds that were already there. Now the trim works all The time...lol Pulled the injectors rail off with the injectors attached and turned over the motor. Injectors looked to be firing evenly and in a fine mist. Next I looked over ever wire to make sure they were tight. Found a small loose one on the starter solenoid. It wasnt flopping loose but, you could move it with your fingers. then I started puling the coils looking for something. Not sure what but, figured I would pull the one at a time and look them over. Cylinder Number 3's magnet was cracked down one side and a small piece chipped off the other side. Gonna pull a coil off the 200 and replace the cracked one. Maybe thats the problem.

Heres a pic of it.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

Yea-baby.
Grounds and that magnet are very good reasons for a lack O power. I'm not a Merc guy butt, make sure the coils are exactly the same other wise you could be fixing a known problem with a part that isn't capable of high RPM in it'self.
There are times you should use seperate grounding points. A ground point for a high current consumer (starter/trim/etc) and a ground for a sensor for a computer should not be shared. Just a slight resistance in the ground path could back feed into the computer and then to ground. Expensive smoke released!