Fastest prop on your Allison to date!

whipper

Do the cleavers run smaller (pitch) in comparison to round blades?
No pitch is pitch. distance per rotation in inches. Rake and blade design are other factors and setup with motor combo are the biggest factors. Lifting characteristics etc.. Generally cleavers lift a lot at the stern in surfacing setups. Really good for high engine heights. I think the trick to Cleavers on Allison's from what Darris and Glen Reynolds told me is rake. The older merc cleavers had lots of rake compared to the new ones. They were props that broke many records on Allison's back in the day. Still the only prop I know of that busts 100 with a 225 on a Grand Sport.

But I think you could turn a larger pitch cleaver better than a rounder eared prop as per your question. Largely because of less blade area in the tips as you eluded to and higher propshaft hights once you got going. Hole shot wont be somthing you right home about though. Midrange up should be decent though. Roys ran lots of cleavers as has his father god rest his soul.

mikesufka

Mike what was the hole shot like with the cleaver? Slip and then grab?
My buddy has a brand new cleaver and I was going to help him sell it but if I can put a large hub in it I may run it.

It wasn't spectacular, but to be honest, I didn't notice any prop that had a holeshot when it was 26 or 28 pitch on my Grandsport. For what I did, which was run solo most of the time, the Cleaver worked great. I'd say try it.

The first day I had that boat we went out to the Horseshoe Chain with Pierson and Ferrell. I was trying Mazco RE3's and some other things. They were all running 92 or 93 MPH. I put a Cleaver on and it instantly gave me 6-7 MPH. No change in motor height or set up or anything. I thought to myself - "I guess I'm on to something".

I never did try a Lightening with that boat. Maybe that would have been the ticket???? 28 pitch????? Doesn't matter now - the boat and motor are LONG gone. That was ten years ago.

MDS

whipper

Thats pretty good info mike right there. Everyone Ive talked to says basicly the same thing. The cleavers ran fast up top on there GS. BTW I know some like the Lightning on there GS but i didnt at all. I only tryed a 26 but compared to my other props it didnt cut the musterd for me anyway. It was a stock 26ET.

Lotus 50

How do the cleavers handle? I would have thought the stern lift would not be welcome on an Ally with the factory lip. Or is the key to get a high rake cleaver? And how would you know that was what you were getting?

suicidealli

A cleaver can be an awesome prop, but a hairy ride. I find them a little hard to land. Whipper is right it is a stern lifting prop. The hull should run high, and flat. The drawl back is a lot of guys have to trim the bigger wheels to get the rpms up to produce speed. Gets them in trouble. Raise the motor run with less trim. Usually run a diffent set up like this with a cleaver.. Usually a nail bitter, and I don't like to run them... I have a few , and found out if you take some diameter out of them they are safer, and you can run them harder, which will still produce great numbers.. A 14 1/2" dia cleaver is a to much for me...

I ran a 15X34 on my ss, and it scared the chit out of me.. it paddled wheeled in the mid range, and when letting out of the throttle @ wot i had to turn the wheel back to keep the boat straight. Like 3/4 of a turn of the wheel.... Dangerous...........

Roy

Last edited:

patches

A Mercury Lab Cleaver is what Josh Broussard used to run 122 with a stock block 2.5 200. He likes the way it drives. Pretty sure it was a 34

whipper

A Mercury Lab Cleaver is what Josh Broussard used to run 122 with a stock block 2.5 200. He likes the way it drives. Pretty sure it was a 34
WOW thats pretty darn inpressive driving!! Was his hull a XR? Isnt that somthing to run 122 with a 200. Double Wow. Only in an Allison.

I talked to a guy with a 28 cleaver he used for general driving around and decent top end. He like the way the smaller wheel handled at all speeds up to 92 I think it was with a promax. Ya know those T4-X props of TBucks always remided me of a cleaver cross. With 4 blades they handel way better buy the sounds of it. i always wondered also about those Hump Back Cleavers? Cool looking never head anyone drive one on an Allison though. Hears a good pic of Tods T4-X. Same as the B&W 100+ run with a 225 on a 03 i think it was. Sure an impressive prop right there!!

90 5.0

WOW thats pretty darn inpressive driving!! Was his hull a XR? Isnt that somthing to run 122 with a 200. Double Wow. Only in an Allison.

I talked to a guy with a 28 cleaver he used for general driving around and decent top end. He like the way the smaller wheel handled at all speeds up to 92 I think it was with a promax. Ya know those T4-X props of TBucks always remided me of a cleaver cross. With 4 blades they handel way better buy the sounds of it. i always wondered also about those Hump Back Cleavers? Cool looking never head anyone drive one on an Allison though. Hears a good pic of Tods T4-X. Same as the B&W 100+ run with a 225 on a 03 i think it was. Sure an impressive prop right there!!
my t4-x is my fastest prop so far on my 03, but i've only run it loaded not light. My chopper might be faster with the boat empty??

I do think the chopper drives better on my boat however?

suicidealli

IMO the tx4 is a good running prop, carries a load great. Really easy to drive, but not a top end prop. I don't think it was really meant for top end either.. It does what it is designed to do.

Roy

whipper

True enough. but there has been some setups that have run good numbers with them. I think the 4X is just a consistant prop and very durable. i would like one as a standbuy. The one that does everything good high or low, light or loaded and still manage a decent speed. Sure peerdy though aint she.:beer: Ill bet a fatshaft one would be awsome on a 300XS setup of some sort in a 30?

mikesufka

I think John Tiger Jr. did an article in HotBoat Magazine several years ago where he tested a SS2000 and a bunch of props. Would be interesting to hear from him. RacerX would be another good source. As would Bill Gohr.

MDS

John S

It wasn't spectacular, but to be honest, I didn't notice any prop that had a holeshot when it was 26 or 28 pitch on my Grandsport. For what I did, which was run solo most of the time, the Cleaver worked great. I'd say try it.

The first day I had that boat we went out to the Horseshoe Chain with Pierson and Ferrell. I was trying Mazco RE3's and some other things. They were all running 92 or 93 MPH. I put a Cleaver on and it instantly gave me 6-7 MPH. No change in motor height or set up or anything. I thought to myself - "I guess I'm on to something".

I never did try a Lightening with that boat. Maybe that would have been the ticket???? 28 pitch????? Doesn't matter now - the boat and motor are LONG gone. That was ten years ago.

MDS
You forgot to add the part where RP took it out after you half lit on rum and cokes, drove it 5 MPH faster, then came back and ridiculed you. I couldnt have been the only one that happened to, lol.

Last edited:

whipper

I think John Tiger Jr. did an article in HotBoat Magazine several years ago where he tested a SS2000 and a bunch of props. Would be interesting to hear from him. RacerX would be another good source. As would Bill Gohr.

MDS
i know Jeff sold me a 27 Alli cut trophy that hauled the mail on my GS. It sucked out of the hole but once it got going in the 50,s it spooled up like my motor all of a suden had a turbo on it and if i had more RPM and power I dont think that prop would have ever stopped pulling!!! Ran a little to flat for me on the GS. He said it went really good on his SS though. Had the trophy running 115 on his SS. Interesting prop for sure. Just wish it had more on the bottom and little more lift for my heavier GS.

Last edited:

mikesufka

You forgot to add the part where RP took it out after you half lit on rum and cokes, drove it 5 MPH faster, then came back and ridiculed you. I couldnt have been the only one that happened to, lol.
I'd say one thing - give R.P. any boat/motor combo and he'd get in and run the pi$$ out of it. Always impressive.

MDS

TBuck2003

IMO the tx4 is a good running prop, carries a load great. Really easy to drive, but not a top end prop. I don't think it was really meant for top end either.. It does what it is designed to do.

Roy
Certain props do certain things on certain rigs. No 2 boats are the same. I never designed the prop not to be fast, and wanted it to run as good as anything out there. You do not invest time,money, tooling to make a slow prop. It out ran the ET in the B&W article by 1.6 mph, and was also as fast as any three blade on my GSE with Pro Max. Went to the 260 and it was off 1-2 mph from my best wheel. Point being it all depends on your particular boat. I get asked all day "What is the Fastest prop for my boat?" and my answer is always"The one that runs the fastest."

TBuck

catfish123

I agree with you Todd, and I would like to add that I think there are very, very few of us who possess the driving skills to always wring out the last 1-2 mph out of any prop. We will make our assumptions of what the fastest prop was obviously just by the GPS numbers on any given day. 1-2 mph is such a small amount that it becomes pretty meaningless in the real world other than to give the boat driver bragging rights at the time. My "fastest" prop on my rig has changed many times and quite possibly, some of the earlier "fastest" ones would be that again, if I still owned them and had another opportunity to string it out. Now, having said all that, when it comes to stringing out my rig, Matt, my son has always taken those honors. If Todd would spend a little more time now in my boat, I'm sure it would go a few more mph. Fear, and going really fast don't go hand in hand. You won't achieve the highest number possible if you are like me, and you think too much of what might happen while you are attempting it.

Last edited: