Hooking

Have you hooked your Allison or other Hi Performance boat? (You may select multiple)

• Hooked Allison

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Hooked Other Hi Perf Boat

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Never Hooked Allison

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Never Hooked Other Hi Perf Boat

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

Dave Hensley

He didn't hook it, the motor had a non ratcheting gc that was locked in forward, what happened was the crank broke, the motor locked up and then the boat tried to turn and at that speed there was nothing anyone could of done with it.

Oh yeah I forgot, Happy BDay Meathead............
Hey Louie, are you telling us as many Allisons you have driven through the years you haven't hooked one?? A DR-20 is the only boat you got into trouble with?? I have hooked everyone I ever owned, bassboats were the least amount of fun. Too much room to get thrown around in.

john4utvols

Let me see where do I start. Probably not enough room to put them all.

1st hook

Boat- 98 ss
Motor- 280
Driver- was a friend and he let off the gas hitting another boat wake, plus he saws the wheel when he drives. Driver error.
Conditions- good warm sunny day.

1st hook when I was driving

Boat- 02 ss
Motor- 280 ss
Cond- warm sunny day, calm water
Reason- running 107 had a passenger, looked over shoulder didn't see him, kinda scared me due that he couldn't swim. So I looked again and this is when it went 180 back in the other direction. My passenger had moved over into the left corner, and I looked over my right shoulder. Only thing I can think of was I must have pulled the wheel when I looked, boat went right. Thank god it hooked 180, because I was racing another ss who was behind me on my right. I had a helmet on and the back of the helmet hit the dash and was the less violent hook I have had.

Violent hooks

Boat- 02 ss
Motor- 280ss
Cond- warm sunny day small waves from traffic
Reason- motor Wasnt running right,boat was only running 101, I was running hard has it would go and my passenger started pecking me on my shoulder. So I dropped the throttle, and hard left she went, separated collar bone.

Violent #2

Boat - 02 ss
Motor - 280 ss
Cond- warm sunny day no waves
Reason- just had motor put back on by a friend at lburg marine, I personally didn't check the hydraulic bolts, thought he had tightened them all back up. I took it for a pass at 101 it decided it wanted to hook right. Separated other collar bone. When I got it back to shore the motor would turn free to the right, bolt was loose. Lesson learned I check all bolts before I run high speeds.

Violent #3
Boat 98 xb2002
Motor built 225 ss promax
Cond cold as ****, water same, mid feb calm water
Reason- running 105 and skeg broke, boat went 180 back in other direction within seconds, I went flying out the side like superman. Luckly i had another boat and we had a plan just in case one of us didn't return. I also had on life line and helmet which both saved my life.

I have had several other hooks in my ss, I still don't blame any of these on the boat. Reason was always driver error, either I was trimming to much, or trying to get that extra mph out of it. Always have a safety boat, life line, helmet on, when running high speeds. I love Allison boats and love pushing them as hard as I can, just know the limit of your setup, and don't hit that trim button that one extra time.

Dave Hensley

"I have had several other hooks in my ss, I still don't blame any of these on the boat. Reason was always driver error, either I was trimming to much, or trying to get that extra mph out of it. Always have a safety boat, life line, helmet on, when running high speeds. I love Allison boats and love pushing them as hard as I can, just know the limit of your setup, and don't hit that trim button that one extra time."

No truer words have ever been spoken. Also, I tell my pick up person to never try and drag me into a boat if I am in water and injured. Call 911. Let the Lifeline do its job.

catfish123

Very good post!!! He, who continues to pursue higher and higher top end numbers in these boats, WILL eventually hook it. The "just 1/4 inch higher on the plate or just 1 more bump of the trim" mentality will assure that. You will quickly have the answer to your question however regarding just how far you can go up with the plate and/or the trim.

BGohr

No Louie took a bass boat for a little ride i will let him explain
Oh no Mike I can explain that one for him.

So Louie's buddy gets an Allison bassboat, Louies gonna show him it will go 100mph. So I'm standing on the dock at the broken oar with the gun, here comes Louie, hung, and I mean hung out to dry. He gets close, chops the throttle, drops the nose and the back end washes out on him, does a little lefty righty thing on him and he straightens it out. Comes over and says, what the heck was that? I told him the motor is too high and when you drop the nose that hard the prop breaks loose and you lose control of the tail. I told him you ran 98 and it had a 100 in it, go do it again, just don't chop the throttle like that again.

Ok, here he comes again, 98, 99, ooops he chops the throttle hard again, drops the nose, this time it turns hard right, Louie Supermans it out the side of the boat, bounces off the side and does a nice flip, Splash, I jump in my boat, idle over to him. First he's frantically, trying to swim to me, while I'm trying not to fall out of my boat laughing, I was like Louie, he says What, I'm like stand up its only 3 feet deep, he stands up and goes "dude what happened" I said exactly what I told you would happen, duh. When he got his head back together he looks at me and says "dude this waters cold" Let's not forget it's December 7th, and the water was like 40. Wish i had a camera for that one, he's standing in the cold water, his cash, cigarettes, goggles, whatever else he had on was all floating around him.You had to be there......So we took him in the bar and got him all anti-freezed up, he was fine then, a little Jack Daniels cured him till later........

Funny stuff

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

Only The Loser.

One thing about hooking one, it is very difficult to explain how many G's you are pulling when that keel digs in and it goes around on you. At one point in my life I was able to relax enough running fast to pay attention to the nose of the boat and feedback in the steering wheel. I couldn't catch one if it started around but could usually feel it getting ready to do something bad. Never watched the speedo or tach. Can't do it any more and sure can't drive one fast with hydraulic steering. The ride/guide would lose feel and torque when the prop was letting go. Next thing the nose would drop and away we go.

racerx

Its not a fun ride getting tossed but I have had a run in my old drag boat and it was hauling so fast I let out and it rocked side to side so bad I had time to think should I bail lucky for me it set down and then I went to the other side of the river and put a 126 mph pass and chopped it with no problems...so now I just cruise...

Freebird

Only The Loser.

One thing about hooking one, it is very difficult to explain how many G's you are pulling when that keel digs in and it goes around on you. At one point in my life I was able to relax enough running fast to pay attention to the nose of the boat and feedback in the steering wheel. I couldn't catch one if it started around but could usually feel it getting ready to do something bad. Never watched the speedo or tach. Can't do it any more and sure can't drive one fast with hydraulic steering. The ride/guide would lose feel and torque when the prop was letting go. Next thing the nose would drop and away we go.
I've often wondered about that having never driven an Allison with hydraulic steering. How do you guys with hydraulic steering feel such things?

I hear some talk about feeling the boat in the seat, but maybe my old butt is too numb for such things as that. The only thing I feel in my seat is my butt puckering when something doesn't feel right.

racerx

Word on the piers is Hensley has been sitting in those garage queens pretending he hooked as he spills his wine and pisses on himself,,,lol

gmorgan

RacerX, you need to make a doctor's appt. you're sick.

K.Kiser

Freebird,
I've never really been able to get the seat o the pants feel.. I use the expression for conversation and topic's sake but I don't actually experience it.. My feedback is in the pressure from the wheel and my eyes on the horizon kinda talking back and forth with each other.. Going across a wide open lake I've closed my eyes several times to drive on the pad with my eyes closed and still, I drive via pressure from the wheel and not butt equilibrium..

I have hydraulic in my boat and I still get some pressure feedback, not just greasy easy effort from lock-to-lock as I'd heard it was before driving hydraulic myself.. Not much as ride guide, but not an empty wheel either..

Sorry for the hijack

xb03fs

Do you think hydraulic steering allows you to keep the wheel from being ripped out of your hands I've never had a high speed hook so I was curious. Because vw defiantly had the prop blow out on multiple occasions and not had one

Dave Hensley

Do you think hydraulic steering allows you to keep the wheel from being ripped out of your hands I've never had a high speed hook so I was curious. Because vw defiantly had the prop blow out on multiple occasions and not had one
Where are you racerx. The man needs some answers. You have them all. If you don't ask your hero King William...baawaa waahhhh!

whipper

Does anyone know the Vee degree on the Xs2003 and the xb2003? AND were does the variable degrees change about the middle of the hull? I found the SS for instance on Allison's site says 22 deg. But there is no info on the XB any more and the GS doesn't say? I know every one says there the same hull. But are they exactly the same hull? even the pad and lips? i cant remember off hand. But i think the 03,s are 24 deg at the bow and 22 at the stern? Does that sound right to anyone?

Last edited:

whipper

Ok I found the grand Sport one now its 22.5 at the transom but still having trouble finding the bow entry degree. The reason is im trying to figure out if there is any real reason there seems to be more hooks with the GS over the ss or 02,s for instance. it could be just shear volume of hulls produced but could be dimensions also I dont know? One other theory might be owners of 02,s and SS boats have more experience behind the wheels of Allisons in general? i did discover a few interesting things comparing some hulls though. the 02 and GS have about the same centre length. The GS is 19ft were as the 02 is 18ft 10 inches. The SS on the other hands is only 18ft 9 inches. i would have guesed the 02 would have the shortest center leangth because they are generaly the fastest of the 3. I would guess the 02 has less deadrise than the SS and GS though but no number on that yet. the higher general speed per HP of the 02 may be contributed to the width. They have the least beam at 83 inches. The SS next at 86 and the GS at only one inch more at 87. Also the 02 is considerably shallower in the cockpit or moulded depth at only 29 inchs. 35.5 for the SS and 38 for the GS. Weight wise the SS is lightest at 770-850. The 02 at 850-900 and GS 940-980lbs.

All this data seems to say the 02 with a 260 has the highest top speed because of it more stream lined shape over the other two. the SS a very close second due to more than likely just weight over the GS but a little more aero hear and there mostly in hight but also running length.. Some one else may have the pad/lip dimensions of the 3 and see were that difference comes into play. i would also speculate that the GS,s bow being deeper entry coupled with the longest running length would touch down coming of speed sooner than the other two looking at all the data. Motor weight ,Setback,driver weight and props will play a major factor in how the hull eases down off the lip to the pad to the keel then bow to prevent hooking. Another thing would be balanced hull. The SS side steer and 02 Centre steer ill bet hook less than side steer models running solo. Especially if there's lean before coming of speed from trim or to many deserts. haha I for one have been wot and need to come down but the hull had a slight lean to her. I worried about that and tried to flatten out the hull before I come off of speed. I believe this is important not sure what others think of this? Some times its one trim up that straightens her out. If you know your maxed out trim then maybe one or two down but still with the foot down might do it. Just wiggle one way or the other in the seat works to. i know since i turned my seat base sideways and drive more center steered in the GS coming of speeds seems way easier. It could be just that Im used to my setup after all this time, but I do think there is something to that. So any way to get better balance and coming down straight as can be in calm water will help the times when coming off speed to fast is the issue. To much trim near the top is going to just be driver error and setup {to high} every time. Any way I was just going threw the hulls again and sitting hear alone with some time tonight seeing if there was some more info that might help some of the new owners we have before the major part of the season hits.

The cool thing I love about Allison's is the thought that went into every boats design to make them what they are. You don't get to be the pinnacle of boating design without running lots of data. These hulls with bigger power you cant just hop in and drive 5 guys around WOT in the chop without taking certain design elements into play and have practised. More so than mom and pops 20ft Grew with a v6 inboard that does 46mph solo. Be safe have fun and no hooking!:big grin

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
Whipper, I would like to see a GS in a wind tunnel to see what the down pressure on the windshield is at 90 mph vs other Allisons.

whipper

Whipper, I would like to see a GS in a wind tunnel to see what the down pressure on the windshield is at 90 mph vs other Allisons.
Yes there would be alot more I think also. It comes over the wind screen and just off the top of your head hence wearing a visor or ballcap front ward. Then darts down into the face of the passengers in the back seat. Just ask my wife. :big grin There was so much air hitting her in the face she couldn't breath. That back seat acts like a parachute. i looked for a race hatch for a long time and was going to make one just to see how she would feel having the air land on something smooth. My ski mirror i installed just above the top of the center of the windscreen to help break up the air. i have that thing tight and the air will still move it. I never drove mine with the plexi wind screen. But I suspect that it would create more down force but help the rear seat area a little more?

Last edited: