Hooking

Have you hooked your Allison or other Hi Performance boat? (You may select multiple)

• Hooked Allison

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Hooked Other Hi Perf Boat

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • Never Hooked Allison

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Never Hooked Other Hi Perf Boat

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters

whipper

They are my favorite boats, but they for sure have their share of dark and shady traits..
At least they have traits.:big grin its more fun to take my chances driving a Ferrari than a Pinto. or Allison vs bayliner for the same comparison.:big grin About the most trouble I could get in driving a bayliner would be breaking the throttle lever off pushing it down to far thinking there has to be more that this!!haha

Jr in Jax

I have done at least 75-100 bat turns, only 3 were unintentional. The first two were due to bad setup from the dealer and ended up backwards to a stop from 80 plus twice. The third time I picked up a small log floating just under the surface at 93 and the log jammed between my jack plate and the cone to my sportmaster, casing it to spin onto a beach. My Wife was mad since she thought I did it on purpose and neglected to tell her ahead of time. It does cause a crack on the left rear hatch where the hand rail was mounted through the deck. Jack has repaired it several times and it is cracked again now.

whipper

JR I see we are going to have to keep our Grandsports forever because we have gave out way to much info on how we drive them like we stole them!! hahaha:big grin

xb03fs

So Jr in Jax the other 97 bat turns were intentional ?
Probably good to learn to intentionally do them at lower speeds as they can be an excellent way to stop quickly. Until I cracked my can I thought it was a great way to stop from 30/40 mph. At 35 ish I would turn turn the wheel right a bit just to rock the hull up and then all the way left and gun it and chop the throttle in a fraction of a second as it went all the way left. It would break the prop free and the motor all the way to the left would make for an abrupt left turn and stop in a matter of a boat length or so at such a low
Speed you only go 90 degrees and I never ended up backwards

racerx

I did a bat turn and stop in its own tracks at 113,7 in a Triad DR 20 it tore the motor completely off the back of the bat and tossed it a 100 ft tore the inside sponson out of the boat,,that was a rough one..

Jon

Supporting Member
Probably good to learn to intentionally do them at lower speeds as they can be an excellent way to stop quickly. Until I cracked my can I thought it was a great way to stop from 30/40 mph. At 35 ish I would turn turn the wheel right a bit just to rock the hull up and then all the way left and gun it and chop the throttle in a fraction of a second as it went all the way left. It would break the prop free and the motor all the way to the left would make for an abrupt left turn and stop in a matter of a boat length or so at such a low
Speed you only go 90 degrees and I never ended up backwards
In my Moomba I would do these every day at 45mph... that was wide open in that boat which had 345hp. It was "made" to do those kinds of turns though, and they are a lot of fun. First one I ever did was with a guy on this forum when I was a kid in an old stars and stripes!

xb03fs

Boat has no problem handling them, apparently fishing mid sections not so much. I think the hulls will,turn and stop,as fast as you are comfortable holding on. Proof on this thread are the un-intentional at 80-90-100 where the boat is fine if you can hang on....

whipper

Ya i used to hockey stop till my bass can cracked .

JR is the undisputed KING of bat turns. Had a pic some wear of him doing them intentionally! haha Trust me he has perfected them and learned first by chance, its not something anyone should ever try to do. Its hard on equipment and body. i have the utmost respect for Jim he was one of the guys that helped me in a big way when I was new hear. I know lots of owner who have boated with Jim and trust me just because he can do it doesn't mean anyone else can or should even try it..:big grin

xb03fs

The cans can be found cheap, problem is the labor to have them changed is pricey

patches

I did a bat turn and stop in its own tracks at 113,7 in a Triad DR 20 it tore the motor completely off the back of the bat and tossed it a 100 ft tore the inside sponson out of the boat,,that was a rough one..
Any pics of the carnage Loser?

racerx

I myself don't have any pictures but it turned so hard and stopped the steering wheel was bent all the way to the side of the boat and the clamp on bolts tore from the rear end it was a adventure for sure...Dave it became a RAT you might want to add it to the Mic Ds collection,,,lol

propmanjay

Hooked my SS once at 90+ ridding the trim too much. I stayed in the seat but my passenger didn't. It was 100% my fault!

Jr in Jax

James is right, they are not something to take lightly and the G force is over 5 Gs. I have not pulled more than that in aerobatics [German Extra 300].

So far I have ripped the passenger seat out of the fiberglass, tore a 4" crack in my offset plate and have cracked the deck multiple times where the hand rail in the rear passes through the deck. I seldom do them anymore cause they make my shoulder hurt and give me blood under my skin [from shoulder to waist] from the G pressure against the cockpit wall.

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

I myself don't have any pictures but it turned so hard and stopped the steering wheel was bent all the way to the side of the boat and the clamp on bolts tore from the rear end it was a adventure for sure...Dave it became a RAT you might want to add it to the Mic Ds collection,,,lol
Send her down Louie. We will make a bonfire out of it!!

Jon

Supporting Member
We're at a funny place here, and I wish we had some more data on this. It is a dead 50/50 at this time on those who have hooked and those who have not. There have definitely been some similarities between those who have. I wonder of those who have not hooked how many are veteran drivers, and how many are newer to the boats. Anyway, interesting statistics thus far.

Current for AO 25/25
Current for non 12/12

catfish123

I know of people who have hooked, and for whatever reason, choose not to post about it in here. In many cases, I believe it is caused by an overwhelming need to pursue higher top end numbers. To a certain extent, a little higher on the jack plate or one more bump on the trim, MAY add a few tenths of a mph to your personal best. There comes a point, however, when one should give that up and be satisfied before you wind up :help.

Jr in Jax

I know of people who have hooked, and for whatever reason, choose not to post about it in here. In many cases, I believe it is caused by an overwhelming need to pursue higher top end numbers. To a certain extent, a little higher on the jack plate or one more bump on the trim, MAY add a few tenths of a mph to your personal best. There comes a point, however, when one should give that up and be satisfied before you wind up :help.
I agree, it is just like my earlier MX racing, there was always a little more speed "needed" right before the bike slammed me.

Jon

Supporting Member
Yeah, the couple of 1/10's aren't worth it. Water & air conditions will probably help you out more than the trim at that point. I'll be happy where I am and not try to trim to the sky.