Lastest news on the new Grand Sport

22R

I don't know alot, but I called Bill at Allison a couple weeks ago for a new front console (plastic plate ) for my 02 and I asked him about it just to make conversation. He stated that just before the Christmas holidays that Darris had a meeting with them and said that he was done with the hull. He said that no matter what changes he makes that the boat won't run any better and that the next step is to build the mold then start working on a top cap for it. Didn't ask for a time frame, but I would wager that it won't be too soon if the past is any indicator. He did say that business was doing pretty well and that they were also doing some repair jobs---good to hear in todays economy.

Later,
22R

RedAllison

Is it still a 24ftr? I heard lastyear it was cut back to 23ft.

Either way, if the hull is done that's usually the hardest and most time consuming part of his designing. The topcap should be a "fairly easy" ordeal. Of course "fairly easy" in Darris time is probably not anywhere near our "fairly easy" period of time.

STILL orta be awesome, gonna finally be a eastern builder that is taking on the west coast builders FRONT AND CENTER in that size and style market!!! :beer:
RA

Darth VMAX

Anyone have any inkling of what size the seating/cockpit area is going to be? I know the boat is going to be bigger overall but I can't see it being able to seat more than 5 adults (just more legroom) It would be nice if its wide enough to fit 4 adults across the rear bench without being squeezed in.

Scott Gilmore

Cool, MAYBE my future grandkids can give me a ride in one 20 years from now when it's ready !!! Scott :beer:

Yellowallison

:big grin GOODNEWS is by the time Darris is DONE Mercury should have released the 1000HP Verado by then....:big grin

And hopefully my 401K want be dried up and I can buy me one last new YEALLR Allison before I kick the bucket :LMAO:

Last edited:

David Lanham

I was at the plant last Friday picking up my rig. Had the pad blue-printed plus some cosmetic touch ups.

Darris was the only one there for the first hour or so until Nancy showed up. Of all my Plant visits over the years I

whipper

Thats David for the info.
Nancy told back in Sept that Darris cut her back a foot also because he just couldnt get the 24ft to anything better than a 23ft. For what he had plans of the hull doing 23 worked better. Really 24 is a bit long,about a foot to long.
23 fits in my Garage.
I have the pics from a couple of years ago when the 24Grand Sport had the 225 on her and a temparary SS top cap. Lots more feeboard. So at 23 she sould be a real fun boat and handle the choppy wake board boat slop better than anything else in the stable on a buisy day!!
The hull was on a standard trailer in the pics. She looked quite a bit wider in the beam judging by the overhang of the chines in relation to the fenders? Dont know if that means theres room in the back seat for 4 accross or not? Not a big deal to me but there was more beam there. Not to many boats have 4 accross seating that size in a performance Vee boat. Glad to hear hes done with the hull part!!

Darth VMAX

I know there is not much out there in a 23ft class that can sit 4 across (outside of an I/O) type boat. Maybe he could offer a "U" shaped back seat to be able to get 6-7 people in the boat (Like a Campion Chase series). To me, It would be nice for the boat to offer more than a better ride and more storage over the XS2003. The ability to haul a couple more people would be a bonus as well.

just my little ol' .02

RedAllison

Is it going to be a bass boat? :gasp:big grin
Darris HAS asked us what we thought about the idea of a basser that big, 1st time was when he showed us the plug a couple of years ago during the rally. We said, "HAYULL YESSSS they would sell." Won't be the boat for extremely shallow and standing timber but for the big lakes like the TN River system, upper MS and the Great Lakes it would ROCK and be THE ultimate in a luxury, ultra-comfort bassin rig! :at the bar

It's pretty easy to make a couple of different topcaps for the same hull,
RA

Fishforcash

That would be a cool boat with the new 250 Zuki 4 stroke on the back. Cruisin' 70+ and talkin' on the cell phone. :cool:

racerx

I think,they should be building, retro 14ft allisons at a resonalbe price,heck a 24 alley is gonna cost you over a hundred grand,water ready,whos got that these days...They should think small, with small motors,that can out run all jet skis..

Rusrog

I think,they should be building, retro 14ft allisons at a resonalbe price,heck a 24 alley is gonna cost you over a hundred grand,water ready,whos got that these days...They should think small, with small motors,that can out run all jet skis..
I'd be more int he market for something like that as well!

GotMyAlly

I would too if it weren't for the ride. THe water around here is much too rough to run something that size every weekend. It would beat the boat and your spine to pieces.

patches

I'd be more excited about a reasonably priced XR2002. I'd like to see them in the 15000 to 16000 range.
I've said before and I'll say again that I personally have no desire to own a 23 or 24 ft boat. I like the sports car feel of the 20 ft boats and can't help but think that it would be lost with the bigger boats. I understand there's plenty of guys that have to deal with rougher waters but luckily I don't have to. If it weren't for the dumb a** EPA regs on 2 strokes maybe the smaller boats would still be pertinent. Sure would be nice to still be able to buy 225 Promax's and 260's.:soap box

Scott Gilmore

I'd be more excited about a reasonably priced XR2002. I'd like to see them in the 15000 to 16000 range.
I've said before and I'll say again that I personally have no desire to own a 23 or 24 ft boat. I like the sports car feel of the 20 ft boats and can't help but think that it would be lost with the bigger boats. I understand there's plenty of guys that have to deal with rougher waters but luckily I don't have to. If it weren't for the dumb a** EPA regs on 2 strokes maybe the smaller boats would still be pertinent. Sure would be nice to still be able to buy 225 Promax's and 260's.:soap box
I agree 100% with dat post !!! Scott :beer: