At the end of my rope!

xb03fs

so can you drive now??? How did the day at the lake go

woodsman

We'll, I went out on the first run and ask roy how I was doing at 45 and he seemed to think I was doing good at 45...lol

I got the boat to 63 and Roy could only get it to 73. He said it was either rev limiter that stoped him or that was top speed. He seemed to feel like 6000 was all it would push.
Roy did find right away that my steering and linkage needs some major attention. I actually feel better that's its not as much me as it is my set up.
to show me the difference he was kind enough to allow me behind the wheel of his 02. Im not sure he can correct me but I think I was driving his 02 70-75 easier than I was driving mine at 63. So after he schooled me on what I need to do with my steering I have been looking up everything I need and thinking of what I need to do. He also give me some set up pointers on engine as well.
On a further note I found out I was lied to about the engine. Its not a offshore or a 260, or 240, its a flat 200. And the boat will not do 94...lol
Roy schooled me a great deal on many things even fishing.! He caught 6 to my 1.

Last edited:

SSTOM

That's great. IMO there is more left in your setup do you have a nosecone on the lowerunit? A friend of mine had one with a 200 on it and it would run right around 83 to 84. We had a blast at Laruel Billy Eaves came up and meet us at the lake and brought some props we ran all day. Got my buds 2002 with a 225ss to run 104 I was impressed with it. Was a great day can't wait to do it again. Tom

woodsman

yeah it has a nose cone. and thats great, i would like to join you guys sometime, fish and run, but first i have to do something with my steering. its like trying to steer a tank with cables compared to roys set up..lol

suicidealli

Adam it was very nice meeting you... we will have to hook up and do some running.
when we were fishing, adam was asking how much a 260 cost???????????lmao
he is hooked!

his steering needs some work.lol couldnt believe how hard it was to turn the wheel. needs steering luber.
you can move the motor 2" without the wheel moving.
went over what needs to be done.
needs solid mounts.
motor is to low.

funny story adam was driving, and i was in the pass seat. about 62-63 it was getting the wiggles. he let out of it, and i grabbed the wheel from the pass seat, and told him to get back in it.. i couldnt hardly move the wheel with one hand. i told him to let out of it.... well Adam is DEAF in his left ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i didnt know that...lmao finally i said let out of it a little louder!!!!!!!!!!!! he said what???? i said let out of it..lol too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!
he drove my 02 very well he was in the 70's no problem. i changed jackplates thurs, so my motor height is a little high, but he did very well. he drove it for a mile or so in the mid 70's. he is getting the hang of it. he was correcting the wheel with smaller movements... i took him for a ride, and we buzzed it up a little.
adam has a bone stock 200. it is a very clean motor. i didnt look at the rpm's when i was driving it!!! but the throttle was maxed out.. it could have used some more trim, but with sloppy steering, i wasnt going to get wet!!!!!!!!!!!!! his xtb is really a nice looking boat!!!! he is should be on his way with a few changes.

roy

xb03fs

Yep even a 200 should top 80 light loaded. I think wieght effects uslower powered allisons more. Two man loaded to fish I am 79 everyday two man light load 81 82 just me loaded to fish 82 83 just me light 85.7 and 84 barely 85 .1 to 85.3 most days best of 85.7 boat out of balance and I don't like much past 75

woodsman

and yeah Roy, I am hooked! I was hooked a little from the time I realized I was going to actually get and Allison. But that set up and rig you had was very very nice. :very happy The sound of it the handleing of it the power, it was all put together very nice. I think a shorty like me could have stood for the hotfoot to have been a smig closer...lol
I am thinking of setting my sights on a bridgeport. Thats the engine i fell in love with so long ago and i recon it is a little more powerful than mine if im not mistaken, right?

whipper

2.4 Bridgeport 240hp right but you would be best off with a 225 Promax. 96-2000. Thats the best motor bang for buck with reliability and good speed loaded or light. Should get a boat like yours to 89-91 relitivly easaly. They are decent on fuel and a good fresh one runs $5500 and less in motors for sale on hear and other boards. Scream and Fly has very large outboards for sale section. You could sell your 200 and not pay a very large pennilty moving up to a 225PM. They have close to 240 hp also even though they say 225.

Texan

One thing about the steering, and this is simply my opinion, ditch the cables and order hydraulic. Less than a day with a buddy and a case of beer. No special tools required. Bleed the lines out every year and add a little fluid.

I had cables when I first got mine several years ago and switched to the hydraulic kit from Allison. That was the year we had our first Allsion fishing tournament on Fork. The week before I had purchased new Hummingbird electronics to include side imaging for the dash and a new 787 for the bow. I got the award for spending the most to get the boat tournament ready. The next year the old MotorGuide on the front took a dump, so there went another $900.......

Wouldn't trade it for anything on the water in the same class. I was impressed with the Merc 250 XS I drove last year on Greeson. Awesome hole shot and mid range. No Sporty, so 90 was about all I felt comfortable with. But that's a high $$$ motor that sips fuel. Until my true 260 takes a complete dump, it will continue to hang off the back of mine.....

Alli-drenaline Rush

We'll, I went out on the first run and ask roy how I was doing at 45 and he seemed to think I was doing good at 45...lol

I got the boat to 63 and Roy could only get it to 73. He said it was either rev limiter that stoped him or that was top speed. He seemed to feel like 6000 was all it would push.
Roy did find right away that my steering and linkage needs some major attention. I actually feel better that's its not as much me as it is my set up.
to show me the difference he was kind enough to allow me behind the wheel of his 02. Im not sure he can correct me but I think I was driving his 02 70-75 easier than I was driving mine at 63. So after he schooled me on what I need to do with my steering I have been looking up everything I need and thinking of what I need to do. He also give me some set up pointers on engine as well.
On a further note I found out I was lied to about the engine. Its not a offshore or a 260, or 240, its a flat 200. And the boat will not do 94...lol
Roy schooled me a great deal on many things even fishing.! He caught 6 to my 1.
Roy's a class act......

SLOmofo

I agree with the HYD steering, but you might learn to drive with the cables first then switch. Who knows you might not get it (balancing) and hate the boat and sell it. Well I guess not, see your already looking to spend $ on a jack plate. I've heard it's easier to learn with cable steering because of the feed back you get with them. Can't speak from experance cuz I've always had Hyd.

Last edited:

woodsman

Well I have thought about hyd steering. But like Roy was telling me, I probably should go with cable due to getting the feel feed back. And I don't really have the money to shell out that much right away with Christmas coming up.

But I am definitely going to get what steering I have going the way it should be. And I know all about get these allies up and tourney ready! I have two hummingbird units on my xtb and created lots of bait storage.

As for selling it(as was talked of earlier), someday I will sell the xtb simply to upgrade year model and keep it fresh. But for now im going to have fun with what I got and take in the fact I have finally got me and alli!

whipper

Got that right Woodsman no rush. Im in the same boat.
Christmas and kids cost $$$. All in good time. Thats what we have in a boat with no wood. There not going to rot away on us. They will be there day in day out and when we have the cash to give her a treat she will respond with possitive feedback. Hydrolics,jackplate,more power all in good time. The first couple of years get to know her. No point in getting anything untill your able to run her to her full potentuial. The first thing I would get though if i was going to in the new year would be hydrolic steering. That does make the boat just that much easyer to drive all day. No tourque steer at all. Just like driving a cadilac.:beer:

Otherwise as far as power and hydrolic jacks go you can raise your motor to 1/4 below or 1/2 below and leave it there forever. i do and I have hydrolic Jacks. I rarley adjust the motor hight. I do for prop testing but they all seem to go back to the same hight for me running even works the best no matter what on my GS with the power I have.

No point in more power untill you get board with the top speed you have day in day out and want more. Thats a little bit away yet . So no biggy there. The 200 will be great for a long time yet Ill bet. Put a little away over time in a seperate account for your wish list. Then it will happen when your ready.

ROBERT CROSS

2.4 Bridgeport 240hp right but you would be best off with a 225 Promax. 96-2000. Thats the best motor bang for buck with reliability and good speed loaded or light. Should get a boat like yours to 89-91 relitivly easaly. They are decent on fuel and a good fresh one runs $5500 and less in motors for sale on hear and other boards. Scream and Fly has very large outboards for sale section. You could sell your 200 and not pay a very large pennilty moving up to a 225PM. They have close to 240 hp also even though they say 225.
Yep...for sure, 'cept I'd stretch the year to '04, I'm biased.:big grin

Bob