HP rating plates

mtolley

hold on ill go look............... "manufacturers recommended max hp 90-150" and it aint a sticker?! its a plastic plate riveted to the boat beside the drivers seat. i think the newer xtb21';s were rated to 175hp. hell id be screwed with a 200 on it as well! mt

fishnfireman

hold on ill go look............... "manufacturers recommended max hp 90-150" and it aint a sticker?! its a plastic plate riveted to the boat beside the drivers seat. i think the newer xtb21';s were rated to 175hp. hell id be screwed with a 200 on it as well! mt
That's right !!!!! There are some guys still getting away with it.
But if the T director's who have adopted the rules with that wording. ever catch on as to what the sticker say...Or someone files a protest on you..Your done--plain and simple !!

So far both BASS, FLW and ALL there affiliates...That's Wallie trails. federation, BFL, TTT, Redfish, Elite Series, BASS opens rtc. The list gets longer every day.

It will not matter if it has a 90 HP motor. The Rules states "IT MUST" have a Max. HP rating attached to the boat by the CG or manufacture and can not exceed that limit !!!!!

mtolley

I have to disagree with the first part of your statement concerning the new 21 Bassport pro.
A lot of folks myself included believe that Darris bulit that boat just for the main stream tournament fisherman..
But has yet to admit it takes a lot more HP to run them near the speeds he can get out of his test boats. Simply because of the added wt's and or elevation that we have to deal with to be competative on a big circuit.
it may be thats what he built it for, but bass fishing is like car racing, "win on sunday,sell on monday" when folks look at any pro bass tournament be it televised or not, there aint no Allisons, Bullets, Strokers on there! why? my guess is that none of these mfg throw money at b.a.s.s to support their product, and i dont blame them. i wouldnt either.i can remember as a kid going to weigh ins after a tournament and there would be boats by every mfg under the sun, and most dont exist anymore. this day in time folks buy a bass boat to say they own one wether they fish out of or not. and most cant drive them either, and there tritons and such. Allisons ,bullets and strokers and im sure that there are other "drivers" brands aint for the common man to go buy. it takes a considerable amount of skill to handle these boats properly. most of the bass boats sold today the folks cant drive them at all and complain about chine walk, they aint never seen chine walk till they get in a REAL v-pad hull and it will scare the bejesus out of em. i read somewhere awile back where some soul bat turned a damn triton! how is beyond me unless hes just plain stupid! maybe one day i can afford to buiy one of the new 21's, ina bout 20years when the kids are gone! lol mike t

jimmyb

the moral of the story is to talk to your tournament director before entering a tournament where the rating plates might be an issue. Most of them are reasonable and if you guys agree that you are legal, you should be safe, even if protested... or get it in writing

honestly, it has NEVER been a problem around here, but the issue did come to light a few years back when some guys were DQ'd at boat inspections because they had NO capacity plate. Most tourney directors that i have talked to have said the old allison plate was ok. However, the wording on the new XB21's, makes it more cut and dry. You better not be running anything over 225!

TAC44

Well I wasnt trying to stir up a hornets nest or anything. Sorry. I just wanted to be legal without any question as to why I smoked a 20' or 21' anything with a 250 hanging off of it.

SLOmofo

Well I wasnt trying to stir up a hornets nest or anything. Sorry. I just wanted to be legal without any question as to why I smoked a 20' or 21' anything with a 250 hanging off of it.
It's not hornets it's, Flying Monkeys much more dangerous.

It looks like my wife and I won't be able to fish team tournaments anymore when we buy our next boat.

fishnfireman

when folks look at any pro bass tournament be it televised or not, there aint no Allisons, Bullets, Strokers on there! why? my guess is that none of these mfg throw money at b.a.s.s to support their product, and i dont blame them. i wouldnt either.i can remember as a kid going to weigh ins after a tournament and there would be boats by every mfg under the sun, and most dont exist anymore. mike t
Your exactly right miket.
We are the last of a dieing breed, so we need all the help we can get. It's tough enough to be an independent. --without having to deal with issues like this. I know of at least a dozen tournament fishermen who would be in a new 21

fishnfireman

The Elite series puts the final 12 in a Triton for the final day. The first days of the tourney they fish from their personal boats. I thought I read somewhere that in 2008 the Elite Series pros were going to use their personal boats for the duration of the tournament from now on so they could fully promote their sponsors. Has anyone else heard this?
I have heard this.
BASS is a little less strict on letting you show your sponsors than FLW is. BASS requires the Elite series boats to be wrapped. It was getting harder for the guys to get good sponsors to pay for advertisment on the wrapped boat when BASS would not let them fish from it on the last day. Which of course has the most film coverage.
I have fished some FLW events, when they would tell you at the boaters meeting. You will not wear any clothing that is not a sponsor of FLW to the weigh in.
The tournament director said, "feel free to wear your Allison shirt on my stage..However if you want your fish weighed. That shirt better be covered up with a Ranger jacket" !

If your going to play there game you have to follow there rules..Kinda like the HP rules!

mtolley

ill be nice and not tell the FLW, Forrest L. Wood, and Ranger boats where they can stick it! these "rules" are why i dont fish big bass tourneys. yes, there needs to be rules, but that example is just plain ridiculous. granted FLW stands for you Know who, they might as well call it the "ROT" (ranger owners tour).. a little off topic but worth mentioning concerning the xb02 and xtb21 hp ratings is this: at the time of these boats design and begining manufacturing, the current BASS hp limit was 150hp( circa mid 1980's) both of these boats would outrun the competition with less than 150 hp and just flat leave them with 150hp. wasnt it just a few years ago that BASS had a 225hp limit? is it higher than that now? i beleive that when Darris was designing the new 21's the limit was 225 and has been raised since its inception?

fishnfireman

granted FLW stands for you Know who, they might as well call it the "ROT" (ranger owners tour)..

wasnt it just a few years ago that BASS had a 225hp limit? is it higher than that now? i beleive that when Darris was designing the new 21's the limit was 225 and has been raised since its inception?
FLW "ROT"

It is the same, and yes that is there goal--to put everyone in a Ranger. Sell more boats --make more money...Whatever it takes for them.
I believe you are right about the BASS Hp limit being changed (again).
If the western boys get there way it will be upped again !

pickwickangler

Hey FNF do you know of anybody that has ever been turned down or DQ'd from a tourny because of the old allison plate? I called FLW and talked with several directors on the phone and every one of them said that the plate was absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt GOOD TO GO. I just hate seing this topic get drawn out when there has been no evidence that I have seen or heard of a ally or any of the "unlimited" plated boats thrown out of competition. I say power up and fish :beer:

fishnfireman

honestly, it has NEVER been a problem around here, but the issue did come to light a few years back when some guys were DQ'd at boat inspections because they had NO capacity plate. Most tourney directors that i have talked to have said the old allison plate was ok. !
jimmy,
I'm a little confused.....Did you not claim. the number one reason you went from brand A to brand B. was because of the rating plate ? Now you claim It's not a problem !!!!

There is a good reason why the 2 largest tournament organizations have changed the HP rating rule to read as it does now. After that deal you spoke of jimmy. The rules committee got together to see how to avoid anymore problems . I can guarantee you that someone on that rules committee knows all about the Allison sticker, and they are tired of having to deal with us and it. The guys in the front office could care less if anyone in an Allison with a

pickwickangler

Right now, the average small event directors for the big 2.. Are not forcing the issue. They are allowing guys to fish simply because they need the entries..
Thats not the info I got from FLW. They told me the ally plate was not a issue. They had to come up with a rule because a guy got DQ because he had took his horsepower/recommendation plate OFF and thought he was ok because he still had his load rec. plate. I was a little worried till I talked with the proper authorities and they assured me It was fine.

fishnfireman

Hey FNF do you know of anybody that has ever been turned down or DQ'd from a tourny because of the old allison plate? I called FLW and talked with several directors on the phone and every one of them said that the plate was absolutely beyond a shadow of a doubt GOOD TO GO. I just hate seing this topic get drawn out when there has been no evidence that I have seen or heard of a ally or any of the "unlimited" plated boats thrown out of competition. I say power up and fish :beer:
That would be ME ! in my LAST boat.

I have a letter from C.Littrel and D.Grimes of Operation bass in Ky. That I was fine to fish there TTT events on Lake Amistad. After the rule changed I called to make sure..They said NO DICE.

You say something about "unlimited" As far as I know there is no issue with being rated as unlimited. Also as far as I know, Allison is the only bass boat who has not put a max rating or unlimited. Only the recomended HP on there 20' boat. I think most will agree an unlimited rating --means they will stand behind any motor your big enough to bolt on the transom.

All I can say about--The "several directors" you talked to is----Please send us a stack of letters. signed sealed and deliverd that clear any unrated boat to fish with up to 250 HP .

While your at it give BASS a call. Hopefully you can get this all straight.

jimmyb

jimmy,
I'm a little confused.....Did you not claim. the number one reason you went from brand A to brand B. was because of the rating plate ? Now you claim It's not a problem !!!!

There is a good reason why the 2 largest tournament organizations have changed the HP rating rule to read as it does now. After that deal you spoke of jimmy. The rules committee got together to see how to avoid anymore problems . I can guarantee you that someone on that rules committee knows all about the Allison sticker, and they are tired of having to deal with us and it. The guys in the front office could care less if anyone in an Allison with a

Darth VMAX

Wow!

Yep, 16K is hard to look past if all you have to do is be in a different boat! That would have got you a nice used Xb2002 to blast around with on your own time (or like you mentione, use if for more substantial reasons).

RedAllison

Jimmy you dang sure showed 'em ALL this year, you dun us proud that's for sure! :beer: I DON'T fault Jimmy for anything, heck I don't blame him. SOMEONE gonna take that money home, might as well be in HIS pocket, no sense in leaving money on the table! I just find it funny that the majors feel compelled to pay customers for sales.

BUT on this particular topic I think it's kinda funny when the "major builders" have to come up with (or subsidize existing trails) trails of their own and then PAY people contingencies just to assure boat sales each year. :cuss Even if they DID want to become major players in the business, I could NEVER see men like Darris Allison, Bill Hill or Chub Bryant actually PAYING "Joe Schmoe" to buy new boats each year or two. I can see a few pros being paid or given a memo boat deal, but not wholesale contingency programs open too the John Q Public.

I can see why an XB21 costs over $60K. (Don't agree with it, but at least I feel the value, quality and performance is there.) But if you wonder why in the world common boats like Ranger and Triton are now over $50K and in some cases $60K, then you only have to look at their contingency programs lumped on top of their HUGE "pro" programs. They gotta get that money from SOMEWHERE!!! :confused:

I'll stick with my "slow" 85mph bassbarge 225 and be VERY happy thank you!!! :gone fishing
RA

Last edited: