At the end of my rope!

suicidealli

that is freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!! adam "woodsman" if you drive like that im not getting in the boat with you!!!!! lmao.. that guy has big marbles. i dont think he let out of it even when it hooked... looked like the throttle was stuck..lmao
looked like a critchfield boat or a similar one. allison had one like it too.

roy

whipper

That was a very funny video. Love the colorfull coments!! Only the Aussys can get away with that much fun!! That little mono was trimed running as loose as I have ever seen a boat ever to awsome!!

BigCountryx

I'm with suicidealli, if you drive like that, I'm not riding with you.... but I will stand on the pier with my camera, lol. That is so much fun to watch!!!

resqu-u

Awesome video, I don't think that boat could be more on the edge, or off of it for that matter. Those Aussies are CRAZY!

90 5.0

I stole this off S+F. It's long and they don't speak the same language but....
at 10:35 is how most new drivers feel in an Allison.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aik1WDUclRw

I don't know which is funnier the speaker or the boat.
that's how i felt at first lol..

i've had my ally alomost a year and i still can't get every last bit of speed out of it but it's getting better and better everytime out, i can drive 70-75 now like i'm cruising down the highway in my truck most days, it's over that that i'm still getting squirelly

it took a while t get there, and i have had a lot of boats before this one. it is a different experiance for sure from most others, save from a hydrostream, it drives alot like my uncles hydro imo..

woodsman

that is freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!! adam "woodsman" if you drive like that im not getting in the boat with you!!!!! lmao.. that guy has big marbles. i dont think he let out of it even when it hooked... looked like the throttle was stuck..lmao
looked like a critchfield boat or a similar one. allison had one like it too.

roy
friend id say you would scare me rather me scare you!..lol now, if you let me get it in the walk iv got it in before and dont correct me, you might close your eyes, grip the seat and poo your hands full at the same time.lol. i must say whipper has filled me full of knowledge....my head is like becomeing the shape of a allicon hull on plane. if only i could comuicate it to my hands on the water.
i think im aggrovating the guys at work now, all i talk about is alli's going fast and watching alli videos on my phone..lol

woodsman

Yep. Go ride a bike at 20-30mph and wiggle wheel to balance yourself as much as your doing now in your boat and youll flop over also.

easy trimming method: Raise the motor to the desired engine hight,say 1/2 inch below and leave it there forever for now.

Mash the peddle to the floor and as your hull starts to crest dont hold the trim but bump it as many times as it takes pretty fast to keep the bow off the water as you get going on plain. Youll feel the bow in the water if your to slow on the trim and that will cause the hull to feel heavy in the bow untill ya get enough bumps on the trim with your foot mashed to free up the hull.
As you accelerate just stay in the throatle foot mashed.
You might need to give it one or two more bumps on the way to 60 to keep her freed up. You notice at 60 the acceleration starting to slow down. Thats ok. Once your at 63-65 holding the foot down make one bump on the trim. Then one more. Then another and youll {feel} the hole hull lift up and get lighter all of a sudden. Thats the hull getting up on the pad. Youll accually feel it now you know what your looking for.

This is the only time you need to start {driving the Allison} Anyone can get to that point. Its what happens on the pad thats the tricky parT.

So this is the point were little steering inputs keep ya level and not walking back and forth. The very split second the hull feels like it wants to wiggle as you make that one bump on the trim that is the final one to get you up on the pad is when ya start and will always need the little tiny corrections to keep it steady the whole run above 70.

That 3 or so bumps from 63ish as she climbs up out of the water you look at the speedo as see an instant almost 10mph. Thats what happens when your running such a dry less wetted surface. thats the beuity of Allisons over almost any other hull on the planet. The whole hulls shape and pad shape are the best ther is for high speeds from freeing up the whole hull and making her ride in an optimal stance for cutting threw the wind and water.

So again when ya try this and you never {cought it} right away when ya got up on the pad at 65-70 then ya might as well just back down now and bump back as many times as you bumped up at 63 bring her back to 63 hold her steady knowing theres good water with no wakes in front of you and start bumping the 3 or 4 times again to get up on the pad and try and catch it right wasy again and again and again. You see a clearer pitcher of what ya have to do now Ill bet.:banghead

it takes a long post to explain everything in detail. Sorry about that but im sure your starting to understand more now the forcess at work and {HOW} you need to spend your time practicing.

We all went threw this. Well exept maybe a few chosen ones. Those guys are probably the the guys that smoked weed all day at school and still got A,s also.
Most of us go threw the prosses.

One more thing on Balanceing the hull as this will make life way easier also. The guys with the XB03,s can fill ya in more on this but its pretty standard for each hull based on your weight. For instance this is my GS not your XB so yours will be differant the guys will fill ya in on what they do,. im 220. I need two shot bags of 25lbs each in the oposite side to offset my weight at the helm. With this amount of wieght there is very little balance issues. If i took one weight out I would have to steer way more than I do with two as an example. With the correct amount of weight to offset you you can almost not even have to steer to balance because the hull is perfictly balanced already!!!!! Soooo Part of the problem you might be having is though ya feel your hull seems balanced at idel it may not be balanced enough or two much? So if ya give your weight {sorry for being personal if thats an issue} but then some one whith an XB03 that weighs the same can tell you what and were they have weight to off set for balance on there XB03. Then at least that takes that equation out of the picture then its just the driving part youll have to concentrate on knowing your setup is the same as someones whos you know is perfictly balanced. :beer:
whipper i dont mind reading about allisons at all! Im glad you have put all this input in, if not only me someone else may read this and learn how to drive their investment. I can say just reading this and your and the other guys comments i have spotted 2/3 things im doing wrong already. im like eager beaver to get back on the water right now. im goina try and go saterday morning weather permitting. would love to post back a speed of at least 70-75!

and by the way how dare you ask me my weight!!!.........jk. lol, i weight between 185-190 it goes up and down daily. my 90 pound wife seems to balance the boat really good in the passenger seat but, she dont like the walking or speed at all, so experimenting with her in the boat is a no go..lol

Last edited:

woodsman

Me and my buddy are going to Laurel sat if ya wanna join us
awesome! i will either be going there or cumberland one of the two. pm me your number and what time you will be down there and round bout location on the water and ill meet up with ya if i go there.

John S

The experience of learning to fly an allison is much like a young mans journey of sexual conquest of a woman (Or in Jimbob's experience, whatever he can get to swallow enough of that eastern bloc black label hooch... He said labs have a real strong bite, lol.) At first, you swing and sway akwardly all over the place, and if youre like me, all your friends are watching and laughing (yes, both experiences). Over time, you try different angles, RPM, and sometimes just force it past your comfort zone. And soon enough, your balancing your beer while you bust out some of your best moves at speeds no one would deem safe.

To be serious, you are cutting your teef on one of the two hardest allisons to drive as a virgin, the grandsport being the other. If you dont feel comfortable with a passenger, put some softener salt bags or something that would replicate at least a hundred or so pounds in the passenger side. It will make your life way easier. Allisons are all feel, I was told to cover all my guages, and just experiment with how my adjustments changed things... and it worked. Good luck with it all, and stay away from Jimbob if he has that hooch with him....

SLOmofo

awesome! i will either be going there or cumberland one of the two. pm me your number and what time you will be down there and round bout location on the water and ill meet up with ya if i go there.
I would suggest meeting at a ramp where they can check the boat out first. But our lakes for the most part are small and have only one or two ramps anyway.

jimbob88

John s, you crack me up!!! These guys on here will basically spoon feed you trying to get a person past the baby steps. But nothing, & I mean nothing helps more than getting one of these folks in a boat with you, period!!! If you hook up with roy make sure he doesn't give his patented ejector seat lesson.:shock:

Texan

I can assure you that once you get in the swing of it, you'll be the envy of the boating group at the lake. Don't let the hull get the best of you. It will come with seat time, set up and advice from experienced A- boat pilots. I've driven/owned a bunch of different hulls in my day, starting with a wollered out log of a stick steering bass boat with a 4 cylinder, push button lower unit Jon-Rude back in the 70's. At the time, it was about the baddest V4 there was. It was a piece of cake to drive compare to my XB03, but I wouldn't trade it for anything out there now, except maybe an XB21.

And don't listen to a word of what Jim Bob says. He's just a southern Canadian and has hard water to deal with most of the year. Therefore he doesn't have the experience most of us SOUTHERN boy's do......

LOL!!!

Last edited:

SSTOM

Adam sorry I missed your call give me a shout anytime. Thanks Scott for the kind words. Tom

woodsman

no problem man. i was on my way home from work and got sleepy and seen a moment to talk about alli's..lol

SSTOM

I'm off from my second job tonight give me a shout anytime today my phone is always on. Tom