A-owners Lake Fork fishing trip???

RedAllison

ATTENTION fishermen of "da family":

Guys I used to go to Lake Fork every spring and spend a few days yankin 4-6#ers over the side of the boat all day long. I haven't been now in a few years and I'd like to go back. I'd REALLY like to get up a trip for a couple days fishing among "da family". Just those of us regulars here on the A-owners site.

In all honesty the true PIGS (teenfish) are caught in Jan and Feb but I can tell ya, the weather is still VERY unpredictable down there during that time of year. Early March is good as well, but again you can get into trouble with the weather and when the wind blows on Fork you DON'T want to be on it unless you are VERY familiar with it. (Driving on whitecaps through a submerged hardwood forest can be DANGEROUS for obvious reasons!)

I'd suggest going sometime during the last week of March or the first half of April. That period of time has fish allover the lake on several patterns. Some have already spawned (especially the BIGGGGGEST fish) some are ON the beds and some are pre-spawn. The weather is typically nice and more favorable.

When I used to go I stayed at the Mustang Resort. It's no Trump Towers but for a "fish camp" its decent. (They were the first place on Fork in fact.) But I'm not married to them, there are lots of places around the lake and I'm open for any suggestions!!!

What do you guys think, is this something anyone would be interested in getting the wheels rolling on? I think if we made plans, set dates and booked rooms by the end of fall we would probably have our pick of any places. After that time stuff starts booking up quick, "prime time" for that area is Feb-April so guides and rooms start booking up quick after New Years.

If you've never been on Fork a guide for 1 day or at least 1/2 day can really be enjoyable and educating. Most are $350 a full day (1-2 fishermen) and some guides allow "chase boats" (others can follow along in their own boat) for an extra $100-$150 a day. That's something that 4 guys could pool up together on and come out days ahead in their "scouting/pre-fishing".

The lake has a big slot limit (16"-24" must be returned immediately so that's why the lake is busting full of 3-7# fish!) and makes it PERFECT for holding a "paper tournament". If you've never fished a paper tournament, everyone measures their fish and uses established weights posted for those fish. It's alot of fun and allows for fun tournaments on hot lakes like Fork. Since you can't keep fish "in the slot" you couldn't carry them around for a weigh-in, but on paper they still count. I don't think anyone would want it to be something to technical so maybe we could have a 2 day tourney (Fri-Sat) and pay $100 a boat. Half split between 1st for the 2 day overall weight and then big fish of the tournament? I'll pony up for trophies for 1st place each day, 1st overall and big fish each day. Nothing fancy, just decent plaques with the A-owners logo on them (with Kevs approval of course!).

It's quite a drive for alot of family members (it's 500 miles from my town of Jackson, TN) but it's all interstate/highways and quick time can be made to get there and return home. Since most can't or wouldn't want to spend an entire week away from home or work I was thinking something like Wed-Sunday. Travel there on Wed, fish Thurs-Sat and return home Sunday! Expenses usually aren't that bad, most of the motels down there are $50-$75 a night with 2 beds. Some rooms have bunks for even more capacity. There are several GREAT restaurants on or near the water so meals are usually less than $10-$15 a piece. (I'm sure we could plan some cookouts at night!) There's likewise plenty of gas stations around and a Wal-Mart is less than 20 minutes away.

So what do you think guys, anyone up for a memorable fishing trip to get the season started nextyear??? :beer:
RA

pickwickangler

I see ... Now that you got a big ol fishin boat on tha way you gonna turn into Mr. Fisherman. Sounds like fun. I would probably be in for that trip. Later

RedAllison

Andy you got it all wrong, I'm a big ol fishermen and needed a bigger boat to hold dem bigger fishiz!!! :laughing :beer:

YEAH that's it!!! :cool
RA

John S

That sounds cool. I like roadtrips. And I like the bigguns, too. Could a little xb2002 survive on that lake?

cj707

It's a long way from CA. But if the dates are right, I'm in. Give me some dates as soon as possible.

Lars

RedAllison

John in all seriousness the 02 is probably the PERFECT boat for fishing Fork. The lake is so full of timber that a narrower boat will more easily navigate in standing timber. It's only 27K acres, is basically V shaped but being in northeast TX the wind never stops blowing in the spring so out on the main body it can get a lil rough. LOL my 2nd trip down there was in a 15' Stratos with a 90, we fished fine. But we had to use rainsuits under sunny skies to cross the lake when it was windy! :embarassed :smile

It's a VERY enjoyable lake to fish, good "classic bass fishin" styles with plenty of timber, vegetation, docks and submerged structure to fish. Like I said, because of the wide slot on the lake it has a predominate population of 3-7#ers on it. And being they are Florida strain they pull like FREIGHT TRAINS and are exceptionally healthy fish!

:beer:
RA

ps
Another thing I really enjoy about the lake is it was built STRICTLY for fishing. The entire economy around there caters to the bass fishermen. They really roll out the redcarpet for you and appreciate your business down there!

mha

Drive on a little further south and Mike Kelly and I will show you a real lake.
Plenty of fish and the best boat running water on the planet.

RedAllison

Pops come on up to Fork. I know there are other lakes in TX (personally I'd rather be on Rayburn!) but I'm not talkin about runnin water. (lol Fork AINT for runnin much over "on pad" speed except down by the dam!) I'm not even plannin on any runnin times/events/days. Just FISH FISH FISH...

The rally is for runnin, I'm hopin we can get together and RIP SOME LIPS!!! :beer:
RA

FLYING BUTCHER

I would be in if its in March, racin starts in April. Last year was my first time on the lake. Went in March and caught some great fish. Minnow Bucket is also a good place to stay but anywhere would work.

Texan

I would be in if its in March, racin starts in April. Last year was my first time on the lake. Went in March and caught some great fish. Minnow Bucket is also a good place to stay but anywhere would work.
This is where I stay. You've got good access to Caney Creek (the east fork), Little Caney which is the middle fork, the dam is near by and the boat lanes are easy to get to. Stay in the boat lane and haul arse, and the East Fork is easy to get to - 10-15 minute cruise at mid-throttle. The Minnow Bucket has what we call the Honeymoon Suite on the second level, which is good for hanging out and get togethers. It has one bedroom with 2 sets of bunk beds and one with two beds, with living and kitchen in the middle. Oakwood is right next door which has more rooms.

I'm game. I know right now that I'm committed the last week of April, 2008, so early April or even late March. I'll have something in March, but couldn't tell you the dates yet. I am but two hours away and have talked about doing something like this for the last few years, but let it slip. I've got guide service - all I have to do is call. He could set up other guides as well. Last year, the next day after he took us out he ripped the motor off his loaner Skeeter. They had to hoist the motor up on the rear end of the boat once he managed to get it on the trailer. So stumps are problems there.

Right now, Fork is up. Way up. Over the spillway up. We've had soooo much rain here in the last 30 days that everything is swelled out of the banks. We expect, and have been told that Texoma will increase the discharge to 25000 CF per second today or tomorrow, so even the Red will cause flooding down as far as Texarkana and probably Shreveport. Even if it stopped raining today, Fork would be at normal level next March or April.

Let's get this planned and pour some concrete around some dates.

Bob Ant

I think it sounds great. I always heard about Lake Fork and would love to be there with a good group of people like the A-bote community. Sign me up:)

Bob Anthony

RedAllison

Guys I'm open for ANYWHERE. Most of the places are similar (just good ol "motels" with big parking lots for boats and BSn) but one MUST DO is eating at Mosers Restaurant. Guys I literally eat down there 3 meals a day. They open at 5 in the mornin and close late at night. They are right on the lake so you can beach the boat and walk up the shore for lunch. Their steaks and pies are OUT OF THIS WORLD!!! :cuss :beer:

I've never stayed there before but I remember their motel is one story and quite spread out, would be an easy place for everyone to get in and out of. Lake Fork Taxidermy is on their driveway as well (they pioneered replica bass mounts!).

http://www.lakeforkmarina.com/

:at the bar
RA

http://www.ets-systems.com/lakefork/fork.htm

TN XB-21

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Count me in!!!! I would love to go!!!:smile :beer:

Anytime anywhere is fine with me!!!!!!!:smile :very happy !!!!

Texan

That's just south of the 515 bridge. I've never stayed there, but I'm game for anything. RA has it right - if you go there looking for a Hilton, you just ain't gonna find it. But most all of them are clean and the people friendly. Their entire business is based on the lake and people coming in from all parts to fish Fork.

The slot means that anything between 16 & 24" go back. A camera is essential if you want a picture of your catch. It's in dry there, too. So you'll have to bootleg your beer in.

RedAllison

Speakin of dry Tex, a few of the restaurants around there allow you to pay for a "membership" (usually like $10 a year) and then you're part of the "private club" and can order beer/wine with your meals. There was a FANTASTIC pizza place near hwys 7 and 15 that did that, and a good mexican place across the lake that did that likewise. Sulphur Springs, TX is the closest "lil city" nearby (you'll turn through it when comin off I-35 if you're comin in from the north) and there's plenty of beer places (and the Wal-Mart/Supercenter I talked about earlier).

MAN I'm gettin pumped about this trip, I'm ready to go RIGHT NOW!!! :beer: :beer:
RA

Texan

Yeah, most of the restaurants are like that around the lake. You would be getting off I-30, not I-35 coming from the north, though. Quitman is closer and has a Super Center, but they are dry as well. I advise totin your own. You dern sure don't want to stop anywhere in Arkansas and purchase, because the sales tax is outrageous! I travel east Texas quite and bit and stopped buying any liquor/beer in Texarkana, AR because I save considerably buying somewhere on the road in east Texas.

You might be ready to go right now, but Lake Fork would be very dangerous right now. We've had so much rain that all the stumps that normally would be showing, aren't. All our lakes are filled beyond the spillway, and most are closed to boat traffic.

Aside from the fishing fun on Lake Fork, you always have some dope from Dallas that drags his new Skeeter down with a buddy, bragging all the way down that his new rig is the fastest thing on the water. Last time I was down there, I was poking up the boatlane on the west fork of the lake, running about 3500 RPM when one passed me like I was going backwards. I had a partner in the boat and he immediately knew what was about to happen. I passed the Skeeter shortly, and got to the 515 Bridge no-wake zone area, and turned around waiting for him. He wanted to run again claiming that he was slowing down, wasn't prepared....blah blah blah. I told him that I'd just whupped him good for free, that the next round was gonna cost him a C-note. I really didn't think he'd take me up on it, but he did. We agreed on terms - rolling start, from here to there and where to meet up again. A few minutes later I had a brand new c-note in my pocket and on my way. He wasn't a happy camper.

Last edited:

RedAllison

Tex I know whatchu mean on the beer thing. I think the first time I went down with a bud several years ago we ended up driving somewhere further down 35 and north of Sulphur Springs to find beer. (Sale tax in my hood in TN is 9.75% so I doubt it's much worse in AR and it's on ALL food, services and groceries, I'll be sure and bring plenny. Hell I might hafta bring some kegs of SPORTSMANS BREW!!! :beer: )

As for the stumps, yes I understand the water is high and likewise the lake is now nearly 20 years old so alot of the standing timber is breaking off at the water line. THAT'S why I was saying this is a fishin trip NOT a haulin arse trip! To the first timer it's kinda nerve wrackin to be runnin in 40ft of water and look over the side of the boat and see oak tree trunks that are 3ft in diameter!!!

As for the guy in the Skeeter, he sounds like the same dude I crossed paths with in 99 when I took RDW to Fork and she was only 4 days old. My bud and I were cruisin along in the main boatin lane out on the main lake (out from Mustang) when a big ol Skeeter comes RIGHT BY US with his nose about 4' off the water, a rooster tail over the trees and he passes within feet of us (PLENTY of room to go by farther than that). As he came around us I heard my buddy do the same thing yours did, "Awwwwwww s#&t!" As I moved to keep out of that clowns wake I stabbed the gas and held on. Now at that time RDW only had a 25" Tempest on her (Jerry Jaco later called it a "learner prop") so the MOST that doorstop would run is what 80-82 SLAMMIN the limiter???

We passed that high ridin skeeter like he was draggin anchors. I run plum out of sight of him, up the other arm of the lake and continued on for another mile or so. We shut down and my partner and I were both laughin in hysterics. He says sumpin like, "Damn this boat gonna get us killed with chit like dat". We literally fished for SEVERAL minutes and had already covered a couple hundred yards of bank before the SS Skeeter came noisly by with his Yammie howlin in protest!!! :rolling eyes The looks on the drivers face was like :mad: and his passenger was like :big grin

Must be a TX thing... lmao
RA

Texan

You know they have the Skeeter Owners tournament on Fork. We have an oilfield tournament there every October with the main marina being Lake Fork Lodge. That's the marina/motel/restaurant just south of 515 on the road going down to Alba. Year before last me and my partner placed 8th overall, then last year we placed 4th. We were in the money with three fish, all under the slot when some goober pulled in with a hoss over the slot and a dink under. But in '05 the lake was down about 3 feet from normal. Last year it was down something like 7.5 to 8. Lake Fork Lodge and the Minnow Bucket were some of the few ramps you could get in and out of. We were literally looking, at eye level on the front casting deck at the tops of stumps we were bumping accross the year before. I fished the same spots we did the year before and they still produced. We had like 8 or 10 slot fish tournament day both times. We've been fishing this tournament for the last 12-13 years. There's about 15-20 of us in our core group that reserve the every room at the Minnow Bucket and stay there. Like I said, there is the honeymoon suite upstairs in the main building that we use as a base of drinkin an eatin operations. Oh yeah, bulls%$tin operations too.

I'm all hyped! This thing sounds like a blast! I'll call my pal at the Bucket, you call your people at the LFM, and let's see what Wed-Sun slots they have free in the March/April timeframe. Wonder how many will come. Can we get a straw pole going? I'll do my best to help coordinate from here. Can't promise a miracle, but I'll do my best. Heck, I'll even volunteer to have my fishing buddy drag my BBQ trailer down for some ribs one night. I can get about 18 racks of babybacks on there, if everyone is willin to pitch in on the groceries.

Get 'er dun!!!

Last edited: