A-owners Lake Fork fishing trip???

pickwickangler

Hey Red, Make sure you spell my name right on em trophys you gettin made. It will look good next to my fastbass trophy lol. Get you some lol. Nah...I probably wont catch a fish but its going to be a blast. Tha heck with these dinks at pickwick we is going to fork baby .... Gonna have ta man up on my fishin tackle. Later

RedAllison

Tsk tsk tsk, beins as I am OFISHKULLY pronouncin myself as da "Tourney Director" I think it's only fair dat I WIN FIRST PLACE!!! (Now where did I put that two headed quarter?) :razz

Men this is already soundin like a "ALL SYSTEMS GO, FULL THROTTLE UP" gig at this point. Maybe we should put up a DEADLINE DATE for those who want to stay at one central place with choice of premium rooms (like if we pick a 2 story joint, most will prefer the 1st floor rooms etc...)??? Those who can't commit until winter time or even nextyear are STILL VERY MUCH WELCOMED TO COME ALONG AND WE'D LOVE TO HAVE YOU. But you'll have to procure your own rooms/reservations etc... After late fall/early winter the good stuff starts booking up quick down there.

First I think we should list places we've either personally stayed at down there or at least places we are very comfortable with by recommendation of trusted others. Then eventually we can eliminate everything down to maybe a list of "6 Hopefuls" or something like that? Dennis (TNXB21) is going to be in the Lake Fork area the middle of August and perhaps can visit our "6 Hopefuls" and make recommendations from there?

And/or you guys who live in the TX/LA/OK area who frequent the Fork area alot we'll REALLY depend on your input for places to go as well as places to avoid! Rather than "appoint such locals" I'd rather they come forward on a volunteer basis. I'd rather they help because they want to instead of because they feel they need to or because they were asked etc... So "locals" feel free to step aside or volunteer, the choice is yours!

I have been on Fork on 5-6 different occasions (appx 1 week at a time) and stayed at 3 different places.

1st time was Axtons Bass City. That was in March '94 on a church trip/tourney. It wasn't anything special but since it was my first time down there I really can't recall a tremendous amount about it. That was 13 years ago, it could be a freakin Hilton by now. (I wouldn't bet on that tho! :laughing ) The rooms themselves were typical "fish motel" quality. I can't remember anything about the rest of the facility!

MOST of the times I stayed at the Mustang Resort (From '98-'01). I became good friends with the owners son-in-law. His name was Lee Knight and he was a guide as well as a Nitro National team member and was Van Dams tour partner during that era. (He still goes with KVD on a family deerhunt in Canada each year.) I had Lee up to my place in MO a few years ago for a turkey hunt. But I know understand Lee is no longer guiding. (LOL knowing Lee he might not even still be married to Butch's daughter Missy! :embarassed ) The Mustang is a typical "fishin motel" and is right on the lake. The Mustang was the first commerical "bass camp" on Fork so it's old, but clean, neat and affordable. I likewise fished on Toledo Bend and Rayburn in the 80s as well and most all of these "TX bass camps" are essentially the same, a traditional lakeside motel. Some with RV/campgrounds, some with marinas and some with restaurants as well as gas stations. Nothing fancy, but we aint there for the 5-star accomodations, just fishn all day and BSn with buds at night.

One night or two during one of our trips to Mustang my bud and I had made reservations late in the season so we didn't have a room at the Mustang for one or two nights. So they called nextdoor and got us a room at "Popes Resort". The facilities weren't bad but not great, they did have large rooms however! They didn't have the best parking and even fewer recepticles for charging your boat each night (something that Mustang has PLENTY of!). There likewise were signs ALLOVER Popes and even IN the rooms about "DON'T DO THIS, DON'T DO THAT" It was so bad that even my bud said, "You know what I DON'T see? I don't see ANY signs that say THANK YOU FOR YOUR BUSINESS"!!! So unless they've changed ownership/mgmt. I'll put Popes on the NO GO list from the start...

It's been '01 since I've been back down there so that's about all the help I can be at this point. The table is open for ALL input from newbies OR old timers.

I'm gettin as excited about this as I am next years rally and NEARLY as much as the new boat!!! :beer:
RA

Last edited:

pickwickangler

Neal.. I gots tha coin toss down pat lol. RA I think it would be best if I could get a room downstairs ... I dont think chad could tote me upstairs. Who else is in for the 1st annual Who says you cant fish out of a ally showdown. Later

RedAllison

LMAO Andy, NEXTYEAR you on your own!!! I AINT cleanin up no mo messes lessin they my kids... :razz

Oh and men I forgot to add... JUST HOW MUCH "HEAVEN LIKE" IS LAKE FORK???

Well beside the majority of the fish being 3-7#ers and plentiful, the lake was built by the TPWD (game wardens) and all the timber was left in it. It was built specifically FOR trophy bass fishing (slot been on it from day one I believe) so as a direct result there are no ANNOYING JET SKIERS, FEW IF ANY PLEASURE BOATERS AND NO FREAKIN 50' CRUISERS!!! The biggest thing on the lake gonna be RDW2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer:
RA

Texan

Alright!!! Let's get some concrete poured around the whole deal and get it done! I'm in if at all possible. You guy's that haven't been on Fork need to plan on it. I know men that drive down from Texarkana six to eight time a year to fish Fork. It is, like RA said, "HEAVEN LIKE" for bass fishing. What needs to be done? I'm offering whatever I can do to make this happen. I am a few short hours away from Fork and run through there as often as business carry's me.

RA: you got mail.

Texan

Man...this thing just kinda crapped out. Can we get it cranked back up and get a head count of those that are interested?

pickwickangler

We got alot time before next year. Im sure some are hesitant to commit to a trip that far away without any sound details yet. I will be there fo sho, if nuthin bad happens between now and then. Give ol red a few days too come up with some plans and then we could post a sign up sheet. Look out boys ol PWA is comin to fork and Im swingin for tha fence. Later

Texan

I guess I'm gettin a little set in my ways. The last ten years or so I haven't been able to take a real vacation unless I planned it six to eight months in advance. I don't do 'spur of the moment' very well on trips unless it's business, then its on the company dime. Heck we just got back from vacation and are already planning next summers trip with friends.

Certain things I like to have planned well in advance. My off time is one of them because when I'm off, I want everyone to know so they won't be a botherin me. On business, I might be travelling three states away with two days notice - still bugs me, but not nearly as much as my off time. Yup....I'm a little AR (anal retentive) and I'll be the first to admit it.

RedAllison

TX it AINT crapped out!!! This thing is GOINT TO HAPPEN. I'm all for sayin heck just MAKE IT HAPPEN THE LAST WEEKEND OF MARCH 08!!!

Andy we also can't wait to late, like I said this aint Pickwick we're talking about this FORK. The lake gets over 500K fishermen a year on it and 75% of that 500K arrive between Feb and April. Things WILL fill up and fill up QUICKLY this fall and winter. That's why I was saying we need give this thing about a month max and then "pour concrete around it" and setter in stone.

It AINT crappin out TX, I can assure you there WILL be an A-owners Tourney on Fork next spring. Go ahead and book the time off at work, like I said lets just say Wed. March 26th-Sun. 30th, 2008!!! That should put it on the tailend of the "springs storms" time and yet the fish will be on the bed in many places. The weather "should" be pleasant" you certainly need to pack your rainsuit but the freak "February snowshowers" shouldn't be much of a concern late in March (NOTHING is impossible but I've been down there in snow as well as 80+ degree heat in March so you never truly know for sure!)

Folks will continue to commit throughout the fall... :beer:
RA

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Hopefully I'll have a diesel by then if I'm gonna tow mine down there. I'm about embarrassed to drive a gasser after riding to east TN with Andy!

Seriously....how long of a drive is it from Memphis?

RedAllison

Neal it's 500 miles from Jackson to Fork. So for you it's probably 410-420ish. The lake is between Texarkana and Dallas so it's not very far into TX. Interstate all the way!!! It's an easy pull as well. You just run to Little Rock, hit it 35 to Texarkana and then on past to Sulphur Springs, TX. (About 80 miles east of Dallas). The tow is basically flat and you can GET IT. Smatter dat ol dardge won't pull da 03??? :razz :laughing

:beer:
RA

GotMyAlly

Hells yeah my dodge will pull the fark out of anything I hook to it but it gets 11-12 mpg doing it! And that is if i tow at 70-75. At 80, it gets about 9 mpg towing.

I want a less-hungry goat....

Last edited:

Texan

Seriously....how long of a drive is it from Memphis?
I live in Texarkana and can be at the airport in Little Rock in two hours flat. I don't get over to Memphis as much as I should, so I'm figuring another two and a half hours to the bridge. That give us four and a half hours from the River to Texarkana. From here to Sulphur Springs is a shade over an hour...probably an hour and fifteen minutes. From Sulphur Springs down 154, you are about 30 minutes, at most from the corner of 154 and 515. If we congregate over at Lake Fork Marina, turning sw on 515 takes 5 minutes to get to the Alba highway (some Farm to Market road just over the 515 bridge) and another minute and your there.

I quit meansuring distance in miles a long time ago. Hours and minutes is what my wife wants to hear.

RedAllison

30, 35... I KNOW it wudnt 20 and I knowed it aint 40 so jest split da difference!!! :beer:

Just follow da signs to Dallas and turn south at Sulphur Springs!!! :razz
RA

Texan

It AINT crappin out TX, I can assure you there WILL be an A-owners Tourney on Fork next spring. Go ahead and book the time off at work, like I said lets just say Wed. March 26th-Sun. 30th, 2008!!!

Folks will continue to commit throughout the fall... :beer:
RA
Do you figure we can get a 'sticky' out of this?

newell

I might be in for it pending final date, place, and cost. :cool

I haven't been to a "Alli Rally" yet, much less a fishin' one!! :beer:

I will continue to follow this if you don't mind!! :smile