260/RPM's

Myron

more than likely that is the problem, I quess when that happens they short thru there

Casey G

if i was you i'd replace all of them since they have not made blue coils since the early 90's. their getting pretty old

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Well, I went over all the electrical connections on the motor this morning along with the other stuff previously mentioned and it didnt change anything. Runs hard up to 7000 then layes down. Starting to think thats just all it will turn...............

Last edited:

Myron

when you are wide open if back off the throttle just a tad will the motor pick up speed? Also do you someone that would let you run there ECU

hack02

Check your temp sensor. If its bad it will make it go rich and it won't turn up. As was said, one of the best things is to try a different ecu box.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I ran Daltons A-48 ECU and it was the same thing. Layed down at 7k. Mike Tyler (Corona Mike) asked me to get her wide open then let off the peddle slightly and see if it stayed the same or did the rpms and speed slow down. I tried it and if I let off the gas the rpms go down and the speed goes down. No dead peddle.

BigRedAlli

when you are wide open if back off the throttle just a tad will the motor pick up speed?
OK now ya got me courious. What does this indicate? Only thing I can think of is over travel of the throttle plate. Am I right? :confused

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
you sure you have max timing?......fuel system ok?...filters?
No, I am not sure all that is OK. I have a relay running the fuel pump. I took power from the purple wire in the loom for a key on switch. Then, a power wire directly from the battery for power for the fuel pump. I have the fuel Bosch pump I bought from Brucatos mounted as low as I can get it next to the fuel tank. I am now running a fuel filter before the pump because trash got into my first one and locked it up. I am running the same filter both bought from Brucatos after the fuel pump also. I picked up 400 rpm when I went to a new fuel pump. I dont know how to check the timing. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

chad202

Marty, if you back off the throttle a tic and gain speed, it normally means you're lean.

Casey G

have you tried a different prop? I’ve had props with way to much cup in them and they just won’t turn any rpm’s.

suicidealli

jst a thought.
do you run a fuel press gauge????? if you picked up 400 rpms with a new fuel pump, i would say you had to be running lean before..... you may have hurt the rings... do a comp test, if it checks out try a leak down test. wore rings could make it run lame. it doesn't take long to hurt them when you are running lean.

i agree also with casey. a prop can help you, or killl you.

roy

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
I have ran a stock 24 chopper 7400, 26 ET 7300 and a 28 drag 4 copy 7400. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge. Compression is 150 psi plus or minus 2# per cylinder. I looked into a fuel pressure gauge but, was torn between a manual and electric. I have been told the maual should be mounted on the motor. Then, I cant see it at WOT. I have also read that the isolator that is used to mount a mechanical in the dash is very hard to get to work right, and that an electric is not accurate. So, I dont know what to buy. Thats the reason I dont have a fuel pressure gauge, dont know what to believe.

Last edited:

chad202

I have a guage on the motor and an electric one on the dash. The electric one is off but does repeat so it can help you dial in the problem if there is one. I think your problem is in the back end. Exhaust chest on down. Sounds like the motor is peaking cause it isn't getting rid of the air. If I remember right, mercury did lots of experimenting with the 260 in the exhaust area. Some of them had more meat in the chest than others. The runs with more meat, didn't spin the rpms. They would pull just about any prop to 7000ish. Mine did the same until I cut the chest.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
The block is stamped something like 8-14-92. Not sure about the day but, the month and year are right. Was told it was a 1993 block. I asume this is just like a car anything made after the july could be the next year model.