ELITE series angler just went ELITE!

SmallJaw

I've talked with Grant a couple of times and will tell you this much about him. He knows he has a lot to learn about his boat but you can tell he is very excited abd is soaking up anything he hears so be can minimize the learning curve. I also came away thinking that we had a pretty classy man representing us in the new spotlight of the Elite Series.:very happy

biller31

I got to talk with Grant some more at the Bassmaster's Classic this weekend. We have an excellent representative in him!

hooken203

I am glad to hear about the Yamaha deal. I hope what ever they learn gets passed on because there's not a lot of set up help for the SHO owners. I need some with mine.

Darth VMAX

I am glad to hear about the Yamaha deal. I hope what ever they learn gets passed on because there's not a lot of set up help for the SHO owners. I need some with mine.
I know Darris is a died in the wool black motor guy, but I have a feeling some paradigms might be changing with this.

hooken203

I dont blame him. There is a lot of performance built into Mercury products that isnt there in Yamaha. Thats not to say you cant make the Yamahas run. I look at it like the Chevrolet Ford hotrod stuff. You can make a ford run very well but everybody has the parts and knowlage to make a Chevy run with half the effort.
Like I said I am a SHO owner and I can see some good info coming out of this.I just hope it gets passed along.

Allyfishing

My wife showed me that pic from Goldbecks FB page and it said Mr. Worthy from Hydro Tec was sitting there alongside Mr. Allison. You can bet that rig will be set up correctly til Goldbeck takes full possession!!

And like Darth just mentioned, this is huge for Allison learning about the SHO 4 stroke world!! Only good things can come of this!!

Darth VMAX

My wife showed me that pic from Goldbecks FB page and it said Mr. Worthy from Hydro Tec was sitting there alongside Mr. Allison. You can bet that rig will be set up correctly til Goldbeck takes full possession!!

And like Darth just mentioned, this is huge for Allison learning about the SHO 4 stroke world!! Only good things can come of this!!
I just got off the phone with Wayne Worthy about taking my boat to him on the 14th of March. He is still in Nixa MO so I don't think that was him. He is poised and ready to help with the motor set-up but is awaiting official B.A.S.S clarification that the lower-unit mods and propshaft replacement is good to go.

RedAllison

I don't see why there should be ANY discussion about a gearcase with BASS? Well let me change that to... They SHOULD be consulted for "nice and proper etiquette" but as for them saying "NO" if they did that then they are going AGAINST their OWN WRITTEN RULES and would then be blatantly discriminating against Grant, Allison & Yamaha!!! Their rulebook says NOTHING about bolt-on parts that don't effect the engines horsepower output! In terms of "power modifications", bolting on a different gearcase is no different than changing props!

This is copied directly from the (Bassmaster.com) 2014 BassMasters Elite Rule Book:

C8. HORSEPOWER REGULATIONS:
MAXIMUM HORSEPOWER FOR ALL OUTBOARD MOTORBOATS USED IN OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT PRACTICE AND IN TOURNAMENT COMPETITION WILL BE 250 HP.
Horsepower cannot exceed the limitations set by the U.S. Coast Guard. When required, each boat must have a U.S. Coast Guard horsepower
rating plate attached to the boat by the manufacturer. The horsepower of the outboard engine must NOT exceed the rating specified on this plate nor the horsepower maximum set by B.A.S.S. Each competitor agrees to submit, by his signature on the official entry form, the boat and outboard motor used in the tournament to an inspection by factory-trained personnel if there is any reason to suspect the horsepower is in excess of the rating. Normal maintenance of engines is allowed. Changing or altering standard factory parts of a competitor’s engine to increase the horsepower over the factory horsepower rating is forbidden and will result in disqualification. Falsifying information on entry forms or altering the horsepower-rating numbers on the engine is also cause for immediate disqualification from B.A.S.S. tournaments. Posted speed limits and those imposed by B.A.S.S. must be observed, and all boats must be operated in a safe manner. Violations of speed limits shall result in loss of competition hours and not limited to disqualification.

I say either Yamaha wants THEIR case on there so they allow Waynes mods on a stock SHO case or Grant has Wayne use one of his adapters on it to bolt a SportMaster on it and then it's nothing but... STAND ON IT SON!!! :beer:

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I agree Red

From what Grant has told me was they were posing the question just to ensure nobody raises the BS flag and its 100% good to go. I think they are smart to do this, that way no suprise "gray areas" pop-up.