A-owners Lake Fork fishing trip???

Texan

If you've never been on Fork a guide for 1 day or at least 1/2 day can really be enjoyable and educating. Most are $350 a full day (1-2 fishermen) and some guides allow "chase boats" (others can follow along in their own boat) for an extra $100-$150 a day.Expenses usually aren't that bad, most of the motels down there are $50-$75 a night with 2 beds. Some rooms have bunks for even more capacity. There are several GREAT restaurants on or near the water so meals are usually less than $10-$15 a piece. (I'm sure we could plan some cookouts at night!) There's likewise plenty of gas stations around and a Wal-Mart is less than 20 minutes away.
I think $65-85 per night will be more the norm. Food is plentiful as most motels have cafe's attached or as part of the package. Who knows what gas will be, but they don't rake you too badly over the coals at the motel's. Ifn' you just want to run to Wally World, I'm sure there is one in Quitman which is 10 minutes away. All in all, it'll be as expensive, or as inexpensive as you want to make it. I go down every October on a similar trip, and not including tourny entry fee, I spend about $500 on motels and eats.

It will be a big time, no doubt!

RedAllison

I think I'm gonna plan on feedin everyone that Thursday night. Gonna bring a grill and do up some smoked sausages and maybe someone can bring a fryer and we'll do some fries, hushpuppies etc...

Who bringin da beer??? :beer:
RA

ps
Hell dependin on how much action I get into this fall, my infamous deer steaks just might make a showin!!!

Texan

I think I'm gonna plan on feedin everyone that Thursday night. Gonna bring a grill and do up some smoked sausages and maybe someone can bring a fryer and we'll do some fries, hushpuppies etc...

Who bringin da beer??? :beer:
RA

ps
Hell dependin on how much action I get into this fall, my infamous deer steaks just might make a showin!!!
I've already talked with my partner about draggin my bbq trailer down. I've thought about doin some pork loin or babybacks. Heck, I've even got a buddy that just built his retirement home on Fork, just up from Emory. I could probably twist his arm just enough to have a sho-nuf shin-dig over at his place. He's got a patio made for cooking.

Attachments

TN XB-21

WOW!!! Now that is an impressive BBQ cooker:smile !!! Man I am getting pumped about this trip!!:cool !! Going to your bud's place one night sounds like a good idea to me.:beer:

Where do I sign up!! :confused: ??

Texan

At that particular moment, it had a dozen racks of babybacks on it and I had just stoked the fire. About three hours later I put 15 ears of corn on there along with some sausage and stuff jalapenos. We were cooking for the 4th and when it wasn't raining, the entire neighborhood smelled of pecan wood. Makin me hungry thinking about it.

RedAllison

RUT ROH, Tex lemme know if I need to bring some hickory down. Surely in Texico you can find us some good ol "moskeet" to Q over? I'm allergic to pecans (and anyother tree nuts, it's because of the sap. I can eat peanuts all day!) so I best not try anything Qd over pecan wood or otherwise somebody gonna be haulin me home stuffed under da deck of RDW2!!! :sad

But da rest sounds likea PLAN my man!!! :beer: :at the bar
RA

Texan

RUT ROH, Tex lemme know if I need to bring some hickory down. Surely in Texico you can find us some good ol "moskeet" to Q over? I'm allergic to pecans (and anyother tree nuts, it's because of the sap. I can eat peanuts all day!) so I best not try anything Qd over pecan wood or otherwise somebody gonna be haulin me home stuffed under da deck of RDW2!!! :sad

But da rest sounds likea PLAN my man!!! :beer: :at the bar
RA
Hickory I got! Seasoned oak too. I'm bringing a bunch of mesquite back from Coleman in September when I go shoots dem little birdies. Either way, we'll have plenty to graze on. How can hickory not get under your skin and pecan does? Day both got nutz!??

TN XB-21

Red,

What do you mean "bring you home stuffed under da deck of RDW2" ?

We would let you go in style, put you on top of the deck in your finest fishing outfit holding your rod and reel, pour gas all over you and the boat and then push it out in the lake and light it up!! You would go to the great beyond in Viking style!!!:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: !!!

Bob Ant

If we need a scale to weigh the fish, I got one we use here at our local plant tournaments.

Somewhere earlier in this tread someone said something about not being able to keep fish in a certain slot limit, but anyhow--if we need a good tournamet scale I got one.

Bob Anthony

GotMyAlly

Red,

What do you mean "bring you home stuffed under da deck of RDW2" ?

We would let you go in style, put you on top of the deck in your finest fishing outfit holding your rod and reel, pour gas all over you and the boat and then push it out in the lake and light it up!! You would go to the great beyond in Viking style!!!:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: !!!
Hell no.....I might set RA on fire - but the boat is coming home with me!

RedAllison

lmao I figgered Neal would have an objection to lightin up RDW2. He'd do me like Clark Grizwald and tie me tooda roof rack (I gotta BIG un on my truck so it'd hold me!).

As for the pecan vs hickory, man don't axe me. You're right, probably WOULDN'T cause a problem. But I've had 3 attacks in my life (3, 8 and about 8 years ago) I go into whatever they call it "anaphlectic shock?" sumpin like dat, in otherwords my airway closes up within minutes!!! The doctor said I would NOT survive a 4th attack. :cuss

Hmmmmmmmm you know Michelle cooks deserts sometimes, she also has seen the will and knows how much life insurance she's a beneficiary of!!! :sad :embarassed
RA

ps
Bob as for the scales, I'll come up wit sumpin but being a paper tournament the only time we'd need scales is to weigh short fish and you're only allowed to keep 1 fish OVER the slot. If that's the case we could do that with a handheld digital. Folks GONNA catch more "in slot" fish than out of. You can't even put "in" fish into your livewells. They gotta go back as soon as you land em!

Texan

Somewhere earlier in this tread someone said something about not being able to keep fish in a certain slot limit, but anyhow--if we need a good tournamet scale I got one.

Bob Anthony
.....a little Lake Fork history....pardon while I opine....
Lake Fork has been a slot lake since it opened. Originally the slot was 14-22", and anything in the slot had to go back. Several years ago the upped the slot to 16-24".

Before they built the dam, stock ponds were stocked with upwards of 800,000 Florida largemouth fingerlings, and have continued to stock it yearly totalling over 8 million to date.

You can keep one over the slot and I think four under the slot, but catch and release is strongly encouraged. Most tournaments on the lake are 1 over and three under. If you are fortunate enough to catch one there over 13 pounds, it can be entered into the TP&W Share a Lunker Program, for brood stock. TP&W will present a fiberglass replica of the fish to the angler who brought it in. The program is open from October 1 through April 30.

I've lived within a maximum of two hours of this lake since it came up. They have tons of little tournaments on the lake each year along with the McDonalds, which brings in three to four thousand boats. But the first nationally televised, professional tournament to take place on Fork was this past April, and was co-sponsored by TP&W and Toyota. You can follow this link and read all about it: http://www.toyotatexasbassclassic.com/ Needless to say, it was a big deal for us in East Texas.

I'm off the soapbox now. Sorry to bore you with my ramblings, but there aren't many things I'm pasionate about, and Lake Fork is one of them.

Last edited:

Texan

As for the pecan vs hickory, man don't axe me. You're right, probably WOULDN'T cause a problem. But I've had 3 attacks in my life (3, 8 and about 8 years ago) I go into whatever they call it "anaphlectic shock?" sumpin like dat, in otherwords my airway closes up within minutes!!! The doctor said I would NOT survive a 4th attack. :cuss
Do you smoke/cook over hickory? I can supply an ample supply of that ifn your throat don't tighten up w/ hickory.

pickwickangler

I always hear about texas beef. We could all buy our own steak or pitch in and grill steaks one night. RA ifn you dont get a deer, I will lay the smack down on a couple for ya. May have to throw some bologna on that smoker! I got alot of hickory if we need it. I will help out any way I can. Later

RedAllison

NOW we cookin wit... SEVERAL kindsa goot wood it sounds like!!! :beer:

DAMN skraight we GONNA hafta get Andy to do up a log or two of his "MS roundsteak"... dat wuz sum GOOTCHIT at the FB rally this spring. :cool

I'm all for whatever da group says, if we wanna weigh 4 dinks plus a "slotter" or if ya get lucky enough an "overer" then I'm all for it. Scales are no problem. I'm sure I can borrow the scales and basket from my club as well.

Reckon it's time to start comin up with a list of possible "rally sites" and then begin whittlin it down by Augusts end...
RA

pickwickangler

Do you smoke/cook over hickory? I can supply an ample supply of that ifn your throat don't tighten up w/ hickory.
Dat boy is fine with hickory. He ate plenty of food I smoked at the fastbass rally that was cooked with hickory.

pickwickangler

He!! we aint goin to catch dinks lol. I say who ever catches the biggest sob over the slot while we are down there wins. That would be a easy way of doin it. Ifn no body catches one over then we could flip for tha trophy lol.

GotMyAlly

I like Andy's idea....biggest hog of the week gets the trophy. I'm gonna have to borrow that 120 qt igloo of RA's cuz what I'll be casting for won't fit in the livewell.

I'm all for some texas STEAK. Just don't BBQ that beef. I don't think I could eat bbq'd beef if you tied me up and starved me for 3 days. That just ain't american.....bbq is supposed to be pig.

RedAllison

Neal I bet I could whip up some BBQ brisket dat would CHANGE YO MIND!!!

:beer:
RA

ps
Dat bigazz cooler IS gonna be in TX, but it gonna be FULLA BEER!!! :at the bar