300xs on a Grand Sport Darris said NO!

micker54

How much would the new 150 V-Max set you back once they have done their magic??

Yellowallison

Just had a conversation about puttin 12" V8 on one my XB2002's...twin brutha PIPE motor to this one except a 12" instead of 6"!!

Sho you boyzz not only can you run a 3.0L on a ALLISON you can run a 450 horzz 4.0L! :gasp

Yeallr house remodelin is almost done!! At that time Yeallr gunna get creative again with either a 15"3.0L or 12" 4.0L on my XB2002:relax:

Yo LULU????? YU gunna sign up to ride with Yeallr or am I gunna have to get ya dog cuz yu scared!!
:LMAO:

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

YA,

Are you for real? Or just talkin chit? If it works that will be the MOTHER of all XB2002's!

Don't just talk about it.... DO IT!!!!! then have Shook come show you how to drive it LOL (J/K) I ain't got NO room to talk LMAO

Yellowallison

YA,Are you for real? Or just talkin chit? If it works that will be the MOTHER of all XB2002's! Don't just talk about it.... DO IT!!!!! then have Shook come show you how to drive it LOL (J/K) I ain't got NO room to talk LMAO
VMAX...... yu knwo me and all my ALLY projects!!!

I aint talkin chit at all......this yr I've spenta bunch of $$ and time on my remodeling my house. but I';ve also been rounding up boats and motors....for my next project!!

For yrs Jack and I have wanted to stick a v8 on one of my ALLISON! He's got a retired race motor with PIPES sittin on the floor along with a 12" can...and we got adapters for my merc gearcases!

We think it be some cool CHIT to watch a ALLY leave the water at launch and bouce up on the pad and listen to the BIG8 push the Ally down the lake..

NO..not talkin SMACK talkin at all!! we decided we got all the stuff we need.... just need to finish up a few things on the home front!

Basically right after the first of the yr I'm gunna have another (LOOKA THERE) ALLY project boat on ther water like my Capsule Project boat was !!!

:razz:razz:razz

Last edited:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
YA DARRIS says YU can be in charge of all 3 liter 20 ft Allison merc projects and litigation agency...sign here:

::beating dead horse

Yellowallison

LULU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gunna bring a 3.0L or 4.0L XB2002 to the rally and take our DADDY DARRIS for ride in it!! :beer:

Folks said you couldn't make a 2003 run over 100 with no hands on the wheel!!!!

But... yu seen the video of me at the rally a few yrs ago runnin 103 with my hands up in the air as I went by the photo boat!

Hey!!! last time you drove one of my boats it cost ya 100,000$$ ..jus wait till yu drive my next one :big grin:big grin:big grin

p.s bring a blank check and ...sign here:

Darth VMAX

YA, that will be a site for sure! A V8 on a XB2002

micker I would say all said and done about 11,500.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hey!!! last time you drove one of my boats it cost ya 100,000$$ ..jus wait till yu drive my next one
Scotty you cannot take the credit for me being an idiot, I was one long before I ran into you and your "surprise 24V trim" floor button!!:idiot

Oh yeah bring the DOGGG if he survives maybe you can get a human to ride with ya:LMAO:

ziemer

Yellowallison said:
I aint talkin chit at all......
I have never known this to be the case with you there Yellar. :beer::beer:

Yellowallison said:
We think it be some cool CHIT to watch a ALLY leave the water at launch and bouce up on the pad and listen to the BIG8 push the Ally down the lake..
Cool as chit maybe, but you're gonna piss off a lot of them fast Triton driving fisherman at 6:00 am with that twin piped monster V8.:big grin :big grin

whipper

Ive been gone for a couple of weeks and cant believe this thread is still hear. Good info though I must say. I believe Darris just states what is optimal for efficiency thats it. The 3Lt isnt as optimal as a 150 or a 175 2.5 on a GS. Cable steering saves wieght makeing that more optimal and keeps costs down also. I also belive the 2 stroke will live on and the verodos and 3lt will also get way lighter in the near future. I also realy dont see anything wrong with the 300pm or X on a GS. The guy I talked to that had one on his said it was great. The 3 lt motor setup has been experimented by Bill so whats the problem? We know now were that motors setback works so if you order one just set it up like Bills. The argument about fulcrum points and bow behavure during emergancy shuts and stuff is all oporater related. If you spend time learning and practicing these techneques you will know what to do. I think that if you buy a Allison you accept the responsability of owning an utlra performance boat and if you choose a power that is not recomended then your on you own liability wise. Its like any thing a drag car with 2000hp and crashes or a 300 on a Euro flips. It happens. a 300 on a GS sound like fun to me but the more power you put on anything the more carful you have to be. The more wieght you but out back the optimum design for the boat to perform as origanly designed gets altered. Thats OK if you arnt expecting the GS to performe a bat turn. Straight line running would be a gass!! Cornering may be trickyer but im sure the compromise to some may be worth it? Just my two cents. You could sure get big air poping wheelies though!:laughing James

Lightning

Not sure if it because of this thread or not but this is now on the web page for the GS.

The use of an overweight engine on the Allison XS-2003 GrandSport could swamp the boat and/or cause severe handling problems at high speeds resulting in an accident with injury or death. DO NOT INSTALL an engine of 3-liters and up, nor any engine weighing more than 440 pounds, regardless of its horsepower. Allison Boats will absolutely NOT be responsible nor support any such activity in any way.

Darth VMAX

I wonder where they got 440 lbs?

That pretty much eliminates the 200xs, 2.5xs and 2.6L 150-200 HPDI's after rigging, jackplates, prop etc. And right above the warning shows a GS with a 450+ lb OMC on it????

Last edited:

chad202

Is the major concern the added weight in the rear or HOW HIGH THE WEIGHT IS IN THE REAR????? A 2.5 powerhead is what % of the total weight of the motor???? A 3.0 powerhead is what % of the motor????? I really don't know but if there is more weight higher above the boat, that would add to the roll over affect.

Lightning

Mine has the 2.5XS on it and it drives great with 2 or more people in it. I've had it all summer and nothing squirrley has ever happened.

DOUBLE J

Why put a 300xs on it when in 08, merc's coming out with a 350xs on the 3.2 litre motor. Oh yeah!!!!!!!

whipper

Lightning thats interesting what is written on the Allsion sight looks like another call to Darris:smile. It must be a case of CYA. Ive had my GSE loaded to the nuts and full fuel and cant emagine there being that big of differance 50 or 60 lbs would make at the transom not loaded. However I lost two of my floatation balls last week in some nasty water and did notice a big differance with out them. Inflated the two I had left to the max and ahhh much better. if you havent tried this I highly recomend it.:big grin

Lightning

I'm not sure what you're talking about on the flotation balls????? but if you lost two and still had two left to inflate, my hats off to you. Must be something in the water up there!! Can't see where that would help the handling of the GS though.

mikesufka

The same "3.0 liter warning" is also on the Allison Website under the SS2000 and XB2002 and XB2003 boats. For the SS2000, the maximum motor weight is listed at 390 pounds. The other ones are all listed as a 440 pound max engine weight.

I guess we know how strongly Darris feels about the 3.0 liter motors. I really wish he would log on here and talk about different subjects.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Allison Grandsport/200 ProV Yamaha
Spectre 30/Twin 300 Mercs

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Is the major concern the added weight in the rear or HOW HIGH THE WEIGHT IS IN THE REAR?????
Both!! And moving the weight in, yes, the lip would need to be reduced.

But the bottom line here is that these boats (with you inside them) can find themselves in MANY different dynamic situations. Over the past 30+ years, Darris, Paul, Glenn, and others have experimented AND unintentionally encountered these situations and dynamics and based on that experience, the recommendation is made. It's not just "you can't hang a 3 liter because of XYZ", it's because of XYZ in combination with 3.2 + RPw = disaster.

Think about this, seriously: If YOU owned the boat company, and it was YOUR a$$ hung out there by making a recommendation that you KNEW could cause a significant safety or handling concern, what would YOUR lawyer tell you to say, and not say?

To me, the argument should NOT be with the boat builder. It would be with 1) the freaking EPA that targeted outboards and now we have larger blocks, burning more fuel, hmm who does that benefit? and 2) The motor manufacturers! Why doesn't some entrepreneurial builder seize the day and build a lightweight motor with some power and some spin? I posted a thread on S&F once called, "Thousands of boats to re-power.." and made the same point!! banghead